anybody grow lima beans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good News:

this afternoon I noticed a Fordhook lima bean that was lying on side of bed where I had started the others. had already germinated and was rooting. replanted it. guess it had dropped off my seedling tray. so I got 5 out of the original 6 planted...

all of the transplanted seeds, starts... are kicking a** today! :) off and running. responding well to being potted up into start sets. half doz or so now pushing first leaves...

stay tuned -

3/16/2016 update:

the seed starts are doing well... many already into 2 sets of new leaves...

lima beans showing new leaves...

P3160024.JPG

This years pole limas will be growing on some tall fencing I've set up using t-posts. I've got sugar snaps coming up in there first, and after they are done, the limas will be going in probly beginning in May.

View attachment 493985

lookn' good there! :) our English peas have been an overwhelming BlockBuster this year! :) even did some snap peas... picked them over past week and cooked em up and had them with butter over the weekend... very good! very good, indeed! both peas and pods! very good, indeed! ;)

Those sugar snaps are indeed very good! I love 'em. Wish we still planted some.

Those sugar snaps are indeed very good! I love 'em. Wish we still planted some.

I like to pick them right off the vines and eat 'em on the spot like candy. I'm hoping for a decent crop this year, last year the fence I had them growing on was too short and a lot of them fell over. They are easy to freeze, blanch in a vegetable steamer for a couple minutes, then cool and pack into vacuum seal freezer bags.

I like to pick them right off the vines and eat 'em on the spot like candy. I'm hoping for a decent crop this year, last year the fence I had them growing on was too short and a lot of them fell over. They are easy to freeze, blanch in a vegetable steamer for a couple minutes, then cool and pack into vacuum seal freezer bags.

I don't eat too many snap peas uncooked in garden, just don't grow that many... but I do eat English peas... right out of the pod, fresh in the garden... sweet... and as u say... just like candy!! :) I find it interesting as to how many peas end up in a pod. maybe temps have something to do with it... in grow zone 9a... some only have one pea! :eek: but up in country, 100 miles further north... have had many with 12 in each pod and almost all 9-10, 9 being kinda more rare...

I don't eat too many snap peas uncooked in garden, just don't grow that many... but I do eat English peas... right out of the pod, fresh in the garden... sweet... and as u say... just like candy!! :) I find it interesting as to how many peas end up in a pod. maybe temps have something to do with it... in grow zone 9a... some only have one pea! :eek: but up in country, 100 miles further north... have had many with 12 in each pod and almost all 9-10, 9 being kinda more rare...

Peas hate hot weather. My vines begin dying off when the temps hit mid 80's.

Peas do like cool weather, Peas and onion sets were always the first things we planted in the spring, then taters.

Very nice garden, I like that dirt, I don't see a single rock nowhere to be found, Wish my dirt was like that, weather permitting we will try to put some taters in the ground tomorrow before the moon changes again. Looks like you are in for a thunder banger! I am going to take a guess and say that those clouds are north or north west in that picture.

Up here our storms come from the same way 99% of the time. how far east are you? any where near Elizabeth city.

Latest posts

Back