any DECENT 60 TO 70 CC SAW under $600.00 new??? or maybe nice used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find yourself a used 044 or 440....imo they are a lot better than any of the above dolmar/makita options. Heck a 372 is even better than those options.
Dolmar 6400 is a heavy big saw for only 64cc. Same size as a 7900/1. Good saws though!

bcorradi,
that's also not even fair to compair 2 70cc+ saws against a 64cc saw. 6-10cc's is a lot when you're talking about middle weight saws. How about we compair the 7900 to the 440, 044, 441, or 365/372???

All the above stihl and husky saws are good choice and it is true that the 6400/6401 is a little heavy for being 64cc's but you can drop a 84cc big bore kit on it for less than $100 and 1.5hrs of work at most. Neither the husky or the stihl can drop a top end on to become a 80cc saw. Also not mentioned by the husky and stihl fans is that the 6400/7900 series has the best antivibe system right now. I noticed stihl put spring AV bushings on the new 311 though so that might all change in the future.

To the OP,
You might want to keep in consideration what dealer you have close to help with repairs if you can't do them yourself. Although that comment has no bearing anyway since you can go to the chainsaw forum to get help with fixing anything on a saw. Also some might argue parts will be a problem with dolmar but I work on chainsaws in my spare time... It takes less time for me to order the parts and get them shipped than call and order at stihl and then wait for their shipment 3 days later. Also labor rates on getting stuff fixed is $55-$85/hr from what I hear so learning the maintence stuff yourself will save you money in the long run and will allow you to fix stuff in the field if something were to go wrong while cutting...

John r, look up. There is a tab that says "auctions". I just found it too.
yeah everybody was complaining about that move 3-4 weeks ago in the chainsaw forum when none of us could find the (then) classifieds...

Cheers
Nate

PS Have fun looking for a new saw OP... Any of the stihl, husky, or dolmar options given will suit you just fine!

Clean looking poulan 3500 in the trading post as well. Old school, 60 ccs. I mean it looks almost new.

Not bad, for about 150 you can get a good bar, a couple of chains and a couple of sprockets to go with it.

I totally missed the powerhead only part of that post. Still not bad if you add a 20 - 24" b/c. If OP keeps his ear to the ground he can find an old HD rental on the cheap. I have a total of $275 in my 6401 w/28" bar. That was a deal that couldn't be passed up!

Take what you got and get it ported for around 250 plus shipping.

dont know much about ported mod saws,does it really make a difference in ms361? does it decreace engine life? thank you:msp_biggrin:

dont know much about ported mod saws,does it really make a difference in ms361? does it decreace engine life? thank you:msp_biggrin:

It makes a huge difference in performance. I ran a ported 361 against a stock 660 and it was almost as fast. I also have a ported 365xt. It is even faster than the ported 361. The guy who did the work on the 365 says he sells mostly to professional loggers up north and that the saws are very reliable. Just the sound of one of these saws makes you want to get out and cut wood.

Last edited:
:clap:
It makes a huge difference in performance. I ran a ported 361 against a stock 660 and it was almost as fast. I also have a ported 365xt. It is even faster than the ported 361. The guy who did the work on the 365 says he sells mostly to professional loggers up north and that the saws are very reliable. Just the sound of one of these saws makes you want to get out and cut wood.

:clap: WOW NEVER KNEW IT THAT MUCH GAIN.....THANK YOU

How about the MS391? Brand new 20 " bar. 64 CC. Two year warranty with oil. $549.95
Sure it weighs in a pound heavier and a tad less BHP than the pro 362 but don't all saws weigh the same while cutting?

I really wanted the 362 but just don't have the extra $150. I am a simple firewooder and I don't always need the higher CC but sometimes I do and it's nice to have.

In fact if that dang 029 had never siezed I still wouldn't know the difference. This place........let me tell you!

How about the MS391? Brand new 20 " bar. 64 CC. Two year warranty with oil. $549.95
Sure it weighs in a pound heavier and a tad less BHP than the pro 362 but don't all saws weigh the same while cutting?

I really wanted the 362 but just don't have the extra $150. I am a simple firewooder and I don't always need the higher CC but sometimes I do and it's nice to have.

In fact if that dang 029 had never siezed I still wouldn't know the difference. This place........let me tell you!

Well the farmboss series is known for premature death (seizure) due to the limiter caps on them. I looked at the ms391/311 here just the other day and they still have those blasted things on them. I'd ride your warrenty out and make certail to use synthetic oil... Once the warrenty is up I'd pull the limiter caps and richen the saw mix so you don't have the same problem as the 029. They are reliable little saws but they are more reliable and more powerful with the limiters gone and the muffler modded!!!!:msp_biggrin:

yes it makes a big difference and no , done correctly by a pro, it apparently does not sigtnificantly at all decrease longevity. Its up to you to keep it tuned properly though.

many threads on this on the main chainsaw forum on porting versus stock.

365XT is under $600 here. 71cc of wood munching grunt...:D

My 365XT rocks. Serious power IMO and on budget. Pulls the 24" pretty easy and will try the 28 this weekend. Great value for the $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prowl E-Bay also. I've seen Stihl MS 441's on there in your price range. The C-MTronic models are getting older now right??? That should make them more affordable right?

Back