Any thoughts or opinions on this chinese saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the position of the fuel caps and A/V mount it appears to be another RedMax clone similar to the G5000, regardless of the shape of the covers. They appear to be very good at dressing the same mechanicals up as a variety of different brands. Which just points out how minor the differences between all the big name saws really are - they're all copying each other. The basic RedMax designs are actually very good.

You won't get things like strato engines or much in the way of parts availability like you would with a US made Poulan.

You won't get things like strato engines or much in the way of parts availability like you would with a US made Poulan.

It's hard to beat for the price the seller is asking. I don't know how long he can afford to sell them at cost. A 50cc Poulan runs around $200, Remington 55cc about $250.

For me it's about problems. My "generic Chinese" experiences haven't been so good - I seem to end up repairing, replacing and fixing too much. I pay for the good stuff now and life seems easier.

My bit*h is that another Western company has had their R&D ripped off by another Chinese company. Don't support these a-holes! I just saw a tv show about how much stuff in China is ripped off - they copied an entire BMW sport utility... and sell it! Where's the Chinese govt at on this?... They don't give a s**t. I just don't get how most of the world works hard on developing these products and the Chinese rip it off and copy it. Our governments are salivating over the idea of a market with 1.3 billion people but the Chinese aren't going to let us do business there without transferring technology and showing them how to make the stuff. In the end we'll get a fraction on the market while the chinese make the stuff themselves thanks to our help.

this guy owns/operates a saw repair shop just south of Springfield, MO. he usually has decently priced used equipment. he seems to think highly of this particular saw...just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with them? i'm new to this posting stuff...hope the link is clickable....please bear with me

20" 58cc chainsaw NEW strong runner!

To me, foreign is foreign and you would be hard pressed to live exclusivley on all made in USA. You certainly couldnt be using a cellphone or be on the internet for instance.

Ideally it would be nice, I most certainly remember when the bulk of everything you saw for sale was built domestically, and..man..that was a long time ago now.

I have husky, stihl, echo, poulan, homelite, mcculloch, and a pioneer/partner labeled made in sweden. Oh, and the oregon, battery electric, made in china, good quality near as I can see and from using it a lot, I have zero complaints with it, works as advertised.

So I am running a bit more than half on foreign made for saws. To me, it has turned into meh, that genii got let outta the bottle decades ago, no putting it back in.

I know I, and a lot of other guys, tried to warn people, tried way back, hardly anyone listened, only those blue collar guys who lost factory jobs, like I did more than once, understood, EVERYONE else, all the white collars, the ag workers, government workers, the independents tradespeople, retail people, etc etc told us to shutup and just get another job. Just got told to shut the F up and go do something else.... It was our fault, we couldnt compete....yep, hard to compete with two buck a day workers when your rent stays the same, groceries stay the same etc, but thats what we got told. Compete. Capitalism. No other option, globalism, or nothing.

30 million lost jobs later....

We told ya all so, it happened. Water over the dam now, so no sense going on and on about it. Global economy. Capitalism, compete, or go under, no middle ground anymore, and we will never see a protectionist type government, so..take yer chances if you trust the guy and want to try one out, certainly cheap enough. He qualifies as a local dealer, correct, and people always say support your local dealer.

Get one, run it, give the guy good feedback, it is what he is looking for. From what others have said, you just dont know with the chinese stuff, some is perfectly fine, some wont last one day. Capitalism, caveat emptor. If he has any sort of warranty, take it back just as you would any other saw if it messes up under warranty. If it works good, you got a deal.

this guy owns/operates a saw repair shop just south of Springfield, MO. he usually has decently priced used equipment. he seems to think highly of this particular saw...just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with them? i'm new to this posting stuff...hope the link is clickable....please bear with me

20" 58cc chainsaw NEW strong runner!

