Another fun day at the shop, shops share your stories..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and did you replace the carb....or not....that's the question :fart:

I sure did and I didn't even bother to try and clean the old one or fool with a kit, not wasting his money or my time. Whole saw smelt like old foul fuel. Was no need for me to even open the old carb, I knew what I was gonna find. It took a trip to file 13 the second it left the saw.

My motto is when in doult throw it out...............

I used to run a motorcycle shop. Guy comes in needing a tube replaced. I told him 25.00, and he thought that was waaay too much, it only takes 10 minutes to do it. OK, you do it then I sd. Sold him the tube for 8.00.

One hour later he comes back in to buy another tube to replace the one I just sold him that he had pinched. The guy left w/ another tube.
Little while goes by and he returns, this time w/ the rim and tire. You pinched it again didn't you? He frowned and sd. yes, and asked if I could do it now, he needed it in a hurry.
So, I told him to watch carefully while I changed it. Just for kicks, I did it in less than 5 minutes. Then I told him that will be 45.00. He came unglued. 45.00?? You sd. it was 25.00. I told him it was 25.00 for the flat, and an additional 20.00 for the lesson on changing a tube.

He never sd. a word, just paid the bill and left. He later became one of my best customers. That was 15 years ago and when I see him he still talks about it. Lesson well learned. You pay for the experience, not neccessarily the job.

Reminds me of a case where I was the customer. My Explorer was banging and shuddering something fierce. I thought the tranny was going. It had a bunch of miles. Took it to the independent mechanic that I use to diagnose the problem and give me an estimate. He called me that afternoon and said it was done. Went down, paid $100 and drove it home. Seems the transmission cross brace was loose and banging when accerating. I was thrilled. My wife was not so happy. "$100 to tighten some bolts?" she asks. I tell her "No, it was $10 to tighten the bolts and $90 to know what bolts to tighten." BTW, he as a flat $99 diagnostic charge for any vehicle that comes in. I can understand that. He had too many people coming in, getting an estimate which also told them what was wrong and the customer picking up the car and fixing it themselves after they find out what is wrong.

Billing him 7.50 for that too,hehehe

I get a handful of those too. Love em. The ones that drive me nuts, they drop off the saw and 4 months later it's still on my shelf.

Don't mind too much...I just bill them for storage ;)

What do saw dealers do with.....

What do saw dealers do with unclaimed saws? Charge a used retail price? Charge what they have in repairs? Are these saws offered to anyone or just frequent customers? I've read what a couple of your guys do. What about the rest of you?

On another topic, a guy that I program/run his CNC plasma cutter for has a saying when someone asks what something is going to cost. His stock answer is "A MILLION DOLLARS". Then his 45.00-125.00 doesn't sound like so much.

attachment.php

What do saw dealers do with unclaimed saws? Charge a used retail price? Charge what they have in repairs? Are these saws offered to anyone or just frequent customers? I've read what a couple of your guys do. What about the rest of you?

On another topic, a guy that I program/run his CNC plasma cutter for has a saying when someone asks what something is going to cost. His stock answer is "A MILLION DOLLARS". Then his 45.00-125.00 doesn't sound like so much.

attachment.php

I've only had one guy not come get his saw. After about 6 months I sent word to him through his uncle, tell that man his saw will be on the sell block next week if he doesn't come get it. He never came so I kept my word and sold it just for the parts I had in it, no labor. I wanted it gone and cheap was the way to get it out of my way...

When selling used saws do dealers have to follow Stihl's rules of no internet sales. Doesn't matter either way to me just curious.

Got no idea. I've never needed the internet to sell a Stihl. Why ship it when it can be sold just as easy out the door and forget all that shipping info and headache.

attachment.php

That one on the right looks new!:clap: The Asplundh guys here love 'em, I got 3 running this week and got to fix the chain brake on another. They use 036s, 026s, and 361s mostly.

btw, get any "new" saws in?:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

That one on the right looks new!:clap: The Asplundh guys here love 'em, I got 3 running this week and got to fix the chain brake on another. They use 036s, 026s, and 361s mostly.

btw, get any "new" saws in?:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah that one on the right is in nice shape. Funny part is that raggy POS on the left is the one that runs.

Yeah I got a few new 181's in. Neat looking little saw. 16 inch bar on that thing with the .043 chain on it. Next Wednesday I'll get some 211's in.
Also found out Stihl is coming out with a new cheaper carbide chain for the smaller saws now. Maybe they found out I hate sharpening chains,hahaha

Yeah that one on the right is in nice shape. Funny part is that raggy POS on the left is the one that runs.

Yeah I got a few new 181's in. Neat looking little saw. 16 inch bar on that thing with the .043 chain on it. Next Wednesday I'll get some 211's in.
Also found out Stihl is coming out with a new cheaper carbide chain for the smaller saws now. Maybe they found out I hate sharpening chains,hahaha

I've been told about that cheap chain for 2 years. Several of my tree guys use the expensive stuff on throw away saws (like the wild thing) for root pruning.

I'm gonna stick to my "show me" clause on this one...That cheapy carbide chain has left me with egg on my face a few to many times now.

. . . Man bought a 361 and left it behind. . . . . 30 minutes later here comes the 036pro on the left. Man tells me his neighbor is moving away and gave him that saw. He goes your a saw man, you want it? I'm like don't you want it, he goes naaaaaaaa I don't need anymore saws. . . . So within 30 minutes two 036pros find they're way to daddy. . . Not bad for freebies...

I agree. I also think since us guys at the shops have to put up with all those people we should get all the freebies,LOLOL

(Gotta get me a shop . . . )

Philbert

Reminds me of a case where I was the customer. My Explorer was banging and shuddering something fierce. I thought the tranny was going. It had a bunch of miles. Took it to the independent mechanic that I use to diagnose the problem and give me an estimate. He called me that afternoon and said it was done. Went down, paid $100 and drove it home. Seems the transmission cross brace was loose and banging when accerating. I was thrilled. My wife was not so happy. "$100 to tighten some bolts?" she asks. I tell her "No, it was $10 to tighten the bolts and $90 to know what bolts to tighten." BTW, he as a flat $99 diagnostic charge for any vehicle that comes in. I can understand that. He had too many people coming in, getting an estimate which also told them what was wrong and the customer picking up the car and fixing it themselves after they find out what is wrong.

Ya, I agree there. I'm a auto mechanic, and that's why I'm very tight lipped to customers asking for information, they get mad sometimes, but hey its my job, and that's how I make a living, the knowledge I have wasn't free, so why should I give it away, if it was a good customer that I know is coming back, that's a different story.

Latest posts

Back