Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happily lurking! Question re: 1930's

I've been happily lurking this great antique saw thread. I'm just wondering here....were there any saws from the 1930's? I did see a couple from the 40's.

I'm assuming that it's true that Andreas Stihl invented the first gas powered chain saw in 1929. So... I also presume they didn't get into the hands of loggers until somewhat later, in the 1930's.

So, it would be fascinating to see a chainsaw from that decade, to note any major design changes in later models.

Just curious,
Tom

Yeah, I don't think they got into loggers hands in the USA (at least not on the Left Coast) until the 1940,s - and didn't really take off until the post war building boom of the 1950's. Of course any info sorting this out better would be very nice to have :)

Euhhhh, I think you are a bit confused there, Randy....Contra's for ex.were shipped by the container loads to the US in the sixties as far as I know...

Yep and they propped open barndoors. Like all stihls of that era, they were heavy and underpowered.
Too bad they didn't borrow the power made by the Homelites, when they borrowed that design.

choremaster

That choremaster is the same as a Bolens, the chainsaw was put together by Clinton. They are decent saws.... usually run a 1/2 inch pitch chain on a spur sprocket. Should be good for large logs, but not the best for limbing.

attachment.php
This may be the oldest one I have, not sure. Oh, it runs also.

Euhhhh, I think you are a bit confused there, Randy....Contra's for ex.were shipped by the container loads to the US in the sixties as far as I know...

I think you're confused Roland. Randy was actually logging on the 'left coast' at the time. Randy has a better handle on what was actually used (based on experience rather than shipping records).

Yep and they propped open barndoors. Like all stihls of that era, they were heavy and underpowered.
Too bad they didn't borrow the power made by the Homelites, when they borrowed that design.

000_0199.jpg

They could have at least came up with a more original model #. All the West Germans could be bothered to do was switch a couple digits......:laugh:

Now now Randy that wasn't very nice ......................

McBob.

No but it was an appropriate and truthful response.:cheers:

Love these old saws.

OBTW - where do you all get decals ?? We have the nice Boles thrifty, but I need new decals for the ends of the tank as the old ones are gone or almost gone :(

Love these old saws.

OBTW - where do you all get decals ?? We have the nice Bolens thrifty, but I need new decals for the ends of the tank as the old ones are gone or almost gone :(

Bruce there's a fellow that makes decal sets for many old saws. Name's Joe Salva, and his business is Sugar Creek Supply. A few outlets sell his decals, and he sells them direct too. I'll give you his contact info soon. I don't believe he has done any of the Bolens saws yet however. Do you have the data plate from that saw? I noticed this afternoon that it's missing. That's an interesting little (but heavy) saw. I'll shoot a pic or two and put them up here for you while I'm tinkering on it. The bar oil tank is very unusual. Piston looks good through the exhaust port, and it feels like it has just about all the compression left that it had when that engine came out of the Tecumseh factory. Oughta be a runner once I rebuild that Tillotson HC. Hope it has spark. I was thinking about the Homelite 990G "that got away" which you mentioned today. Too bad you couldn't snag it. It's the gear drive younger brother of my 900D that I pictured above...

All's good ...

That's good to know on the decals. No motor plate, long gone before Pop got this saw. It was a "left behind" from a ranch renter when they took off. He kept it in the garage for years, finally gave it to the Park a few months ago. All I did was basic clean-up and soak the piston/rings with BreakFree (just to stop any rusting).

As far as the others, the Clinton is still hiding somewhere? I'll bring it in as soon as my cousin finds it :bang:

So it looks like we have some "transition saws" from the era of upright to the start of lite weight, compact Mag saws. Now we just need the older stuff. Between all of us, we'll have plenty of Mag to add to the collection/display at the Park :)

It's coming up with a two-man EIL, or Disston, etc. - and a gear drive that might be a bit harder to do ... But, we have time.

OBTW - the co-op heard about our GTG concept and they are on board with the idea. So we have to start getting that planned so we can alert the folks on the Boards :)

You coming over to cut on Sunday coming up?

That's good to know on the decals. No motor plate, long gone before Pop got this saw. It was a "left behind" from a ranch renter when they took off. He kept it in the garage for years, finally gave it to the Park a few months ago. All I did was basic clean-up and soak the piston/rings with BreakFree (just to stop any rusting).

As far as the others, the Clinton is still hiding somewhere? I'll bring it in as soon as my cousin finds it :bang:

So it looks like we have some "transition saws" from the era of upright to the start of lite weight, compact Mag saws. Now we just need the older stuff. Between all of us, we'll have plenty of Mag to add to the collection/display at the Park :)

It's coming up with a two-man EIL, or Disston, etc. - and a gear drive that might be a bit harder to do ... But, we have time.

OBTW - the co-op heard about our GTG concept and they are on board with the idea. So we have to start getting that planned so we can alert the folks on the Boards :)

You coming over to cut on Sunday coming up?

Not 100% sure yet. Getting this weekend squared away with the boss (Mrs Eccentric). I just sent you an email about the set of chaps that the association has. Also, I'm thinking about donating my Mono built Montgomery Wards WD60 to the association once I get it running. That'll round out the 'transitional group nicely. As you said, we need to scare up the earlier stuff next. I have plenty of '60s/'70s saws to "demonstrate", but want to keep those in my collection/working stable.

Latest posts

Back