Any one cut fire wood with a "vintage" saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run quite a few saws from the 80's. Most I don't even look at as vintage because most aren't that much different from today's saws, minus pooter chips.

I've had a craving for some old Mac's for a while and I just might do something about that this summer.

I believe most of the 028 Supers would have been made from 1990 to 1998. Really good saws, I have three 028's on board and the oldest has no chain brake, just a nice big guard, and likely not a Super. It's called an 028 WB and runs flawlessly. I'd take it over an MS290 any day.
I think the 028 supers stopped around 1986 when the 026 took over.

I think the 028 supers stopped around 1986 when the 026 took over.
Here's the Stihl 028 history:
028av, 028wb= 1979-1980
028aveq= 1979-1983
028avs= 1983-1990

My neighbor bought one in 1992 on a dealer closeout after it sat on a shelf for a year or so. He still likes it better than the MS291 that's sold today. The 1980 028WB that I own runs flawlessly. Remember that 28 is an even number and 29 is not, but some guys still get along well with clams.

I still use a 038 magnum at the yard regularly , that is one tough old saw for sure a tad heavy when you are used to modern stuff though .

I still use a 038 magnum at the yard regularly , that is one tough old saw for sure a tad heavy when you are used to modern stuff though .
That "modern stuff" must be Husqvarna. Yes, the Huskies are lighter and I must admit they have better fuel economy. Having said that, I intend to cut with Stihls next week and might even bring my Macs or my Poulan 4000 out of mothballs. Variety is the spice of life.

All I use for wood cutting is in my signature. Don't have anything newer. Yes, the 028 is rebuilt, but the Jred, and 056 are all original and just keep chugging along. The 028 has the super cylinder now, and is my primary saw. But, I only cut wood seasonal for personal use of 5 full cords for me and a couple for my dad per season. YD

I'm thinking I'd really like an 028 super. I'd love a nice big saw but I don't have the need for one yet. I guess I also don't need another 50 cc saw. I was looking at 026 pro saws but I think the 028s might be a bit better.

I like the 056 especially the magnum but I like chain brakes too that's sort of my problem with older saws.

I agree with the chain brakes. All mine have chain brakes. The 028 did not come with one, and it was the older harder to find type of brake setup. I watched fleabay for about a year till I found the correct brake set up.

The 056 is 87cc but I have a good magnum cylinder to go on it if the need ever arises. It cuts just fine at 87cc with a 24 inch bar, but also have a 36 inch bar that came with the saw when I bought it. I would need to get a piston kit if I ever decide to put the magnum cylinder on it. I bought the 056 used about 8 years ago for 200 bucks. It needed a little work but nothing major. I got lucky with it having the SEM ignition system as I was not even aware of the 056 ignition problems prior to buying the saw. It only gets used for the really big stuff anyways.

The Jred 510sp was my very first "real" saw purchase. Bought it used for 50 bucks and it has served me well but the 028 is my go to saw. YD

I'm thinking I'd really like an 028 super. I'd love a nice big saw but I don't have the need for one yet. I guess I also don't need another 50 cc saw. I was looking at 026 pro saws but I think the 028s might be a bit better.

Not to steer you from an 028. One of the legendary firewood saws. Dependable, good power, not too heavy. That being said the 026 is lighter, quicker, and probably just as dependable. If you plain want one, you won't be disappointed. But just plain wanting one is the best reason to get one over an 026.

I'd like a saw that isnt a clamshell. Not that they don't work fine but something pro saw quality would be nice. From what I understand there never used to be a "pro" saw in the stihl line up they were all the same quality until they started home owner saws like my 290.

I have a pm70 with a 28" bar that is always in the saw box on the wood trailer. It doesn't get used alot but there are times it's just way more efficient than the 555 with a 20" bar

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
0fd5df4657600af9915d039aaaf28d12.jpg

The stihl has been replaced with a husky. All is right with the world. Lol

Back