Any other pole burners out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Jake, I just gave you a positive rep, just because maybe you didn't know any better and hopefully others who are new to woodburning will see this post and its ridicule of burning treated timbers and learn something by it. Keep in mind, any timber processed for exterior, below grade use has to be treated with something. It just may take another ten years for them to figure out what organ will be affected with these new treatment chemicals. Now if the poles are made of 30' of staight osage, your good to go :D.

My be we can get a sticky to the top of this forum as to potential hazzards and reprocussions of burning treated lumber and maybe a list of what woods may fall into this catagory, for those who may not know or for the newbee's who come surfing in.

So I ask the question: Which is worse, burning it or letting it rot on the ground? Letting it rot on the ground makes it someone else's problem. I burn my trash in a barrel- my neighbor has it hauled away and its covered with dirt. Again someone else's problem.

I come to this forum to learn and I was surprised at how fast he was poked at. I guess maybe I need to find a forum where the posters aren't perfect.

I admit I do not and I also agree that he should not have been treated so harshly. It was certainly regrettable on my part.

So I ask the question: Which is worse, burning it or letting it rot on the ground? Letting it rot on the ground makes it someone else's problem. I burn my trash in a barrel- my neighbor has it hauled away and its covered with dirt. Again someone else's problem.

Burning it is worse. Airborn is bad mkay... Think the dangers of poison ivy burned vs just sitting.

I come to this forum to learn and I was surprised at how fast he was poked at. I guess maybe I need to find a forum where the posters aren't perfect.

Wait for it...

Waaaaait for it.........

I'll bet ya decisively learned how many people think burning treated poles is a bad idea! Hooray!! Learning accomplished :clap: :clap:

:laugh:

Gotta admit, I'm new at burning wood, and this is a good site with a lot of good people and good info. I've been posting on various forums for years and never been attacked with negative rep points like this before, but I guess what I can take away from this experience is that this seems to be a fairly serious issue for the wood burning community. As for the tough love, THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!

Fixed it for ya :D:D:D

Srsly, all in fun the intarwebz is.

Man you guy slammed him .Dam he was asking a question after reading this
crap you guys flung at him i thought maybe he did your wife or something.
it wasn't like he had a gun to your head .WOW i guess everyone here is
a perfect person .Im sure he learned he cant burn it .

Burning it is worse. Airborn is bad mkay... Think the dangers of poison ivy burned vs just sitting.

Wait for it...

Waaaaait for it.........

I'll bet ya decisively learned how many people think burning treated poles is a bad idea! Hooray!! Learning accomplished :clap: :clap:

:laugh:

i also learned something about you. Thanks

Boy, you should visit some of the boards that I do.Compared to those, this was kid glove treatment.

Well any person sitting behind a computer who thinks they are tough because
they slam anybody they can .Should go to the bathroom lower the mirror
and take a long look at themselves .I just hate seeing a feeding frenzy when
he meant no harm and was simply trying to be nice and start a topic.

Enough said Plus a got a bad rep from the pole burner WOW i think i will keep my mouth shut

Last edited:
pole burning

Around here a lot of old poles are untreated cedar, Probably would make nice firewood if you could get them away from the farmers making fence posts out of them. As for burning treated wood creosote is the only safe to burn and it smokes to high heaven if you don't get it enough air. Better to scrounge a little and avoid the treated altogether. Some of the creosote treated are pretty leached out by the time the utility co take them down since they weren't filled like old RR ties in the first place. Sounds like a place for intelligent desicisions to be made.

pole burning

Around here a lot of old poles are untreated cedar, Probably would make nice firewood if you could get them away from the farmers making fence posts out of them. As for burning treated wood creosote is the only safe thing to burn and it smokes to high heaven if you don't get it enough air. Better to scrounge a little and avoid the treated altogether. Some of the creosote treated are pretty leached out by the time the utility co take them down since they weren't filled like old RR ties in the first place. Sounds like a time and place for intelligent descisions to be made.

Boy, you should visit some of the boards that I do.Compared to those, this was kid glove treatment.

Shhhhhh, you'll hurt someone's feelers

:angel: :D

i also learned something about you. Thanks

What, that I like to call people on the eDrama they attempt to create? I certainly hope so!! :laugh:

I just always giggle at the "I'm taking my toys and going home" philosophy.
I guess maybe I need to find a forum where the posters aren't perfect.
C'mon dude. Pity party? :rolleyes:

Sincerely,
Bored in Michigan

Wow this got brutal! Simple mistake the poor dude made. Jeesh...I can't wait to see the thread...."anyone burnin tires?" Heat is heat! :laugh:

Seriously.... I would'nt burn poles unless you definitely know their not treated in any form.

Now that the OP knows that burning any type of chemically treated/preserved wood is a very bad idea he should delete this thread.

Anybody who thinks that there aren't eco-trolls looking for anti-OWB ammo are ...:censored: in the head. These types of post make the wood burning community look like a bunch of uninformed goof-balls , someone that has the ability to provide for his/her family and spend big $$$ on a OWB should know what its supposed to burn before it's installed.

And for the people who think this thread was rough on the OP ... you aint seen nothing. A couple years back AS had some sharp tongued members that would have ground him to pieces!

Jeff

Last edited:
Shhhhhh, you'll hurt someone's feelers

:angel: :D

What, that I like to call people on the eDrama they attempt to create? I certainly hope so!! :laugh:

I just always giggle at the "I'm taking my toys and going home" philosophy.
C'mon dude. Pity party? :rolleyes:

Sincerely,
Bored in Michigan

I think I agree with every word.Must be bored in Kansas.

Heck no I am saving power poles for my hopeful shop. I worked
for the power company 20 years+ and I started taking home the transformer oil they were doing away with it burns great with drip line rigged up to the tank and a valve to slow or stop when it warms up. You got to be careful though it will burn yer stove up if your not careful:cheers: I don't understand what is so bad about this transformer oil they said something about having to replace it with non-pcb oil?

I can't wait to see the thread...."anyone burnin tires?"

Unfortunately, the bastids are doing that very thing around here...

As well as culled piglets and other farm waste...

Burn 'em while ya' got 'em, boys and girls....

I am amazed at what will fit in a pallet burner....

Now, here's an appliance created to fill a need....seems like a great idea, huh?

Well, I've seen literally STACKS of tires on the lift forks...as well as dead livestock and even crates of manure...

This area is 15 miles north of me....there have been whistle blowers, but these folks have either moved or have not been vocal since...

The perps are major players in this area...Huge dairy operations and recycling firms...pork finishers and the like.

It continues.

Latest posts

Back