You like CHI -Com crap? Move to Bejing

Why is America allowing this? They ARE IN DEBT, to the CHI- COMs

I stopped, I am an American, soorrryy Walmart Oh yes. Wamart and ALL their sponsors and rats they sell.

Se ya Gun Grabber Mart!!!!

Last edited:
Made in china means stay away from it..... Also don't get fooled by "made in PRC". people's republic of china.

The #### made there is just crap IMO;)

You can walk into Walmart and buy a made in USA saw anytime. They get badmouthed as much as Chinese saws here. I do hate MalWart though.

I have wondered about the RedMax based designs and if they were licensed to use them, given that RedMax was clearly licensing their designs to a lot of companies. Also they are sold under the Earthquake brand at major US retailers which they could not get away with if they were stolen designs. And yet they also do make almost exact copies of other saws that I doubt they have permission for.

I have to laugh at their ability to dress up a saw with colors and shapes and people say "oh, how horrible they copied a Jonsered". No they didn't. Jonsered never sold a RedMax G5000 based saw. 90% of what makes up branding is fluff. Like the shape and colors of the Jonsered recoil cover - it's pure decoration that does nothing. It is so easy to fool people that never see beyond the superficial styling nonsense.

Chainsaws are commodity items due to decades of everybody copying each other and most of the brand differentiation is decoration. It turns out the Chinese can do that too.

Anyway, you'd be much better off with a strato engined Poulan 5020 for not much more. But I bet this saw would work fine.

Last edited:
Made in china means stay away from it..... Also don't get fooled by "made in PRC". people's republic of china.

The #### made there is just crap IMO;)

No argument. Most (not all) is inferior material, inferior production techniques, and inferior quality control. I would guess that the major expense in chinese products sold in the US involves shipping and handling.

You like CHI -Com crap? Move to Bejing

Why is America allowing this? They ARE IN DEBT, to the CHI- COMs

I stopped, I am an American, soorrryy Walmart Oh yes. Wamart and ALL their sponsors and rats they sell.

Se ya Gun Grabber Mart!!!!

Sir,

I dont want to live in Bejing...lived in Seoul for a year thank you watching the 38th. That wasnt my original intent by posting this thread. I'm just as patriotic, if not more so than the next guy. I've given my ENTIRE adult life to the service of this great country...yes, you can ##### but it's still the best country in the world...take a visit to Africa, Asia and yes, even Europe. Still the best here folks...even if we have to worry about some liberal taking a lil bit away from us each day...whether it's gun control or free trade agreements. If you want to #####, then do so to your congressman. Or better yet, YOU find a better country to live in. Dont direct your hostility my way for asking a question as a new member on this site. I simply asked a question about the SAW. Maybe I took this a bit personal but with the quote, I felt this was directed at me?

If not, then my sincere apologies Sir.

Respectfully,

Platoon Daddy

Made in China = Not made in America!
I know that there's not many saws made here, but if we don't try to support ourselves who will?

Andy

Good point, but don't blame the chinese. It was corporate America's CEOs that sold out in order to gain those massive perks and paychecks.

I believe 2 of the three listed have stated that they couldn't do it again with the policies in place today. Ill see if I can find a link.

I doubt seriously if any of them will starve to death, or be living on the street, just because they have to pay their fair share. Just sayin'.

Bill Gates has given away something like 28 billion dollars so far and plans to leave his entire 60 billion dollar fortune to charity. Really not such a bad guy.

I doubt seriously if any of them will starve to death, or be living on the street, just because they have to pay their fair share. Just sayin'.

i doubt if they are cutting firewood to help offset heating costs either:msp_unsure:

Explain that to Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and Donald Trump.

I don't think there's anything about business that I need to explain to those guy's.
I don't know for sure about the other 2, but Bill Gates started out with nothing. So you dislike him for what? His success?

Andy

How much would be their fair share? If you want to talk fair then everyone should be paying a certain %, regardless of how much they make.
We're gonna mess around and get this sent to political, then I'm out.

Andy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back