Another log arch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry quinn

Proud dad of a US Marine.
Reaction score
Just got done building this one. It`s eight foot long and thirty inches wide at the back. 2000lb. winch which is really slow, might have to change that out. spindles from a car tapered wheel bearings. The rims were from a garden tractor but the offset was wrong, Had to cut the centers out and move the rim out ward. I made the hitch adjustable in 2.5in. increments. The front log holder is adjustable the full length of the main tube for different length logs. I should be able to carry up to a 20 ft. log with no problem. I made sure and did a lot of gusseting to strengthen the joints up. Can`t wait to try it.

Attachments

• log arch 001.jpg
    log arch 001.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 212
  • log arch 002.jpg
    log arch 002.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 218
  • log arch 003.jpg
    log arch 003.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 182
Very soon, I have to put tubes in the tires or find some new tires. They leak and wont hold air. Would like to find some 12" tires off a ATV but no luck yet.

Very soon, I have to put tubes in the tires or find some new tires. They leak and wont hold air. Would like to find some 12" tires off a ATV but no luck yet.

i have pretty good luck with slime in tubless tires. It works less good for me in tires with tubes. I also plug a lot of (non highway) tires that have holes in the sidewall or holes in the tread too big for slime with.....i guess they are called plugs, the kind you put can put in without taking the wheel off the machine. I also use slime sometimes on leaking tire beads.

Heres your action shot. It worked perfectly. Except the winch it sucks, You have to crank the cable in and out takes forever. TSC has a two speed hand crank winch that I think will be a lot better. That ash log was just over 16ft. We are excited to get in the woods now.log arch 006.jpg

Attachments

• log arch 005.jpg
    log arch 005.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 61
coolness! Looks store bought!

Speaking of which..you never see log arches in the box stores. Small tractors (riding lawnmowers called tractors), splitters, trailers, side by side buggies, etc..but no arches. Seems like a niche that could be filled.

coolness! Looks store bought!

Speaking of which..you never see log arches in the box stores. Small tractors (riding lawnmowers called tractors), splitters, trailers, side by side buggies, etc..but no arches. Seems like a niche that could be filled.
Until just recently I didn`t even know what one was, But in the last four months there have been two homemade ones on the local craigslist. Maybe their catching on.

Nice work!
As a fellow "weekend engineer" I'm always looking for the weakest link. I would check into the load rating of your wheels and be mindfull a large log will pull the rear wheels of that vehicle off the ground.

Very nicely built arch. If you need balist in the tow vehicle it looks like you could block some rounds and toss in the small dump bed. Nice setup.

The wench in your action pic looks fine.

The winch needs a free spool option, they are really a bear without it.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back