Any thoughts or opinions on this chinese saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill Gates has given away something like 28 billion dollars so far and plans to leave his entire 60 billion dollar fortune to charity. Really not such a bad guy.

No, he's all right, and I congratulate him on the donations he's made to charity, now and in the future. He's one of the few.

i doubt if they are cutting firewood to help offset heating costs either:msp_unsure:

No, I don't think they're inclined to get their hands dirty, or would have a clue how to run a chainsaw. I don't expect any of them are inclined to heat with wood. They may have a wazoo fireplace, just for the ambience.

Just don't buy china stuff. Cheap crap has been the demise of the country.

Amen to that

Sometimes you can't avoid made in China stuff, I understand. But to seek it out on purpose is just silly.

Used to be a man would be proud of his tools, and the job he did with them. Now its simply buy whatevers cheapest and make do........regardless of the quality.

The few of us who still want quality, it is now a challenge to find it.

That's a good report right there...
I've enjoyed his CL listings for a while now...
He just hasn't offered up a good Sachs Dolmar yet...:hmm3grin2orange:

I know the guy who is selling this in Nixa. He is not the AS member you're thinking of... However, the AS guy you are thinking of does have one though!

Made in China = Not made in America!
I know that there's not many saws made here, but if we don't try to support ourselves who will?
Andy

I don't know anything about economics, and even less about international trade - but it seems that anytime our gov't tries to push "Buy Canadian" policies they get taken to court by American companys demanding access to the market here :confused:

I think there is a moral about what's good for the goose is good for the gander here, but it is really beyond my understanding how to sort it all out.

I know the guy who is selling this in Nixa. He is not the AS member you're thinking of... However, the AS guy you are thinking of does have one though!

That don't surprise me... He dabbles in everything...
True chainsaw nut... :msp_rolleyes:

Amen to that

Sometimes you can't avoid made in China stuff, I understand. But to seek it out on purpose is just silly.

Used to be a man would be proud of his tools, and the job he did with them. Now its simply buy whatevers cheapest and make do........regardless of the quality.

The few of us who still want quality, it is now a challenge to find it.

Absolutely. But the reality is that nearly everything sold here has some connection to some foreign country, China or otherwise. And you can certainly get quality products made in China. But you can't equate "quality" with "cheap", regardless of the country of origin.

I don't know for sure about the other 2, but Bill Gates started out with nothing.

Yeah, no.

Gates came from at least an upper middle class background -- his father was prominent lawyer, his mother was serving on state university board by the time he was going to Harvard. It's his mom who introduced him to Warren Buffet.

Zuckerberg probably came from the most modest, but still decidely upper middle class background. His parents after all sent him to exclusive boarding schools & Harvard.

Trump's family was rich, no question about it. Most of his money today after his businesses were all sucking pond water and he was hocked up to his ears in the 90s came from the $400M he inherited from daddy in '99.

Just don't buy china stuff. Cheap crap has been the demise of the country.

Greedy American businesses have been the demise of your country, thanks to the greedy consumer unwilling to pay the exaggerated prices demanded by these businesses.

China has the capacity and does make some amazing quality products. The crap you get to buy is what the American business want them to make so they, the American business, can make more profit from you.

China is an industrial complex, they make goods mainly for export, at the requirements and specifications of the customer.

Its the same up here in Canada.

Dont blame China, they are just making what we want them to, and we want them made as cheap as possible.

The Chinese stuff is pick and choose I think. I bought one of those Blue colored Chinese Northern Tool saws once.I didn't like it. The fit and finish was bad it was hard to get going good and took a lot of tweaking to get going. I sold it to an older guy and he loves it so go figure.

I worked for a guy several years ago. We had a Honda motor Ku Ku the bed on a Wacker Tamper, early on in a big job. He didn't have much time to spare or money to spend so he got a $149 blue knockoff motor at Harbor Freight. Last I checked he was still running that motor, and this guys not known for taking care of stuff.

Greedy American businesses have been the demise of your country, thanks to the greedy consumer unwilling to pay the exaggerated prices demanded by these businesses.

Edit: just a touch condescending eh? When exactly does profit motive become greed? And does price not influence your purchases? Slippery slope indeed. Cheap imports and cheap foreign labor have more to do with it than greed. Profit motive is "sold" as greed by the merchants of class envy. Smoke and mirrors to distract you from their profit motive (greed).

China has the capacity and does make some amazing quality products. The crap you get to buy is what the American business want them to make so they, the American business, can make more profit from you.

Edit: I'd like to see some examples of their "amazing quality". Most is near useless, some being mediocre. Nothing exceptional comes to mind.

