Anti-vibration gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I will be cleared to return to climbing in 2 weeks. This will be 10 weeks following my operation to repair tendons, etc. The doctor told me I need to wear an anti-vibratition glove on my left hand. Any virbration from the chainsaw will stunt the regrowth of my ulnar nerve. Very critical. Please advise as to the BEST anti-vibration glove on the market.

Thanks,

Steven

Just think what might happen if you jump in too soon. Things might never heal correctly, and then you really be up $hit creek.:(

I'ld take my time healing up if I was you.

But I guess then you'ld be me! :alien:

All gloves attenuate some vibes. The cushier the better. I don't know what specialty gloves may be available but I would suggest giving yourself extra time before running a chainsaw.:angel:

Try visiting this company, located in a Mecca of Treecare knowledge and wisdom, Minnesota. They carry high-tech (loosly translated, 'expensive') contractor's gloves and have a selection of specialized gloves for dudes who build stuff and work with their paws. Click on the products, read the descriptions; you may find what you're looking for.

I guess, you're fortunate that it's your left wrist, not your right. Hang in there, Man. You may wanna get used to tugging your pull cord with your right hand. A few quick, jerky left-handed pulls on a starter cord could toast an already toasted wrist.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/a/shop/dlist.asp
or directly to a glove designed specifically to be anti-vibe and wrist supportive.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/a/shop...&GEN0=&GEN1=&T1=10567+SM&c=catgloves&s=3K2AVG

Hey Neb,

Glad to hear that you are going OK and getting cleared for active duty.

Like Tree Co says make sure the doctor knows what you are going to be doing. The doctor may have a " vague " idea of what an arborist does, just make sure he knows " exactly " what your plans are. I told some doctor one time I was an arborist (tree trimmer ), his reply to me was this " You must have a very nice fireplace in your house " Insult big time :angry: they may think they know but really they don't when it comes down to it.

Also like Tree Machine says try starting a saw right handed it's not that difficult. You would be surprized at how much compression a small saw has when you try to pull start it with a weak left wrist, plus you run the risk of a jerk back on the pull cord with a weak wrist.

Enough said, keep us informed on your progress from time to time.

Tree Machine: Thanks for the info.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice/encouragement. I will take it slow. I have actually consciously committed myself to slowing down. In rehashing my accident the one constant theme is that, if nothing else, working too quickly was a large contributing factor to my injury.

SilverBlue:

I have read up on chainsaw safety. I was already well aware of kickback concerns, but now I am aware of the chance of "bounce" as well. Bottom line - - two hands. I also bought a pair of chainsaw chaps to be used by whomever is operating the groundsaw. I also bought hard hats with chin straps for both the groundman and myself. I already had ear protection and eye protection. Do you recommend any other personal protection equipment? If so, I will not hesitate to buy it and use it.

Thanks,

Steven

Anti vibe

Alot of motorcycle gloves have a reinforced and padded palm, mostly for protection against heel of hand to road impact. Perhaps your best bet would be some winter weight gloves, just cut the stuffing out of the back to give your hands some breathing.

Bought a pair of Iron Man gloves at a hardware store. Special cushioning material, anti slip coating, specially formed to follow the hands shape.
$30. But they are great. Yellow & black color easy to find.
Motorcycle gloves as mentioned could also be a good choice if they're not too thick.

Four additional suggestions bearing in mind the goal is to allow you to work comfortably, safely without aggravating the arm.

Not knowing what tree, or ground saws are used,....

1. Oregon has developed some saw chains that actually reduce vibration, and-or have increased cutting speed.

"Vibe Ban" is a redesigned cutter chassis at the rivet holes, and cutter heel. 3/8". ,325, and 3/8" Lo Profile.
The new second generation "Vanguard" is great for reducing vibration, and has a cutting speed equal to LP, except when cross cutting/buried nose cutting as in felling (only 5% slower).
It really fools you because it's so smooth.
If you can get past the looks, it should impress you.

"Chamfer Chisel" is a new working corner that takes less power, and can stay sharper longer. Only in 3/8" Lo pro for now. Some chains are also available with "Chamfer Chisel & Micro Lite"(below).

"Micro Lite" is a thinner chassis, cutter, and much lighter bar & chain combined weight. Chain speed is faster due to a narrower kerf. Won't last as long for a commercial application, but the much faster speed, can be a trade off. It is only available with a guard link, which will increase vibration, however.....the trade off is the "Vibe Ban" chassis, and the "Chamfer" cutter combination can offset the guard link.

2. Bars with a larger nose radius actually cut a little smoother, but the kickback frequency is increased.
That could be a trade off that isn't so good for safety.

3. When starting, slowly pull on the starter rope till you feel it begin to get very hard ("lock up'). Piston is now under compression. Then pull smartly (correct angle) and hard.
It greatly reduces the shock load to you and the recoil assembly.

4. Buy from Red Max, or Stihl, the spring cushioned starter handle. You can even make one buy simply copying what they've done. No patents are involved.

Have Carpal Tunnel in both hands., and a friend who recently had two arm-wrist operations. One involved wrapping a tendon around the nerve. Helped, but the rehap was one big...'ouch'.

Hope you feel better real soon.

Last edited:
Nicely done

You deserve an auditorium applause for giving us those nuggets of beneficial info. Best to your recovery, and I'm sure many others without wrist problems are now cognizant that 'this could be them' someday, and can approach their climbing career with this foresight. -TM-

Keep the ideas coming!

I checked out that link. I was thoroughly impressed with the description of the ice gloves, and was sure I was going to order a pair. When I read the price for this ONE pair of hi-tech gloves, I felt like I took a hit from a flying salami. -TM-

Holy Macaroni & Cheese!
fall.gif

So I'm glad to hear you are O.K., but what happen? is this coporeal tunnel an accident or what? Just curious. I have been climbing with those winter wonder gloves, I don't think they'd be much help to you though sorry.

Back