Another fun day at the shop, shops share your stories..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, I agree there. I'm a auto mechanic, and that's why I'm very tight lipped to customers asking for information, they get mad sometimes, but hey its my job, and that's how I make a living, the knowledge I have wasn't free, so why should I give it away, if it was a good customer that I know is coming back, that's a different story.

+1000, our service manager gets "calls" from people all the time wanting to speak to a tech about fixing their car. I tell him to get a credit card # and I will call them back, LOL. Good customers usually get a answer, if I'm feeling good that day.:D

I had a great day today. No customers or anything, but when I got there in the AM, I found a few lazy pine trees in my lot. Figured they must have been tired, because they were laying down.......

The good part is that they blew down next to the building, rather than landing on it!

Had some pretty good wind here last night, and a pretty fast snow melt from the recent hot temps. The news was just showing trees down all over the place.

+1000, our service manager gets "calls" from people all the time wanting to speak to a tech about fixing their car. I tell him to get a credit card # and I will call them back, LOL. Good customers usually get a answer, if I'm feeling good that day.:D

Ha ha LOL, the credit card idea is a good one. I'll have to use that.

Will

I can do it myself, okkkkkkkkkk

Fellow came in last week wanting seals for a 025. I say you ever work on one of those. I can do it I'm told. I'm like okkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Today its on my bench tore apart again, guess he couldn't do it afterall,lol.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Now my turn. Is there some new way to post pics? Seems my old way isn't working anymore, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

well... get used to the price shopping... because times are getting harder. even folks that never haggle are starting to...

since I do all my own work... service is not a factor. but support on parts is... when I go in and the stihl dealer has to order the parts I'm needing... heck I can do that too.

if I took the time to go by the dealer with a list of parts. sorry there's no other way to find out if you've got em in stock and how much without looking em up. I was in the parts business for 15+ years.

now it's nothing compared to some on AS... but I must have 15+ chainsaws laying around... which most are Stihl and all will need $$$ parts at some point.

spent several thousand $$ for chainsaw gear in the last 6 months... been thinking of getting a new MS660.. just because... how much $$$ do you think my local stihl dealer got?

don't get me wrong... all stores need to make a profit to stay in business... as a matter of fact I'm a strong proponent of supporting your local stores. I'm willing to pay slightly higher to give business to my local dealers. but not 2x-3x higher....

for instance... I'm needing several rim sprockets... local dealer is $15ea... mail order is $4 ea + $2 shipping.... a loop of 3/8 20in chain is $26, $400 + 100ft roll vs $240 +shipping for a roll

Last edited:
well... get used to the price shopping... because times are getting harder. even folks that never haggle are starting to...

since I do all my own work... service is not a factor. but support on parts is... when I go in and the stihl dealer has to order the parts I'm needing... heck I can do that too.

now it's nothing compared to some on AS... but I must have 15+ chainsaws laying around... which most are Stihl and all will need $$$ parts at some point.

spent several thousand $$ for chainsaw gear in the last 6 months... been thinking of getting a new MS660.. just because... how much $$$ do you think my local stihl dealer got?

don't get me wrong... all stores need to make a profit to stay in business... as a matter of fact I'm a strong proponent of supporting your local stores. I'm willing to pay slightly higher to give business to my local dealers. but not 2x-3x higher....

for instance... I'm needing several rim sprockets... local dealer is $15ea... mail order is $4 ea + $2 shipping.... a loop of 3/8 chain is $26, $400 + 100ft roll vs $240 +shipping for a roll

I hear ya, those are some high prices. I am thankful to have a few good stihl dealers around me, but there is plenty of high priced stihl dealers too (along with other brands).

I bet all you dealers just love the "I just need the carb adjusted" type of people. If it just needed adjusted, how come you didn't do it?

Here is a little story about my closest husky dealer. So I needed an anti-vibe spring for my 262xp, they look it up and can't find it. So I have to go online and find the part number myself. So I go back in and give them the number, they don't have it. Ok, can you order it? Ya, but you have to pay shipping. How much? At least 10 dollars. What, don't you get free shipping when you make larger orders? Nope. You can wait till we make a larger order and then we will divide the shipping among the other orders too.:dizzy:

Dr. THALL are you going to start hip replacements .....Mines going to need it after this coming weekend .......:):)

Sure. Hey Joe hand me that little one hander saw over there, the one with the blood all over it, yup that one, thats my operation saw. I need sharpen it, got another client with hip problems coming over. Go ahead and clean the work bench with some bleach and wipe away all that dried meat off the wall.

What time you coming to get that hip worked on again???????????????

Last edited:

if I took the time to go by the dealer with a list of parts. sorry there's no other way to find out if you've got em in stock and how much without looking em up. I was in the parts business for 15+ years.

for instance... I'm needing several rim sprockets... local dealer is $15ea... mail order is $4 ea + $2 shipping.... a loop of 3/8 20in chain is $26, $400 + 100ft roll vs $240 +shipping for a roll

Understandable, we all like getting a good deal. As long as you are comparing apples to apples and not Stihl Chain to Carlton.

Yesterday sucked

Manifold replacement on my sisters Tahoe,commend all of you that do this for a living.Glad I don't everyday anymore.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Back