Another gaff thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats alright, no offense taken...probably deserved that for the burger king comment. lol, some beers yesterday must have been talking...sorry bud.

As far as my spikes go: I just like to keep em sharp thats all. I never mess with the angles sides part (other than a burr or two), just the flat part.

Been in the biz 13 years now for myself. About 20 or 21 years treeworkin.

I have issues on some types of wood ( spruce, pine, most softwoods ) when my spikes are too sharp. Usually not an issue but I've found if I stand at the same spot too long with all my weight on the spikes they sink into the tree a bit far and can be hard to pull out. About a week after I sharpen them they get juuuuusssssst right for a few more weeks.

Wass that, little man? :laugh: Yeah, I am pretty cheap. I even drink beer outta the can most times. I'll spend the dough when my current climbers call for replacement but I have a feeling that will be down the road a bit. :cheers:

Yo blakes!

I got a stove grate I'll send you, see what you can fashion out of that big guy. :hmm3grin2orange:

caddy pads will solve your problems. I was in the same boat not long ago. I mainly climb as a hobby, and prune and take down for friends and family. (I do climb professionally, just not trees. Rope access for rigging for the entertainment industry...) Anyway, I had the standard steel buckinghams with the leather "L" pads. Since I climb in spurs mabye 5 or 6 times a year, I cant justify spending money on geckos or 400 for a premium pair of boots. The cast aluminum pads, i got mine from wesspur, made 250% difference in comfort, and for only 60 or so. For some one like me who climbs rarely enough, much less on spurs, the caddy pads seem like a no brainer.

After talking with a WesSpur rep this afternoon, I finally decided on the aluminum 'caddy' pads over the ultra stiff wrap pads. Sounds like either would make a big difference. I hope so. I should get them in a week. Unfortunately, I don't have any removals lined up for the next 2-3 weeks so will have to wait to see how they work...

After talking with a WesSpur rep this afternoon, I finally decided on the aluminum 'caddy' pads over the ultra stiff wrap pads. Sounds like either would make a big difference. I hope so. I should get them in a week. Unfortunately, I don't have any removals lined up for the next 2-3 weeks so will have to wait to see how they work...

Sounds good AP, I hear great things 'bout them caddy's too.

I have the old school buckingham steel spikes with leather pads and i hate climbing with them. They always twist on me and cut into my shins. I wear a short boot. I realize that wearing a tall climbing boot might help with this problem but, I just am an occasional climber (bucket truck baby) who does mostly pruning. I use spikes maybe a couple of times a month for removals when I can't get my aerial lift into the area. Tall climbing boots would seldom get worn except for when I wear spikes.

I do not have a problem with spending money on either better gaffs to wear with my short boots or on tall boots to wear with my buckinghams. As a worst case scenario, I would even consider buying both climbing boots and new spikes.

Can anyone suggest a good gaff to work with regular short work boots that won't twist or dig in and is comfortable for the occasional user? I've read a lot about the geckos. Do they work good with short boots or do you need tall climbing boots.

If having a tall boot is the only solution, does anyone make a climbing boot with an integrated gaff? For me, it would make sense to have an integrated system as I would only wear the tall boot when climbing with gaffs.

Thanks for input.

Scott
Probably a little late here but are you wrapping the ankle strap around the spur shank one complete wrap.

I have the old school buckingham steel spikes with leather pads and i hate climbing with them. They always twist on me and cut into my shins. I wear a short boot. I realize that wearing a tall climbing boot might help with this problem but, I just am an occasional climber (bucket truck baby) who does mostly pruning. I use spikes maybe a couple of times a month for removals when I can't get my aerial lift into the area. Tall climbing boots would seldom get worn except for when I wear spikes.

I do not have a problem with spending money on either better gaffs to wear with my short boots or on tall boots to wear with my buckinghams. As a worst case scenario, I would even consider buying both climbing boots and new spikes.

Can anyone suggest a good gaff to work with regular short work boots that won't twist or dig in and is comfortable for the occasional user? I've read a lot about the geckos. Do they work good with short boots or do you need tall climbing boots.

If having a tall boot is the only solution, does anyone make a climbing boot with an integrated gaff? For me, it would make sense to have an integrated system as I would only wear the tall boot when climbing with gaffs.

Thanks for input.

Scott
Hey Scott, I see two problems creating your issue with your spikes. #1 I assume because u mentioned "old school" spikes that the shank is non-adjustable and therefore probably does not fit you properly in the first place, the ideal height is approx 1/2" under the bone that slightly protrudes from the inside of your knee, you may find it more comfy slightly lower but you ideally want the tallest shank you can comfortably wear. This makes a massive difference in the twisting of the spikes. And #2 the "t-pads" are basically the cheapest most non-user friendly pads made. I highly reccomend pads such as the "big buck" or "super climber" pads with double shin straps. I just bought the aluminum Climb Right tree spikes with the superclimbers pads. And as for the height of yor boot, I've used hikers and loggers both and either is fine but I prefer my loggers because the heel holds the spikes in place and less wear in my ankles. Personal preference there. Good luck!

I have big buck wraps with the buckingham velcro lowers as well and it doesn't matter what boot I wear. As long as it has a shank in it i'm comfortable all day

What's the difference between euro and American spikes, just gaff length?

Geckos are worth every penny. I had an old pair of steel Buckingham spikes as well. They twisted all the time and were super uncomfortable. The Geckos are so comfy you barely even know they are there and they don't twist. I've had mine almost five years now and broke a spike once. Other than that, no problems and they're still in great shape.

Latest posts

Back