Any other pole burners out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this is a joke or you are simply a trolling ?hole.

If not, don't complain when your locality makes OWB's illegal.

I'm thinking he is serious. Clicked on "find more posts by user" and he's been lurking for a couple of months and apprears to have an OWB.

I'm going to assume that vikingjake's post is ligit. He made his first post on 11/11/08 so he's been here at least two months. Three of his four posts don't have anything about them that says troll.

Jake, I'm assuming that the posts are treated with creosote and who knows what else. Before you burn them check and see what they are treated with and what the effects of the burning smoke would be. Your family and neighbors health/life may depend upon it.

burn em if you got em

Burn those suckers and pollute the atmosphere! Free Fuel is Good Fuel. Your creosote burning is nothing compared to what the US military puts into the atmosphere every day!

Burn those suckers and pollute the atmosphere! Free Fuel is Good Fuel. Your creosote burning is nothing compared to what the US military puts into the atmosphere every day!

Now that's how you do a proper trolling post. Even working in the war angle. Nice!:)

whoa

Hold on I was serious. I don't have a whole lot of respect for those tree huggers. In this day and age do whatever you can to save money and be self reliant. Screw em! big middle finger right at em!

about 25 years ago a good friend of mine had burnt a bunch of "green treated lumber" in his shop wood stove through a winter. Not knowing how piousness the fumes where he ended up with serious liver problems, and a long hospital stay. :(

The Epa and other such panty waste gov't agencies can KMA.:clap:

I don't have any love or faith in those organizations either, but at the same time you don't :censored: in your own nest. Your own family, friends, and neighbors are breathing the smoke too. Even if I were a selfish :censored:hole I wouldn't put my family or myself at risk.

I just stacked two pick-up loads of old electric poles next to my OWB this afternoon. I've gone through around 75 four foot chunks of telephone poles so far this winter and now just got into a huge stack of old poles at the local electric coop less than a mile from my house. These have a lot more wire and nails to work around, but they are free and close. They burn fairly fast, but sure burn hot!

Anybody else using these for heat?

Now, can someone remind me exactly why states (like mine) are banning (for all intents and purposes) OWBs ?????:dizzy: :dizzy:

Ex-wives and PITA MILs burn well in the OWB. You just gotta stuff 'em in there before the rigor mortis sets in. All those hollywood chainsaw killing movies aren't all that accurate, it's a real b1tch to get all that flesh and bone fragments out of the saw after. If they have gone a while without exercising and the subcutaneous fat has really built up, they burn like candles...long and slow!:jawdrop:

Excellent tip! Got one ex and her mother that I would love to shove in the stove myself.Might stand a chance on getting my tools,boat,house,dog,atv, and everything else she took back where they belong.

I think the old poles were treated by soaking them in 50/50% kerosene and old motor oil. I'm sure they burn like the ####ens. Small pieces might make good fire starters, but I wouldn't burn them for heat, someone will catch on and have you shut down, with possible big fines. $$

I know a guy that tried to burn one last year in his OWB, he said it stunk up his whole property (and it's big) for a few days.

okay okay

I thought it was an OWB? Anyway... I can see why some people are up in arms.
If you all want to get technical breathing "clean" wood smoke is detrimental to your overall health.
If you want to cut the smell burn it with clean wood-doesn't smell much worse that a coal stoker.
I don't believe that creosote soaked and tar soaked light poles are going to give you liver disease like burning the mercury in green treated wood.JMO.

Excellent tip! Got one ex and her mother that I would love to shove in the stove myself.Might stand a chance on getting my tools,boat,house,dog,atv, and everything else she took back where they belong.

Attention! EPA mandates properly prepared fuels for reduced smoke and emissions. Make sure you split and season!!

Here's the deal-

The dealer I bought the OWB from said if I had a source for telephone poles they would be great fuel.

Contrary to popular belief, the telephone poles do not have creosote in them anymore and haven't for years - this comes from the guy who buys poles for the telephone company. I'm not sure on the electric poles.

I throw one or two chunks of the poles in at a time with other seasoned wood and have never noticed a change in the look or smell of the smoke coming from the OWB.

Gotta admit, I'm new at burning wood, but this seemed like a good site with a lot of good people and good info. I've been posting on various forums for years and never been attacked with negative rep points like this before.

I'll go back and work on my plan to destroy the earth now...:buttkick:

Maybe we were a little bit harsh......or just speaking for myself; I was. Most of us have been burning long enough that it seems it should be common sense not to burn wood with any sort of preservatives in it. If you are new at this and received advice from someone who you trusted (who should have known better) I suppose personally I would take a step back in my criticism. We all come here to learn and if you take a lesson from this discussion, great. :clap:
:angrysoapbox:

jake, the newer green colored poles are treated with CCA. thats short for Chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is a chemical wood preservative containing chromium, copper and arsenic. When you burn it it makes Hydrogen cyanide in the smoke. HC is a close cousin to the stuff they used at San Quentin at the end of the green mile. The newer brown colored poles are treated with pentachlorophenol, which is a pesticide, insecticide thats almost as bad as CCA. All kidding & bashing aside, don't burn this stuff. You get some cheap heat, but all that chemical crap goes in everyone else's air, water, soil [where you dump ash] whatever. The guy that said they don't have creosote ANYMORE is right, but what they replaced it with is just as bad.

Latest posts

Back