any advice for a new saw owner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to your list:

You shouldn't need a spare plug, or a spare chain, or a spare bar, or a sprocket for quite some time. Bar oil, which I didn't see on your list, is cheaper than buying new bars and chains. if you want a different size of bar, Bailey's (follow the link at the top of the page) has a bar locator you can use.

I wouldn't buy any spares atll until you have 10 tanks or so through the Craftsman, because I'm betting you might want to invest in a different saw by then.

I shouldnt NEED such things, but I am guessing that they put the longest bar they thought would work on that engine, there is another post where someone replaced the bar with a smaller one and said it turned the saw into a much better unit. I agree with that philosophy. I have a hunch that i'll need a spare plug before i go thru 10 tanks of gas :) Its a small saw, but I have a small lot, and no desire for house heating fuel. I have a few fallen dead trees to practice on, and even a few small trees to try to drop in the comming years before I even consider the nightmare ones(i keep saying this, but no one listens :hmm3grin2orange: )

as for the trees, like I said, thats another matter, and another thread. others have felled some already, but I did not like the way they did it, was sure i would do it a safer way, with less risk overall.

I am betting I use it 2 days a month, 6 months a year, and will be done using it in 5 years, unless i decide to get wood heat, but then i'll get a better saw

I shouldnt NEED such things, but I am guessing that they put the longest bar they thought would work on that engine, there is another post where someone replaced the bar with a smaller one and said it turned the saw into a much better unit. I agree with that philosophy. I have a hunch that i'll need a spare plug before i go thru 10 tanks of gas :) Its a small saw, but I have a small lot, and no desire for house heating fuel. I have a few fallen dead trees to practice on, and even a few small trees to try to drop in the comming years before I even consider the nightmare ones(i keep saying this, but no one listens :hmm3grin2orange: )

as for the trees, like I said, thats another matter, and another thread. others have felled some already, but I did not like the way they did it, was sure i would do it a safer way, with less risk overall.

I am betting I use it 2 days a month, 6 months a year, and will be done using it in 5 years, unless i decide to get wood heat, but then i'll get a better saw

If you're not back in 2 months with at least 1 new saw and 3 new bars, you'll be kicked out of the club!

Have fun with it, and stay safe.

Along with the chaps and what not, I would get a good helmet with face shield, might save your a$$ in case of a kickback. If those trees are hollow, you may want to talk to a tree service about maybe coming in with bucket trucks to start limbing them from the top down, take some of the top weight off of the trunk. If you tackle them yourself, find a few trees that are not in a "danger zone" that you plan to take down and practice felling them where you want them to hit. I also strongly suggest you watch for widow makers, I have seen more than a few trees like that with some old dead limbs holding on by a thread come down and almost kill someone taking the tree down, trees like that are nothing to fool with, they don't care how cautious you think you are. Also make sure you have clear escape routes when the tree comes down. Good luck.

Along with the chaps and what not, I would get a good helmet with face shield, might save your a$$ in case of a kickback. If those trees are hollow, you may want to talk to a tree service about maybe coming in with bucket trucks to start limbing them from the top down, take some of the top weight off of the trunk. If you tackle them yourself, find a few trees that are not in a "danger zone" that you plan to take down and practice felling them where you want them to hit. I also strongly suggest you watch for widow makers, I have seen more than a few trees like that with some old dead limbs holding on by a thread come down and almost kill someone taking the tree down, trees like that are nothing to fool with, they don't care how cautious you think you are. Also make sure you have clear escape routes when the tree comes down. Good luck.

agreed, and common sense. bucket trucks dont wanna come in because the only good footing for them is near the power lines, and if something went wrong.....same fears on climbing. no widowmaker branches, as the trees are alive(with heathly green branches) but half of the ones cut have 75% of the trunks core filled full of sawdust.

like I said, this needs to be in another thread, but I am not close to being ready to ask about it. for the next couple years, I'll let em fall and let the power co deal with repeatedly re-attaching the power. they want to do it that way, fine by me.

Last edited:
That's brilliant! What was she made out of?

thats another thread, on an entirely different forum :)

foam, cloth, and glue.

building the 1/2 scale this year, launch next year. build full scale next year, launch year after, then a lot of tests, then manned.

and you guys think I am gonna die in a tree related accident?

thats another thread, on an entirely different forum :)

foam, cloth, and glue.

building the 1/2 scale this year, launch next year. build full scale next year, launch year after, then a lot of tests, then manned.

and you guys think I am gonna die in a tree related accident?
So now we have to change it to; How can you tell when a cheesehead is about to die? When he says, "Hey ya'll, anybody got a match".

now for something completely different

craftsman 40cc 18" #358.350830
......anyone got anything else to add, or an order i should prioritize this list in? I've done some cutting when I was younger, but nothing serious, and I shudder about what i didnt know then that i know now.

I'd add a review of your disability insurance. BTW, I work with many insurance companies & chose refundable DI for myself.

Also, read the posts about 'worst injury you've had' & 'weird stuff inside tree'. I found those as helpful as the safety info.

Our power co trimmed branches touching same powerlines to the house as you've described. Try asking again (quarterly, yearly), in case they add this as a 'new' service. At least they should be able to schedule to turn the power off so if something does touch, it would not be live electricity adding to your problems.

Consider reviewing your homeowners insurance. You may be able to add a 'rider' to get coverage for this or switch to a company that includes. I'd pursue this last since there's usually a $500 deductible you'd have to cover first yourself, but your agent might know something. This might be the month/year to switch to the lowest deductible while this work is happening.

Recently I found out our town offers chipper service a few weeks in Spring for anything less than 3in - glad my tax money is coming back this way instead of having to rent one. So, you may want to ask various town departments for help; even consider the fire department. Now that would make a cool picture for your profile here!

Remember to look up if you cut/when you're cutting those dead trees.:monkey:

This is such a great site! I've enjoyed the responses.

I shouldnt NEED such things, but I am guessing that they put the longest bar they thought would work on that engine, there is another post where someone replaced the bar with a smaller one and said it turned the saw into a much better unit. I agree with that philosophy. I have a hunch that i'll need a spare plug before i go thru 10 tanks of gas :)

I will bet you my ms 660 for that much cutting you will not need a new plug and go to tractor suply and get a gallon of bar oil it's way cheeper then what I run(stihl oil) it's like $7a gal instead of$14 and that will last you a long time and don't run Poulen mix(craftsman) it's the same crap run stihl 2stroke mix or amsoil mix it will last longer and run better

So now we have to change it to; How can you tell when a cheesehead is about to die? When he says, "Hey ya'll, anybody got a match".

Silly boy, folks in Wisconsin don't say "ya'll".

My Wisconsin girl lost most of her accent years ago, I always enjoyed hearing her talk. My grandfather (back woods Florida) used to tell her "Say something so I can hear your accent"

Back