And another year begins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
IMG_1341.JPG IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1347.JPG There is never really a true beginning to the firewood season but I'm calling yesterday the closest thing to it. Had 2 workers getting used to the new splitter while I did some cutting. I know the picture doesn't look it but there's about 2.5 cords in the split pile. My teens worked on it for a little under 4 hours. Loving the new machine. So it's 2.5 down and another 125+ to go!

-9 here and snowing, so not really interested in splitting right now. Should be warming up in about 10 days so I'll get going then! Looks like you have had some descent weather? I'm staying tuned for the progress reports!

-9 here and snowing, so not really interested in splitting right now. Should be warming up in about 10 days so I'll get going then! Looks like you have had some descent weather? I'm staying tuned for the progress reports!
It was in the low to mid 30's which is nice wood weather to me.

I got a really good deal on this used machine. Although I've heard some negative things about the 6 way wedge, I don't see it coming off very often.

The paint isn't even off the wedge! Sure doesn't show any signs of being used by anyone who amounted to anything. Good for you.

The paint isn't even off the wedge! Sure doesn't show any signs of being used by anyone who amounted to anything. Good for you.
It was just over 3 years old with 23 hours on it. A guy who owns a tree company was going to go into the firewood business but it never worked out for him so it sat in his garage the whole time. He gave me the original bill of sale when I bought it from him and I got it for a little under 4k less than what he paid for. A win for me for sure!

If you leave the wood splitter in the wood lot you can pull the hitch off very easily with a cordless to deter theft. Then remount when using to pull it ahead. Word will spread that a big, beautiful splitter is sitting there. I also turned my hitch over to accommodate the quad a little better. There is a grease zerk for the pin pinning the cylinder rod to the push plate. It is inaccessible. You will need to support the cylinder and pull the pin to grease it and reinstall.

If you leave the wood splitter in the wood lot you can pull the hitch off very easily with a cordless to deter theft. Then remount when using to pull it ahead. Word will spread that a big, beautiful splitter is sitting there. I also turned my hitch over to accommodate the quad a little better. There is a grease zerk for the pin pinning the cylinder rod to the push plate. It is inaccessible. You will need to support the cylinder and pull the pin to grease it and reinstall.
Thanks for the heads up about the grease zerk. The more knowledge I gain from fellow/previous owners, the better off I will be.
Right now I just have a pad lock in the pin hole on the hitch. I feel pretty confident that should be good enough. The splitter sits out in my mom's field about 150 yards off the road but is not visible from the road. She has cameras that will record anyone's vehicle pulling in or out of the property along with a sign stating the property is under surveillance. It is also fairly well known in the area she owns shotguns and knows how to use them :) But in all seriousness I do realize nobody is 100% safe from thieves.

The first four photos are a series of breaking down one round.
The next photo is the wedge modification, which could probably work on the bottom wing of a six-way.
The last photo is the hidden grease zerk on the cylinder/push plate pin.
If your leaving the splitter in your wood lot, at the very least I would pull the hitch off, and probably go farther than that, adding a trailer screw jack on one side and pull the wheel at night, making it as awkward as possible for someone to hook on to and drag off.
IMG_1505.jpg IMG_1508.jpg IMG_1510.jpg IMG_1513.jpg IMG_1467.jpg IMG_1528.jpg IMG_1529.jpg IMG_4146.jpg

Wednesday the 14th is the dreaded day for this wood chucker again ... about 6 weeks till spring break up and mud to the ankles ... wood blocks and 100" length for now, and splitting on them days that nothing "wood go right"... HAPPY WOOD HUNTING !

Our firewood season officially started January 22nd. We had a few sheds to finish up after the new year so we got a little late start than what we normally do. With that being said we have 30 cords done already. We are usually cutting for a day and a half and then we switch over to splitting until its gone and start all over again. The weather has been kicking our ass this year. Goes from brutal cold, to snowing like crazy to 50 degrees. Last week we got close to a foot of snow during the week. I have 2 guys working full time on firewood plus me. So when we cut 2 guys are cutting and one is in the machine feeding us a logs. With the power split it really takes 3 guys to be efficient. 2 guys splitting all the time and one guy keeping the tables full of rounds and then switching out bags. We just had 10 loads of logs delivered as well. My flatwork contractor mentioned he was having his woods logged and the logger was looking for someone to take the firewood logs. I was like i'll take all of it. It was only 10 miles from our shop so the logger was happy that it was so close. All of it was pretty much cherry and white oak. I've never had so many cherry logs on the site before. So our goal is to do 100 cord by the first of April. It will be close but I think we will make it. Our best day so far splitting has been 5 cords in a day. My guys are still learning how to read the wood and getting the hang of the power split foot controls. The machine is very efficient, no real comparison to the TW-5 I used by myself last year.

IMG_1006.JPG IMG_0996.JPG IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3804.JPG IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1003.JPG

Our firewood season officially started January 22nd. We had a few sheds to finish up after the new year so we got a little late start than what we normally do. With that being said we have 30 cords done already. We are usually cutting for a day and a half and then we switch over to splitting until its gone and start all over again. The weather has been kicking our ass this year. Goes from brutal cold, to snowing like crazy to 50 degrees. Last week we got close to a foot of snow during the week. I have 2 guys working full time on firewood plus me. So when we cut 2 guys are cutting and one is in the machine feeding us a logs. With the power split it really takes 3 guys to be efficient. 2 guys splitting all the time and one guy keeping the tables full of rounds and then switching out bags. We just had 10 loads of logs delivered as well. My flatwork contractor mentioned he was having his woods logged and the logger was looking for someone to take the firewood logs. I was like i'll take all of it. It was only 10 miles from our shop so the logger was happy that it was so close. All of it was pretty much cherry and white oak. I've never had so many cherry logs on the site before. So our goal is to do 100 cord by the first of April. It will be close but I think we will make it. Our best day so far splitting has been 5 cords in a day. My guys are still learning how to read the wood and getting the hang of the power split foot controls. The machine is very efficient, no real comparison to the TW-5 I used by myself last year.

View attachment 632485 View attachment 632486 View attachment 632487 View attachment 632488 View attachment 632489 View attachment 632490 View attachment 632491
Seems like a nice operation you have there. You said you hope to have 100 cords by April 1st. Do you stop there or do you go all year and if so, how many cords total?
Also curious what you are paying for your load of logs?
Around here cherry will bring more than oak so if I ever come across a decent amount, it pays to keep it separate.
A thread with video of your guys running the powersplit would be fun to see.

Latest posts

Back