Another gaff thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blakes: I'm not sure of the long term durabilty (sinse mds has been bucket fortified for a couple years now, so no 40 hours climbing anymore here) however you can get parts, and the tip themselves require just an allen wrench and probably some locktite to swap out. Sure they aint cheap but I think theyre worth it - especially climbing that much.

A bucket bunny, eh? Just kidding. I will probably pony up the bucks for a set of gecko's eventually but I was just trying to point AP toward something cheap and comfy. As far as those gecko's go, any idea how many hours you have on them and what's your weight, if you don't mind me askin'. Those things make a huge difference in the longevity of a spike.

caddy pads

caddy pads will solve your problems. I was in the same boat not long ago. I mainly climb as a hobby, and prune and take down for friends and family. (I do climb professionally, just not trees. Rope access for rigging for the entertainment industry...) Anyway, I had the standard steel buckinghams with the leather "L" pads. Since I climb in spurs mabye 5 or 6 times a year, I cant justify spending money on geckos or 400 for a premium pair of boots. The cast aluminum pads, i got mine from wesspur, made 250% difference in comfort, and for only 60 or so. For some one like me who climbs rarely enough, much less on spurs, the caddy pads seem like a no brainer.

If the shank is twisting, try taking a wrap around the shank with the ankle strap, that keeps it locked in place for me, I found they would slip past the heel if I didn't wrap them, you might have to get a longer ankle strap, I have size 5 feet !...and tighten that top strap as tight as you can bear it.
I have a pair of Bashlin aluminums with leather pads...nothing fancy and they work just fine, five, six hours no problem, no shin chafe, they get used about once a month if that.
I wear short boots, but they are chainsaw boots (SIP) so they have kevlar in betweeen the leather...maybe helps with padding?

just drop the coin on the Geckos, i have some love them to bits, i dont spend 40 hours a week in mine, i only wear them when i have to, i hate spikes there a pain in the arse, ive had mine about 3 years and done about 500 hours on them and they look like new still

Are the gaffs adjusted properly? Have seen folks take them out of the box and strap them on without realizing they can be made longer to fit better. If your pad is over the widest point of your calf they will twist. Should be just below the knee. As for twisting, a wrap around the ankle strap can help, I find the pads with the insert, velcro wrap with insert, or the aluminum pads to work best to prevent twisting. The euc pads with 2 straps also work well.

I just skimmed the thread but I didn't see where anyone mentioned using offset stirrups (twisted shank). Taking a wrap on straight shanks does help but the offset shanks are much better. I just use regular l-shaped pads with no problems.

I climb with hiking shoes also with no problem.

I've used the same set since 1991 just replacing pads and gaffs when necessary.

As many have said the big Euc type pad (I use velcro) and the wrap on the shank should work to stabilize the spike but your ankle still has to turn and if you are still getting pain try taking a small towel and wrapping it around your ankle and use the old standard, duct tape.

I get pain in the achilles sometimes and it works. Also if an all dayer I sometimes use a pair I have set up with foot plates.

A bucket bunny, eh? Just kidding. I will probably pony up the bucks for a set of gecko's eventually but I was just trying to point AP toward something cheap and comfy. As far as those gecko's go, any idea how many hours you have on them and what's your weight, if you don't mind me askin'. Those things make a huge difference in the longevity of a spike.

I'm only 160-165 lbs.

As far as hours on them go...I'm not really sure to be honest. probably not too many. I never really worried about how long they would last, just use em when I have to as someone else said. I'd reccomend them strongly though.

bucket bunny huh...yeah I suppose its getting like that some. Its more about just making money these days, though sometimes it seems too easy and I miss climbing, just not everything, every day. Besides I can offer my customers a better service with the truck, I find we can "give" (lol) more for thier money...

Get the spikes ya cheap skate, youll love em.

yeah he has them.

I've got them with the amercan spikes and they are mint. I hardly know that there on.

Blakes: I'm not sure of the long term durabilty (sinse mds has been bucket fortified for a couple years now, so no 40 hours climbing anymore here) however you can get parts, and the tip themselves require just an allen wrench and probably some locktite to swap out. Sure they aint cheap but I think theyre worth it - especially climbing that much.

trust me,i have seen his outfit. he could break an anvil.

I've got them with the amercan spikes and they are mint. I hardly know that there on.

I didn't realize you could get them with the american style spikes. That would make a world of difference.

I didn't realize you could get them with the american style spikes. That would make a world of difference.

Yeah, they kick a$$. I keep them so sharp that I rarely have to kick in too hard - unless hickory or some other nasty.

You can also interchange the tips, its all the same other than just the actual spike part. The tips are like 80 bucks I believe.

i was gonna grab some last time...........

Yeah, they kick a$$. I keep them so sharp that I rarely have to kick in too hard - unless hickory or some other nasty.

You can also interchange the tips, its all the same other than just the actual spike part. The tips are like 80 bucks I believe.

i was at Vermeer in Seymour.they only sell em with the euro gaffs.i told them to call me when they get some in with the american gaffs.

Never had a problem....but I suppose its possible.. maybe too fat of a climber makes the spike dig too deep???

Burger King can be a MoFo on the waistline

Always felt it was common knowledge you get em too sharp and smaller profile by sharpening they gonna stick in hard dead wood and be difficult to pull out (and that is what you should be spiking most of the time instead of live wood). Kinda like banging a nail in a tree and you need a claw on a hammer to pull out.

You been in the biz very long? no offense meant. I likely have one of the most hours on spikes on the forum.

he's been on spikes a LONG time.

Always felt it was common knowledge you get em too sharp and smaller profile by sharpening they gonna stick in hard dead wood and be difficult to pull out (and that is what you should be spiking most of the time instead of live wood). Kinda like banging a nail in a tree and you need a claw on a hammer to pull out.

You been in the biz very long? no offense meant. I likely have one of the most hours on spikes on the forum.

i know from working with treeMDS.he's an excellent climber.i learned a lot working for him.if he says it,i'd pretty much take it to the bank.

still though,personal preference is what it is.

Thats alright, no offense taken...probably deserved that for the burger king comment. lol, some beers yesterday must have been talking...sorry bud.

As far as my spikes go: I just like to keep em sharp thats all. I never mess with the angles sides part (other than a burr or two), just the flat part.

Been in the biz 13 years now for myself. About 20 or 21 years treeworkin.

I'm only 160-165 lbs.

Get the spikes ya cheap skate, youll love em.

Wass that, little man? :laugh: Yeah, I am pretty cheap. I even drink beer outta the can most times. I'll spend the dough when my current climbers call for replacement but I have a feeling that will be down the road a bit. :cheers:

Back