another! recommend me a saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursaps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have about $500-$700 to spend on either a new or used saw. the main use for this saw will be milling for the next year or so, (mostly hardwood, some red pine) then it will be used as a felling, bucking, milling, all around saw. i was hoping to have a 36"-42" bar on it. I have no preference on brand name, but want to stick with the major manufacturers. (husky, stihl, (older) jonsereds, and possibly dolmar.
i have purposely not named any specific saws in order to see what is suggested.

i know this is asked all too often, but i can only hope there are guys on here that never get sick of this discussion!!

Same question, sure, but the milling aspect gives it a different twist. I'm really interested to see who mills, and their comments on whether there is a single saw size ideal for both purposes.

i guess i thought i could get away with less than an 084 or 3120, i was thinking a 80-90cc saw, and more along the 36" bar, the 42" would be rare if ever needed. and i am leaning towards finding a used saw, but if i have to buy new i will wait till the money is saved up for it.

Given your budget and requirements, I would think a Stihl 084 could be had or a Stihl 066, Husky 2100/2101, or a 394/5 with money left over to port it.

I'd try to find a nice used Stihl 076. Old torque monster that is well suited for milling, especially in hardwood. What mill will you be using? 36" Alaskan?

I've been searching for just the right 076 to use in place of my 051 for milling, a nice example can be had for around $500 around here.

She's a might bit heavy for bucking all day though, unless you're a stout fella.

But hey, you've got a 372 XP - I'd use that for felling and bucking and leave the big fella on the mill. But that's just me.

Yea you're tight for a milling saw bud. 066 would be pushing it unless it's smaller wood mostly. Might be alright with softer wood. I'd look for a used 090 or 076, etc. May have to throw in a 100 or so more but thats the way the ole cookie crumbles.

Hard to beat an 090 on a mill but that`s about all you would want to use it for. I have used mine for felling and bucking but they are overkill as lighter more nimble saws do these jobs better. 090`s have been found for the price range you mention but not often, just have to keep out a sharp lookout and have your money handy.
Pioneerguy600

Hard to beat an 090 on a mill but that`s about all you would want to use it for. I have used mine for felling and bucking but they are overkill as lighter more nimble saws do these jobs better. 090`s have been found for the price range you mention but not often, just have to keep out a sharp lookout and have your money handy.
Pioneerguy600

I agree with that, things are like boat anchors! I think a 066 would be about all you would want to lug around all day. Those old 076's and on up are heavy beast! May just buy your miller now and try to save up for something used to run on the ground when you need it. Thats about all I can think of. I know moneys tight though so...

I used the 088 for milling and it did great. I sold it to a member on here for what you're wanting to spend and he is happy with it.

I tried the 660 for milling and was'nt impressed at all in hard wood. The saw would bog alot. The 088 was happy as could be.

Basically, you want the biggest cc saw that you can find.

so far i have been seeing a lot of stihls mentioned, is there a reason other than they are popular among board members? (and that they are better than husky's :deadhorse:)

I will be using a 36" homemade alaskan, and milling mainly oak, maple, and some red pine for a sugar house build we are doing.

i have both stihl and husky dealers close by, and both are great. I was curious about the 066/660 being able to handle milling duties, cause they would also be nice in the woods, versus the heavier brotheren. i have used my 372 in milling, and it wasn't too happy about it, hence why i want something that can handle milling, and woods duty when the time arises.

Last edited:
You will need the biggest you can get 90+cc's all around saw would be 90cc but not sure that your really looking at a milling saw or bucking saw I see it as 2 complete differnt saws all together really wouldnt want to carry my 880 to much.......Oh that 372 you have should buck anything but the very big monster I would go big! 100+

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back