Any one cut fire wood with a "vintage" saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished filling my truck with barkless elm rounds that I will split and burn this year. The big logs have been air drying in the sun since March. I used a Stihl 028 Wood Boss and a 1977 Mac 610 Timber Bear that I decided to preserve. The old Mac started on the fifth pull. The Wood Boss, about 15 years younger, took seven. Both ran flawlessly.

The 028 woods boss is a vintage saw? I just got one lol it satisfied my vintage saw needs for now. I also plan on cutting a good majority of fire wood with it. I still have a curiosity about a mac 610. I have no intention of buying one of these new hi tech saws. There seems to be plenty of great saws from the 70s to the 90s that still get the job done.

Been using a 300yr anniversary Husqy 288XP the last couple weeks. 1989?

Have run older stuff, just not for too long. Time is money and don't really want to lug around a heavy, low rpm, vibrating saw!

I have a P28 Pioneer that was my grandfathers...I try to run it once every month or two to keep the fuel fresh. It always fires right up, and with a razor sharp chain it is a pleasure to run. Sure its heavy and loud, but its comfortable to use for bucking. Runs an 18" bar I think. Its a novelty! I only bring it out to cut when I know I am not pressed for time or productivity.

Have a P51 that's had a "old school" wood's port and homebuilt dual port muffler. Runs a 34" (I think, might be 32") bar.

These two get used for plenty of firewood...
saw_zpstang71wi.jpg

The 028 Super is my main saw, I didn't think it was quite classed as vintage yet though.

The Dolmar 152 is definitely vintage but still runs like new (albeit after being fitted with a modern ignition chip) pulls .404 chipper (Oregon 59ac) on a 36" bar no problem.

The 028 woods boss is a vintage saw? I just got one lol it satisfied my vintage saw needs for now. I also plan on cutting a good majority of fire wood with it. I still have a curiosity about a mac 610. I have no intention of buying one of these new hi tech saws. There seems to be plenty of great saws from the 70s to the 90s that still get the job done.
I use a PM610 frequently for firewood. Replaced piston, cylinder, block & rod with a PM650 short block from a member here. Runs a 20" & 24" bar with 3/8-.050 semi chisel just fine. A little slow but never quits. Great old saw!!!

Attachments

• 2015120695145613.jpg
    2015120695145613.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 12
The old saws are fun...

But for an everyday cutter, I think the new lighter, better anti-vibration, better fuel economy, easier to operate, safer, etc, are the better choice. My "oldest" saw I use consistently is a 2004 MS460

I believe the last Wood Boss that had no chain brake (this one did not) was made in the late 1980's. They upgraded them to the AV Super series and kept making them well into 1990's. I was impressed at how nicely it ran after I installed a new fuel line. For a 35-year old engine, it still had good power. The Mac 610 is indeed a classic, but it's weight works against it for senior users. The 610's torque actually allows it to pull a 28" bar.
BigElm2.JPG

Been using a 300yr anniversary Husqy 288XP the last couple weeks. 1989?

Have run older stuff, just not for too long. Time is money and don't really want to lug around a heavy, low rpm, vibrating saw!

288 never gets old here. my go to when 70cc not enough, 100+ too much. also a 89/300.

IMG_1006.JPG

I was born in 89. I feel like the older stuff just works and if it doesn't it's not to hard to figure out the problem. I get that it's not as efficient if you cut wood for a living but for us homeowners some of the saws still get the job done. My wood pile doesn't care if it takes a week to cut or a month it's still happy when it's full. I keep it simple proven saws and good axes and wedges and I have heat.

XL12 about as bullet proof a saw out there.

Still work on a few a year. Shop was a Homelite dealership in the 80s and 90s. Was also a Husqy, Jonsereds, McCulloch, and Efco at some point or another too.
Have lots of parts saws and some NOS, wish I had time to sort it out and plug it into a database like Chainsawer.com has.

Ok so what's the deal with the 034 super I rarely see them are they pretty decent saws? No idea what size saw either.
It's a nice running saw , Pioneerguy600 gave it a tuneup [emoji41]
The only thing that I don't like is the on/off/choke switch, it sticks out a bit too far so it gets shut off by accident when working in the thick woods , the 036 cover has a molded plastic boss that protects it .
The saw is smoother than the 026 for vibrations but still a lightweight for it's size.
Get one if you find one if you're looking for a 60ish cc saw , ported makes them lots better .

Latest posts

Back