Any one ride the pick down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know Euc's and just starting to do crane work, so I won't comment on how to do it.

Just make sure you quote it to work within your area's regulations. (Don't think riding the pick is allowed anywhere.... But I could be wrong). If that means two cranes, crane & basket, or whatever, include it in the cost. If you cut corners to save cost, chances are you're only compromising your safety. Sure, you may get away with it today, but push the envelope long enough and your bound to eventually get a paper cut. Do it right. We're professionals.

Cut corners and you're no different than the hack with a pick-up, chainsaw and no insurance.

Off my soap box now. Best of luck.

Am I the only one that is terrified of riding in a basket? I'm sorry, I just HATE the idea of depending on another human to move my body around, into, and out of dicey sits. I've done it before, and I never want to do it again. I'd rather rely on my climbline and the tree to put me where I choose to be. #### tha CO and the posturing bull#### of osha/ansi...That's me up there. Imma do the job as I see fit.

no need to get so emotional, dan. just calling it as i see it and i'll tell ya something, danno... i'm pretty f'n good at judging talent. see, i know exactly how to attack beasties tree issue but the problem is none of you know how to do it safely so you just gonna bounce bad ideas of each other or add in extra cranes/costs and think job well done.

well, dan. you wrong. why you posting on a crane thread and i ask out of curiosity. how many years you got doing crane work? legit day to day work?

I suggest maybe you try another bag, one is obviously not enough.

Last edited:
Curious: how is a basket safer than the harness and climb lines we trust our lives with every day? Baskets can't spin out of control? If no OSHA, then it should be what you're comfortable with. Besides that, if you're life-lined from the ball, you can lanyard into the tree, drifting basket problem solved.

I think Bermie had the key: YOU DON'T MIX RIGGING WITH LIFE SUPPORT. Sounds like two cranes, Beasty: one for you, one for the work. Stay safe.

I feel uncomfortable in a bucket. Have rented towables before and flew my first 60' (VersaTech) this year. Probably unomfortable cause im so used to climbing and have little tim in a lift. They are safer and faster than climbing when used right.

What do this guys know.......

Crane Tree Removal - YouTube

"Big Tree Top" and Tree lopping Ace Tree - YouTube

Big Extreme Hazard Crane Tree Cutting Removals ACE "Sail Song" Awolnation - YouTube

I think you missed my point. I'm not uncomfortable with a man basket from lack of use. I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the operator of the basket is on the ground and can't see what I see in the air. I didn't watch all of ACE's vids again but if memory serves me right all the controls on their man lifts are located in the bucket/basket which is much safer for obvious reasons.

The Craneman in the last video is a freaking a genius. He should have many children with the wife of his youth and pass his legacy to them.

I think you missed my point. I'm not uncomfortable with a man basket from lack of use. I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the operator of the basket is on the ground and can't see what I see in the air. I didn't watch all of ACE's vids again but if memory serves me right all the controls on their man lifts are located in the bucket/basket which is much safer for obvious reasons.

Got ya Blake's, and I did miss that. Yes, I believe ACE has controls in their buckets.

Hate to brake it to you squad but what ace is using is a bucket truck on roids.... not a stupid basket hanging from a crane... and you still wrong about two cranes.

I wasn't thinking of a basket hanging from a crane, but a fixed basked that is attached to the crane.

A lot of us come on this site to expand our knowledge and occasionally give it when we can.

All I see from you is, you telling everybody how wrong they are. Care to enlighten us, or are you "Justa Troll".

Nothing personal, just saying. :)

Here is an option Blake's.

Attach yourself above the ball of the crane and rig off the hook, you could lower the pieces down from the ball. I believe ANSI will allow it when there is no other way.

Found this article: http://www.tcia.org/pdfs/TCI_MAG_March_07.pdf
On page 54 has a picture and description. Sorry, I was unable to cut and paste it.
Good article.

Last edited:
I did that job Friday. It was pretty uneventful. The biggest one I cut off the big limbs on the one side hanging from the KB. I took small pieces and just bombed them down. The KB wasn't tall enough to reach the top of the tallest Euc so I was put up as high as i could be and climbed up 10 ft and put in a tipping line. I took that whole piece(10 ft) hanging from the crane. It shook and swayed and I thought it was going to fall over for sure. We unbolted the rod iron fence and I fell rest of it between the block wall supports. Shrapnel flew 40 ft. and a almost took out a sliding glass door on the house. the smaller ones I chunked out off the KB then fell them side ways into some other trees, Then using the KB to get them out. We were out of there in four hours that included lunch bought by the HO.
I don't care about Osha, I felt pretty safe tied into that crane. I'v done a lot of work off that crane over the last few years with that company and I really trust the operator.
The Company must of came out good, they paid me and the boss bought me a new air compressor as a present.

Here is an option Blake's.

Attach yourself above the ball of the crane and rig off the hook, you could lower the pieces down from the ball. I believe ANSI will allow it when there is no other way.

Found this article: http://www.tcia.org/pdfs/TCI_MAG_March_07.pdf
On page 54 has a picture and description. Sorry, I was unable to cut and paste it.
Good article.

Couldn't get the article to load for whatever reason. You'd still be running into the possible legal issues of using a crane for life support and rigging at the same time. I also don't like the shock loading the crane that could happen in that scenario. Especially if it's a crane I am tied into. I think you're over thinking the whole deal. It isn't that much of a deviation from normal craning procedures to stay tied in, set the rigging, and make the cut. I'm actually surprised more people haven't come across a scenario where this was the most logical safe route to take. Yes, second crane could be brought in, or a specialized lift, or a ####ing helicopter, but it's just unnecessary in most situations.

Couldn't get the article to load for whatever reason. You'd still be running into the possible legal issues of using a crane for life support and rigging at the same time. I also don't like the shock loading the crane that could happen in that scenario. Especially if it's a crane I am tied into. I think you're over thinking the whole deal. It isn't that much of a deviation from normal craning procedures to stay tied in, set the rigging, and make the cut. I'm actually surprised more people haven't come across a scenario where this was the most logical safe route to take. Yes, second crane could be brought in, or a specialized lift, or a ####ing helicopter, but it's just unnecessary in most situations.

what has a rating, all the collective equipment or the tree? whats the safest path? climber decides on the size of the piece being cut, applies the rigging at the proper location, and directs the tensioning of the pick, therefore has a lot to say about the shock loading of the crane. climber and op understanding each others limits. =safety.

ansi z133

researching ansi regs- z133.1-2006 section 5.7.9.11 addresses the discussion in this thread clearly. simple translation, riding with the pick is permissable if it is deemed to be the safest method to use because of a compromised tree and all hazards are evaluated. as they say with epa mileage stats your experience may differ!

Latest posts

Back