Anybody's Wife Use a Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is always 36-42cc poulans on the classifieds all the time,,,they go cheap enough that if she doesn't like to run it your not out much, i have a little 42cc pulan with a 12" b/c that just plain screams but its light enough to run all day
It's what my wife started on a 23 Husky, but really a Poulan. She's been getting wood with me for nearly 20 years now. Loves to go scrounge wood. Great at stacking, especially the ends. Fights me for the woodsplitter. Heckuva worker! Got her a practically new 235 Husky for $20 bucks and a load of wood this spring. She also uses the MM 36 Husky. Nice little saw.

My wife has never had a running chainsaw in her hands. I'm sure she could handle one as she has done lots of other guy stuff in her life such as change the oil in the car, shoot clay pigeons, cut trim with a power miter saw and install it with an air powered brad nailer, etc.

My sons each got their own chainsaws when they were in their mid teens. Some thought that was reckless but I didn't agree with them. They wear ppe and are were supervised for the first year or so. They also as teens had their own deer rifles and shotguns and pick up trucks. Gotta teach them responsibility while ya have a chance.

My wife has helped load and unload wood and once I get the wood to the woodshed she takes it from there and keeps the house toasty warm all winter.

I know several women who run saw professionally. They are just fine. They generally run 60cc saws. There is no reason why a female can't run a chainsaw well. The question is: does your wife run other tools like drills, circular saw, grinder,mitre saw, etc? A chainsaw is NOT the first powertool someone should run, IMO.

There is also a certain amount of strength required. Any farm girl I know is certainly strong enough.

I would not let a newbie run a saw without a brake or PPE, just because.

JFTR, EVERY well experienced saw hand I know HAS had a reportable accident at some point in their career and many close calls over the years. It is a dangerous occupation. In fact, in BC, Canada it was known that there are more deaths/capita in the forestry industry than all others combined. That was known in about '95 and it may have changed by now. I hope so, with all the training that goes on these days.

PS., the first time I went big-game hunting with my Dad, before I could have a licence and before I had ever shot a centre-fire rifle, he fired a shot across a little ravine into the dirt just as it got dark. The flame shooting out of the barrel left a lasting impression on me. It was then and there I realized I had to pay attention with a firearm.

Maybe the chainsaw lession could be to cut a big piece of frozen meat, including the bone.....or something. Or not. LOL

Last edited:
What are you thinking, man? Set her up with a nice smaller saw to learn with, and take her out cutting! She's your wife, she probably knows more about your wood than you do.

My wife would never pick up a saw....I can barely get her to use the riding mower.

My 120lb mother-in-law on the other hand, cuts her own wood for the wood stove in their house(primary source of heat) and uses a Stihl that makes mine look like a toy from Toys R Us. She has had a close call before, thankfully nothing too serious, but she cuts wood like most men I know, and she can handle that saw like it's her kitchen knife(which is dangerously dull). I give her lots of credit because she did it and many other "manly" tasks out of necessity when raising 4 kids alone after her husband was killed.

Nick

my wife (farm girl) and my boys (tough SOB's at 12 and 15) want to cut with me, and i want to let them. but this being my first year heating with wood and getting a late start to boot i'm kinda run ragged. i got a real nice Shindaiwa 377 i plan to let them learn on once i can devote the time to teaching them.

i say get that girl a good running smaller saw, some PPE and teach her!

I tried it once with the ex and it pretty much scared the poop out of her! I was then able to play with saws by myself. Of course i handed her the 385!

No, but anybody got a real dangerous, nasty killer saw I can give my MIL?
Al.

I don't know if the woman is married, but it looks like she can run a chainsaw.

JaggerJenny.jpg

I cant believe what i am hearing here.

Step one, you tell her the first step is swinging a blockbuster and watch her split a log...

Step two, you show her how to start the saw, then let her do it successfully herself...

Step three, demonstrate the act of cutting a log at the desired measurement, then let her do it...

Step four, assess that the first three tasks were completed within reason, and give her a pass...

Step five, throw her the keys to the truck, tell her you will see her in a few hours and go inside sit on the couch and drink beer while SHE cuts the wood...

Mate you are merely five simple steps away from the perfect world, for fk sake don't blow your chance.

Consistent message coming across is:
Get her a saw that you would also want to cut with (no $20 garage sale specials) 346/261
Get her PPE
Teach her how to safely operate
Cut with her and enjoy

I don't know if the woman is married, but it looks like she can run a chainsaw.

JaggerJenny.jpg

I could be wrong, but this lady doesn't look like the "marrying type". At least not in most of the states. ;)

-Phillip

On edit: I should say though...I am well impressed by a person of her size that handles a tree and chainsaw of that size!

You guys are pretty lucky, my wife cant even cut up a chicken, she's got skills but cutting aint one of them.

until you do something wrong and she turns into mrs. bobbit:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

i can say my wife isn't affraid to get dirty,, she is stout enough to use any saw i have guess thats becasue she lifts patients with her job,,, i really don't think there isn't anything she can't do

My wife and a chainsaw?? are you kiddin'? I keep my woman bare foot and in the kitchen!! OH GAWD!!!here she comes I GOTTA GET OFF HERE!!! JUST JOKIN" !! I'd take her wood cuttin' if she was game,,I'd hate to see her get hurt or trash my saws,,she works like a man in the factory,,some heavy stuff,,she could handle a saw i'm sure with the correct instruction on safety and tool usage...But again, she earns her keep around here workin' the factory gig,,I figure it's my place in our home to keep us in fire wood and tend the OWB..My work is a week end only gig in an "x-ray" dept..I work every sat-sunday, 12.5 hour shifts..off mon.-fri. it pays full time money..my good wife deserves her days off doin' what she wants..

...My work is a week end only gig in an "x-ray" dept..I work every sat-sunday, 12.5 hour shifts..off mon.-fri. it pays full time money..my good wife deserves her days off doin' what she wants..

No I call that an awesome job!

Eh, I'd let my wife do some cutting but she doesn't even like mowing the yard, raking leaves, etc....

He exaggerates only slightly

It's what my wife started on a 23 Husky, but really a Poulan. She's been getting wood with me for nearly 20 years now. Loves to go scrounge wood. Great at stacking, especially the ends. Fights me for the woodsplitter. Heckuva worker! Got her a practically new 235 Husky for $20 bucks and a load of wood this spring. She also uses the MM 36 Husky. Nice little saw.

He exaggerates only slightly! I'm actually not at all fussy about which saw I use. To tell the truth, I'll use whichever saw HE STARTS FOR ME. Yes, it's true. I may as well come clean. I get a whiplash every time I try to start any of our power equipment (except the Honda lawnmower). As far as picking up the saw and getting it into some wood, no problem. He has to fell the tree, but after that, I'd be on my own if these saws started as easily as the lawnmower does. Someday I'll get a 250 Stihl, but in the meantime, I'll just bring him! Oh, I have a little Ryobi electric saw, but all it does is prune small trees. Better than nothing.

As for the wood splitter, he's so happy to sit on his butt while I roll the logs over to him, I'd never have the heart to dethrone him.:heart:

Back