Any one ride the pick down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what your saying is at about this point use the rope bag
20.jpg

without getting into the how's and the why's, a rope bag is key. yes.

without getting into the how's and the why's, a rope bag is key. yes.

I dont care about the hows or whys but I think I know who is at the other end of that crane and its just what this place needs right now

On a crane job, I put a large shackle ABOVE the ball, put ring/ring FS in the shackle, zip tie it so it doesn't come out of the shackle bow, and tie in as per normal. Also the shackle pin is tied or wired so it can't possible rotate out.

Crane lifts me up to the top (or delimb on way up if needed), install sling, rapell down to cut point, tie in, detach from FS on ball, tension crane, cut, crane lifts piece away, comes back with sling, repeat.
Mind you, that's for a LIVE tree, with yours, bets are off that the tree may not collapse just as the piece is being lifted and you are tied to it...

If you can bomb it while just using the crane as your TIP, that would be cool, otherwise, another crane to take the pieces away.
I did a leaning palm tree, over a road, with two crane trucks, one for me, one for the pieces, sweet.
I would never ride the piece, never mix rigging and climbing, just too many things could go pear shaped!

I have this job coming up to remove these dead hazardous Euc's. Today we removed one that fell over. It had no roots at all. Its a safe bet none of the other ones do either. The bases are full of conks and their toasty dead. There is a big Koi pond behind them(biggest I've ever seen)and in front a block wall fence. The biggest one is maybe 75 feet with back lean and most the weight towards the koi pond.
No way I'd climb these. The Company I'm doing this for has a KB crane, and we talking about getting a bigger crane to come in. I don't want to be in those trees tied in. I want to just hang from the KB crane and piece them out. The other option is to cut a piece and ride down with it. I've never done this before and not sure how to go about it. Do you wait for the piece to be lifted than go with it after its off? Any one ever do this and could give me some pointers I'd appreciated it.
These trees are ready to fall over. If they weren't so dead I could maybe free fall them, but I'm sure any pulling on them could cause them to break off and fall any which way. I feel comfortable doing them while hanging from the crane and just chucking them down, Can't say for sure they wouldn't pull a part it lifted. Have to play that by ear. But I am interested in how to ride a piece down. I don't want to use two cranes in case the tree did fall over a boom might get hit(the KB is only 70 feet and would have to be pretty close.)
Thanks for any input.

View attachment 273167View attachment 273168View attachment 273169View attachment 273170 Some logs from the one that fell over two dayView attachment 273171

Just stay tied in the crane while you're slinging and pre-loading. If all is well at that point then you should be fine to tie-in below the cut. If it didn't collapse already its surely wont when you lift the top off. The fact that they're dead means that they'll weigh nothing....thats good!

Just stay tied in the crane while you're slinging and pre-loading. If all is well at that point then you should be fine to tie-in below the cut. If it didn't collapse already its surely wont when you lift the top off. The fact that they're dead means that they'll weigh nothing....thats good!

I dunno about that Reg. It kinda does depend on how its un-weighted sometimes. We all have seen tree that were standing but if you so much as touched them...:msp_scared:

On a crane job, I put a large shackle ABOVE the ball, put ring/ring FS in the shackle, zip tie it so it doesn't come out of the shackle bow, and tie in as per normal. Also the shackle pin is tied or wired so it can't possible rotate out.

Crane lifts me up to the top (or delimb on way up if needed), install sling, rapell down to cut point, tie in, detach from FS on ball, tension crane, cut, crane lifts piece away, comes back with sling, repeat.
Mind you, that's for a LIVE tree, with yours, bets are off that the tree may not collapse just as the piece is being lifted and you are tied to it...

If you can bomb it while just using the crane as your TIP, that would be cool, otherwise, another crane to take the pieces away.
I did a leaning palm tree, over a road, with two crane trucks, one for me, one for the pieces, sweet.
I would never ride the piece, never mix rigging and climbing, just too many things could go pear shaped!

wrong.

and half wrong.

what up reg! all well i hope.

Anyone I have ever seen or heard of riding a pick was either a youngin bound for glory or a twisted old moldy with a sickness and some really nasty scars.

Anyone I have ever seen or heard of riding a pick was either a youngin bound for glory or a twisted old moldy with a sickness and some really nasty scars.

dan, maybe i'd agree with you but you wear knee pads and carry three saws on a crane job... i understand the knee pads for when your mouth gets sour cause by then the knees gotta hurt but your game is single man jobs.

so while i maaay trust your opinion on the best way to plant an ornamental, you have ZERO idea of what quality production crane work is... none.

i ain't mad at ya.

I dunno about that Reg. It kinda does depend on how its un-weighted sometimes. We all have seen tree that were standing but if you so much as touched them...:msp_scared:
Well, I'm not sayin start yankin it sideways or anything Danno.....but the mere fact that you have crane involved, capable of doing a pull-test with or without a climber in the zone, is a huge luxury. Manual rigging, different ballgame. Plenty options here. Ride up there on the hook and shake the top about with your hands if you have to Beastmaster, get the feel of the tree, then you'll know. You'll be fine, need not be a big deal.

If you go to my profile you can see pics from a crane job I did (my climber was in a man basket -- I was and still am --- recovering from an injury or I would have done my first crane removal).

Why the basket? the tree was a honey locust with massive compound thorns, and the tree had 5 main trunks each of which had a crown of 20-45 large limbs. Moving around this tree would have been a ##### -- plus the base was completely hollow, two of the 5 sub-trunks had decay, and the weight of the tree was towards a fancy home. Rigging off the tree was also questionable, but it turned out to be OK for the small stuff; being in the basket meant quicker rigging and a back up plan of a sub-trunk failed.

One improvement would have been to have a second guy in the basket to steady it by holding on to the tree, as it tended to drift away while the climber was working.

I had a client make a video:

Historic Honey Locust - YouTube

Last edited:
dan, maybe i'd agree with you but you wear knee pads and carry three saws on a crane job... i understand the knee pads for when your mouth gets sour cause by then the knees gotta hurt but your game is single man jobs.

so while i maaay trust your opinion on the best way to plant an ornamental, you have ZERO idea of what quality production crane work is... none.

i ain't mad at ya.

Hey, wait a minute! I thought you were supposed to put that bag over yer head. And why is it fellows like you always be telling people about what they do or don't have ideas about? You just can't go around defining people you barely know, not only is it rude, crass, ignorant but also a sign of deep rooted insecurity.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute! I thought you were supposed to put that bag over yer head. And why is it fellows like you always be telling people about what they do or don't have ideas about? You just can't go around defining people you barely know, not only is it rude, crass, ignorant but also a sign of deep rooted insecurity.

no need to get so emotional, dan. just calling it as i see it and i'll tell ya something, danno... i'm pretty f'n good at judging talent. see, i know exactly how to attack beasties tree issue but the problem is none of you know how to do it safely so you just gonna bounce bad ideas of each other or add in extra cranes/costs and think job well done.

well, dan. you wrong. why you posting on a crane thread and i ask out of curiosity. how many years you got doing crane work? legit day to day work?

Back