Any Stihl dealers that will ship a new 441CM ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, from what I understand the cost of Stihl products even more outrageous down-under than it is top-side!!

Brace yourself...

STIHL Products | STIHL | Stihl, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners

I know a few people have commented before on this pricing difference between the US and Australia stating that it is a difference in wages. That is not the case at all and most statistics I've looked at show very similar average incomes per individual and per household. The exchange rate is the same too at 1:1.
There are a number of areas that just don't make sense. For instance Holden (GM) in Australia were making cars for the US and the US sell price for basically the same specced model was $20,000 cheaper in the US than here. Really hard to work that one out.

Brace yourself...

STIHL Products | STIHL | Stihl, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners

I know a few people have commented before on this pricing difference between the US and Australia stating that it is a difference in wages. That is not the case at all and most statistics I've looked at show very similar average incomes per individual and per household. The exchange rate is the same too at 1:1.
There are a number of areas that just don't make sense. For instance Holden (GM) in Australia were making cars for the US and the US sell price for basically the same specced model was $20,000 cheaper in the US than here. Really hard to work that one out.

Tax and trade... a lot of this cost may be related to what Australia charges Stihl to import. There are likely many more breaks for Stihl in the US to lower their tax-burden on imports, especially when they have factories in the US (tax credits on imports for moving jobs here). I work in logistics and it is not uncommon to see 25% import taxes on the company's stated value. This cost will be passed directly to the consumer. I can't say this has any bearing, but it could easily be a reason. Logistics cost to Australia is also a leading factor, even slow-boat the distance from Europe to Australia is more expensive. Just ask our Alaskan friends on here what a gallon of milk runs, there is a huge difference there between Nome and Anchorage because of transport difficulties. Even if a product has a final assembly in Australie (like an auto), the raw materials (from the raw steel tot he parts like seats and engines) are likely imported to some degree, again driving up costs.

One of the most difficult parts to move internationally are bearings... not sure all the details but a lot of our bearings end up stuck in customes, and carrier higher percent import costs based on the value.

dw

Tax and trade... a lot of this cost may be related to what Australia charges Stihl to import. There are likely many more breaks for Stihl in the US to lower their tax-burden on imports, especially when they have factories in the US (tax credits on imports for moving jobs here). I work in logistics and it is not uncommon to see 25% import taxes on the company's stated value. This cost will be passed directly to the consumer. I can't say this has any bearing, but it could easily be a reason. Logistics cost to Australia is also a leading factor, even slow-boat the distance from Europe to Australia is more expensive. Just ask our Alaskan friends on here what a gallon of milk runs, there is a huge difference there between Nome and Anchorage because of transport difficulties. Even if a product has a final assembly in Australie (like an auto), the raw materials (from the raw steel tot he parts like seats and engines) are likely imported to some degree, again driving up costs.

One of the most difficult parts to move internationally are bearings... not sure all the details but a lot of our bearings end up stuck in customes, and carrier higher percent import costs based on the value.

dw

I agree that there may be more to it than what I think however I also have a lot to do with import/export with my day job (agriculture) - Australian taxes are through the roof which has a lot to do with it but when I can import a saw from the US at nearly half of what it costs an Australian dealer something is wrong.
One thing the US does do well though is subsidise their own industries as you mentioned and protect their own industries. It's an absolute free for all in Australia at the moment.

Brace yourself...

WOW..and thanks for the forewarning..!!

Those prices are about double of those in the U.S.!!!!

I would guess average pay per hour in the U.S. to be about $10-$12 considering all sectors - just my quesstimate..!!

If you guys make approximately the same per hour...well I can only guess that the box stores sell a hell of a lot of cheap saws..!!
:cheers:
J2F

No Stihl dealer will touch that, but the warranties are given to the saw, not the owner of the saw, and any dealer can order what you want, some will go further for the customer than others. Like said before just have someone buy one at their local dealer and ship it to you. Pretty often someone comes in and wants me to sell them a saw in a box, but i cant under any circumstances, and nether can any other dealers...

Tommy Hall (THALL) on here is at a shop in VA, if anyone could help you out it should be him, some of the old members should be able to provide you with his dealership location, he is around the DC area.

Stuff like this is what makes me not like stihl. They limit the dealers with the way the distributors decide what saws to carry and sell like they did with the 440 when it came back. If stihl would let dealers ship maybe the price would be more in line with what the other big brands are. Stihl might make a good product but I don't like the take it or leave it business practices they have. I mean $52 for a stihl HD 2 air filter and $43 for a 24" loop at a local dealer to me. :angry:

Stuff like this is what makes me not like stihl. They limit the dealers with the way the distributors decide what saws to carry and sell like they did with the 440 when it came back. If stihl would let dealers ship maybe the price would be more in line with what the other big brands are. Stihl might make a good product but I don't like the take it or leave it business practices they have. I mean $52 for a stihl HD 2 air filter and $43 for a 24" loop at a local dealer to me. :angry:

This is exactly what they don't want and as a dealer I'm with them. This system protects their dealer base and their reputation as a premium brand. Stray from that and you'll have lots of dealers that no longer care. Service goes down, brand name goes down, money goes down.

Everybody has a choice.

This is exactly what they don't want and as a dealer I'm with them. This system protects their dealer base and their reputation as a premium brand. Stray from that and you'll have lots of dealers that no longer care. Service goes down, brand name goes down, money goes down.

Everybody has a choice.

I see your point as well and respect that.:cheers: I know it would take away business from some dealers and others would probably keep trucking along. I work out of town and having time to go to a dealer vs buying on line is a major plus for me.

I just don't see why a 70cc stihl costs $250 more than a comparable husky when you buy just not compare msrp. :help:

Back