And another year begins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a nice operation you have there. You said you hope to have 100 cords by April 1st. Do you stop there or do you go all year and if so, how many cords total?
Also curious what you are paying for your load of logs?
Around here cherry will bring more than oak so if I ever come across a decent amount, it pays to keep it separate.
A thread with video of your guys running the powersplit would be fun to see.

Our main business is backyard storage sheds. We do the firewood in the wintertime when we get caught up with storage sheds. That way I can retain my employees, keep them off of welfare for the winter, and then I don't have to start the next shed season with green guys that we have to retrain. So usually by April 1st we are back to building storage sheds, so I need to get all of my wood processed in about 3 months. We usually pay around 90-100 a cord delivered for the logs. Just depends on how far they are coming from. We got lucky with these last loads because the woods they are logging was so close to our shop. We plan to separate out all the cherry as well.

Our main business is backyard storage sheds. We do the firewood in the wintertime when we get caught up with storage sheds. That way I can retain my employees, keep them off of welfare for the winter, and then I don't have to start the next shed season with green guys that we have to retrain. So usually by April 1st we are back to building storage sheds, so I need to get all of my wood processed in about 3 months. We usually pay around 90-100 a cord delivered for the logs. Just depends on how far they are coming from. We got lucky with these last loads because the woods they are logging was so close to our shop. We plan to separate out all the cherry as well.
Good on you for finding ways to keep your guys busy.

IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1082.JPG IMG_3830.JPG IMG_3868.JPG

We officially wrapped up our firewood season today. We're going to split a little bit on Monday yet to fill up some racks for walk up's but other than that we are done. Had the guys boom me up on the forklift tonight to take some aerial shots. We officially started the season on January 18th, and wrapped up today. So we worked roughly 45 days on firewood. Of that 30 days was splitting, 15 days of running the saws. We filled 310 face cord bags. The power split is an awesome machine for splitting wood. My guys had never split wood before on any kind of machine so there was a little bit of a learning curve at first but they figured it out. Depending on the day we usually averaged between 10-12 bags a day. I think 13 was our best and the least we ever did was 8.

Back