Any thoughts or opinions on this chinese saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platoon Daddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
this guy owns/operates a saw repair shop just south of Springfield, MO. he usually has decently priced used equipment. he seems to think highly of this particular saw...just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with them? i'm new to this posting stuff...hope the link is clickable....please bear with me

20" 58cc chainsaw NEW strong runner!

I expect these, or something similar, will start displacing what the big box stores are currently selling. More saw, less wholesale cost = more profit. For the people that use a saw a few times a year they're a bargain. At this point I wouldn't want to replace my very reliable 025 with one. I am willing to test one for the guy selling them, no charge.

I'll just leave this here.

[video=youtube;v6GAssS-v2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6GAssS-v2k[/video]

Probably a lot more stress than the average saw operator would put on them, but point well made about the quality.

I believe that seller may be an AS member...
Got a hunch...
They may well run decent. Depends how closely they copied the Jred design.
Materials WILL be of lesser quality, and performance WILL be hit and miss... QC is pretty loose on this stuff...

For the people that use a saw a few times a year they're a bargain.

I'm not so sure about this. People that buy "box-store" brand saws aren't always the most mechanically gifted people. Basically the same people who leave gas in a lawn mower over the winter year after year and all of a sudden have carb problems. They will buy inferior 2 cycle oil and maybe chain lube if they remember. Of coarse, this is will be owner error, not the fault of the saw, but the saw will take the blame for ignorance.

I cant see anyone who depends on wood for heat to trust any saw that doesnt have a proven track record. We are fortunate there are still companies that we can trust to make a quality chainsaw. These days, thats getting harder to find. My 044 just turned 20 years old this winter. It was expensive for me when I bought it. Its still the saw I use today and its provided all of the firewood I have been heating my home with since 1987. And it still runs awesome. Now thats quality I can trust.

The link to the saw does have some good points. You can by 4 for the price of 1, get a new one for the price of a repair bill. But you get what you pay for, and I bet parts would be hard to find. I havent had any luck with Chineese stuff. I don't think so.:msp_thumbdn:

When I buy HF tools I read plenty of reviews and NEVER buy one that could kill me... Like hydraulic stuff, car jacks, etc.

I'd say a Chinese chainsaw falls in that category.

My 2 cents. Plenty of deals to be had on CL or here for that matter on much higher quality used saws.

Probably a lot more stress than the average saw operator would put on them, but point well made about the quality.

I agree it's no doubt a lot more stress than the average saw operator would ever see. And to be perfectly honest about it, I'm sure a lot of homeowner saws from reputable brands wouldn't pass those kinds of tests either. But I remembered seeing that vid first posted by somebody here, and thought I would repost it.

For the price of that saw in the link, I might be tempted to buy one, especially if I knew the dealer would stand behind it. But unlike having some cheap tools break that just make you cuss and go get another, if your saw breaks there's a risk of serious injury that would make me steer clear of it. In my book, some cheap tools are no biggie if they break (such as a screwdriver or wrench) while other cheap tools could be a lifechanger (such as jack stands or ladder). edit: cnice_37 beat me to it.

I don't know about the saw but have dealt with the gentleman selling them. He is a stand up kind of guy. I have bought from him in the past and he has always described items accurately, disclosing all issues.
I personally wouldn't buy one of these saws but would not hesitate to do business with him.

Last edited:
I don't know about the saw but have dealt with the gentleman selling them. He is a stand up kind of guy. I have bought from him in the past and he has always described items accurately, disclosing all issues.
I personally wouldn't buy one of these saws but would not hesitate to do business with him.

That's a good report right there...
I've enjoyed his CL listings for a while now...
He just hasn't offered up a good Sachs Dolmar yet...:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not so sure about this. People that buy "box-store" brand saws aren't always the most mechanically gifted people. Basically the same people who leave gas in a lawn mower over the winter year after year and all of a sudden have carb problems. They will buy inferior 2 cycle oil and maybe chain lube if they remember. Of coarse, this is will be owner error, not the fault of the saw, but the saw will take the blame for ignorance.

Which was kinda my point. For the cost it would be a throw-away, which is what happens with a lot of higher priced saws purchased by the people you mentioned.

I cant see anyone who depends on wood for heat to trust any saw that doesnt have a proven track record. We are fortunate there are still companies that we can trust to make a quality chainsaw. These days, thats getting harder to find. My 044 just turned 20 years old this winter. It was expensive for me when I bought it. Its still the saw I use today and its provided all of the firewood I have been heating my home with since 1987. And it still runs awesome. Now thats quality I can trust.

+1 on your 044. I've had the same experience with my 025. "Homeowner" saw? Yep. Darn reliable though.

I agree it's no doubt a lot more stress than the average saw operator would ever see. And to be perfectly honest about it, I'm sure a lot of homeowner saws from reputable brands wouldn't pass those kinds of tests either. But I remembered seeing that vid first posted by somebody here, and thought I would repost it.

For the price of that saw in the link, I might be tempted to buy one, especially if I knew the dealer would stand behind it. But unlike having some cheap tools break that just make you cuss and go get another, if your saw breaks there's a risk of serious injury that would make me steer clear of it. In my book, some cheap tools are no biggie if they break (such as a screwdriver or wrench) while other cheap tools could be a lifechanger (such as jack stands or ladder). edit: cnice_37 beat me to it.

Yea, there was a lot of things that the test didn't show. What happens if it slings the (probably bottom dollar) chain, or you get it hung in a pinch? I generally expect that quality control will be non-existant and there are any number of failures that could happen and cause serious injury. Don't expect that the manufacturer would be concerned about liability issues.

Well guys, my real world tests have shown that as long as they are not made from steel or plastic and dont need fuel or electricity to operate them that the Chinese make a world class tool?

Just don't buy china stuff. Cheap crap has been the demise of the country.

My dad was a smart guy and he always told me "you get what you pay for". Seems like every time I forget that and I try to get away as cheap as possible, I end up with a pile of junk.

It seams that no matter what brand you buy anymore it has parts from china or taiwan. Or if you need replacement part same thing. I try not to buy or support the knock off stuff.

My 044 just turned 20 years old this winter. It was expensive for me when I bought it. Its still the saw I use today and its provided all of the firewood I have been heating my home with since 1987. And it still runs awesome. Now thats quality I can trust.

Wow! That's one heck of an 044, it was cuttin' your wood for 6 years before you bought it. :laugh:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Andy

Wow! That's one heck of an 044, it was cuttin' your wood for 6 years before you bought it. :laugh:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Andy

I caught the mistake myself after I posted and didnt feel like editing, I was going to see if anybody around here paid attention in math class. I've been burning wood since '87, and bought my stihl in '93.

I caught the mistake myself after I posted and didnt feel like editing, I was going to see if anybody around here paid attention in math class. I've been burning wood since '87, and bought my stihl in '93.

It's not that I paid attention in math class, I just remember what I was doing in 87 and it sure seemed more than 20 years ago...
So I pulled off my socks to count. :laugh:

Andy

Latest posts

Back