China is an industrial complex, they make goods mainly for export, at the requirements and specifications of the customer.

Its the same up here in Canada.

Dont blame China, they are just making what we want them to, and we want them made as cheap as possible.

Sure there are lots of example of true greed. Most involve outright theft and deceit. Once the genie was out of the offshore bottle, businesses either had to adapt, or get with the program. Even American ingenuity struggles to keep up with third world wages. Greed as a cause for our situation is simply a straw man argument.

Edit: sorry I butchered the quote so badly. Still learning how to do that right.

Last edited:
Eh... We tend to strangle ourselves with regulations...
If you were a manufacturing company, why would you want to do business in the US???

Taiwan PRC, easiest example of amazing quality product.

Kohler, Briggs, made in China, must be crap, gotta be. Its better quality than when certain series were made in the US.

Parent company quality control has alot to do with the finished product.

Honda builds crap I guess, many of there engines are made in China.

Avionics chips used in aircraft and even some for military aircraft of both our nations are made in China.

Most goods today are made from globally sourced parts, assembled or boxed in a certain country so they get there "Made in" sticker.

I have never gotten an engine boxed in China missing a component, but every year get lawn tractors missing seats, steering wheels, wheels, you name it, assembled by an overpaid crack head working in South Carolina.
Guess he couldn't read the Chinese assembly instructions.

Every product you listed was moved there for production cost reasons, not to improve quality. And yeah, many of the Kohler and Honda (among other Chinese engines) are crap compared to the USA or Japanese produced engines of the past. With refinement, some are now decent, but still inferior. I realize that over time their products have improved, and will continue to do so. Much like the Japanese post WW2.

Taiwan PRC, easiest example of amazing quality product.

Kohler, Briggs, made in China, must be crap, gotta be. Its better quality than when certain series were made in the US.

Parent company quality control has alot to do with the finished product.

Honda builds crap I guess, many of there engines are made in China.

Avionics chips used in aircraft and even some for military aircraft of both our nations are made in China.

Most goods today are made from globally sourced parts, assembled or boxed in a certain country so they get there "Made in" sticker.

I have never gotten an engine boxed in China missing a component, but every year get lawn tractors missing seats, steering wheels, wheels, you name it, assembled by an overpaid crack head working in South Carolina.
Guess he couldn't read the Chinese assembly instructions.

Your experience sounds a lot better than mine. I work for a Tier 1 supplier to GM, Ford, Chrysler and several other auto manufacturers. Getting parts with consistently ACCEPTABLE quality from Chinese suppliers is a constant, never ending challenge. One batch of parts may pass inspection and the next batch will miss the mark on numerous significant characteristics. Holding common manufacturing tolerances that are clearly called out on a blueprint and that their engineers signed up to is, more often than not, a crapshoot. Then you pay them a visit and have your Quality Assurance Team work with them for weeks to get them on track. Two days after the Team leaves for home, they're back to doing it the cheap and easy way and the product is, once again, unacceptable junk. That pretty much sums up my experience.

Your experience sounds a lot better than mine. I work for a Tier 1 supplier to GM, Ford, Chrysler and several other auto manufacturers. Getting parts with consistently ACCEPTABLE quality from Chinese suppliers is a constant, never ending challenge. One batch of parts may pass inspection and the next batch will miss the mark on numerous significant characteristics. Holding common manufacturing tolerances that are clearly called out on a blueprint and that their engineers signed up to is, more often than not, a crapshoot. Then you pay them a visit and have your Quality Assurance Team work with them for weeks to get them on track. Two days after the Team leaves for home, they're back to doing it the cheap and easy way and the product is, once again, unacceptable junk. That pretty much sums up my experience.

When ones QC team in on site and in place 24/7, the quality of the end product is the result. You also get to live in a neat place and learn about other cultures.

When ones QC team in on site and in place 24/7, the quality of the end product is the result. You also get to live in a neat place and learn about other cultures.

Their "Quality Team" is absolutely on-site 24/7/365. Shouldn't be any need for our guys from the States to be there 100% of the time since the Chinese supplier demonstrated capability before any contract was signed and all parties involved agreed to the exact terms stated in the contract. When you sign up for self-certification, a pretty common thing in the auto industry, you shouldn't require constant policing by the customer to ensure you provide the agreed upon deliverables. When you don't live up to your end of the agreement, it's usually the kiss of death. Kinda why we're currently working on bringing one prarticular component back to this side of the pond. The 40% fallout rate on the Chinese components is unacceptable and their inability to implement permanent corrective actions to eliminate the problems was all too painfully evident. The good news is we'll be hiring to staff up for the U.S. production launch.

Back