Another Black Widow Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberjack

Banned
Reaction score
According to the Manufactors guidelines you could use the 1/4 in Black Widow, and a micropulley, keeping a good 5:1 bend ratio. The recomended minimum ratio is 4:1, and for $18 from Sherill you can get a lightweight system for small limbs. If you kept 10%WS then with the pulley, this rope, and an large 8 you could theoretcaly lower 700 pound peices!! I wouldn't put that load on it, but I like knowing that I could.

The Point I am making is that you could lower as much as you do on a 5/8" rope with a 1/4 inch rope. The whole system would weigh under 10 pounds, wereas the 5/8" rope would weigh more than that.

Carl

Yeah that is pretty cool-but you do have some handling issues with small line and heavy loads because it can be hard to grip.

I would do it. The math is more or less right. That rope is super strong...just remember there is little or no stretch with that stuff, so account for that.

Originally posted by SilverBlue
I don't want want to give the customer or onlookers any ideas that they can use regular 1/4 rope to do other jobs.

Were you kidding about this? With that rational, you shouldn't use a chainsaw, either....as you might give a customer the the thought that they, too, could take down that tree if they only had a saw!

love
nick

ps- (I think a lot of them think that anyway)

Isn't this what Sherill's promotion on this item all about . A mini part time utility type bull line in a compact package, without the bulk.

I would get some of this, if wasn't so darn expensive for the use I would get out of it. It definately has a time and a place in the tree businss.

It would be nice to have it's size and strength, only not so expensive. It would just be another tool that would make the job a little easier, should the situation call for it.

Back