Anyone want to come work with me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like my tattooed skin streeched, cured, and preserved into display frames. And sold on E-bay. That would be cool, profits to Jerry's kids, or whatnot.

Or iz that 2 weird?:alien:

rb,
I'd like to come out your way and climb. From what I've heard on this site it would be an experiance to climb for you. BB

Im just kidding about the whole funeral thing Justin. Dont take life to seriously, none of us are gonna get out of it alive.

Kenn

yep same old problem ......last week 1 of my crew showed up for three days corr thanks i thought:angry: today monday yet another one of the crew fails to show up .how the heck are you supposed to run a business or plan a weeks work like that

i simply get sick and tired of staff problems it seems to me the better i treat um the worse they treat me..i pay top wages ,i treat the crew with respect i dont holler and bawl all day like some bosses i know ,what a lot of employees dont realise is we cant get back ever lost days its impossible..i loose they loose we all loose.its also hard to keep guys nowadays i get a bit sick of teaching a new guy our routine for them to leave in 6 months..i have thought about all types of ways to resolve this staff problem ie anual bonuses,profit shareing schemes,etc etc anyone got any ideas how us poor old tree service owners can solve staff probs

RANT :angry:

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Perhaps they just don't like you?

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black?

aaf_shifty.gif

But I've accepted the fact that I'm not very likable, which is why I'm a freelance climber instead of running a tree company. I don't try to pretend that I'm easy to work with, because I'm not.

Surely, I have the same problem. But I don't like it, and I work at improving myself along those lines.

Maybe this guy?:confused:

http://www.dalecarnegie.com/

But I've accepted the fact that I'm not very likable, which is why I'm a freelance climber instead of running a tree company. I don't try to pretend that I'm easy to work with, because I'm not. Rolla was wondering why no one wanted to work with him after 6 months. I have no doubt that many guys I work with would quit if I were the boss.

im the same rocky,but how many good bosses have i had? none in my books:p at least we can show people good work ethic and how to get a job done.i have my own buis and im sure im a pain to work for,i just make sure if i have a win to give everyone a bonus IF there holding there own.make the step buy a chipper,dump truck.then you will only have yourself to complain about as i have found out:rolleyes:

The way Eric gets it on with our poor departed sonny boy, I think the 4 of us should work together..... we're all so obnoxious we'd prolly have a blast!!! But wait, how can i leave MM out of the equation...and a whole host of you other type A's.....

I could practice untying a TL hitch...but not while MB's on it...:blob2:

reminds me when i was working for the orange people they wanted me to leave, so of course i wouldnt,they made me and another guy "mad mick"(temper from hell)work together in hope we would kill each other or give them a reason to sack us both.we got along great and got to tear into the dumb ass managers together it was great,we still catch up and laugh at those days

I'd love to come and climb some american trees for a while roger...but the visa may be difficult...match my pay in american dollars under the table? :D

mattias i think you and i share the same sense of humor....trailer park boys is common enough but for the red meat i applaud you! good man!

Yeah Gord that Red Meat humor is right up my alley.:D That reminds me, I haven't gone through all of the strips yet. Off I go.:)

Yo Gord, methinx we all got yer drift....I was just funnin' ya....

Only trouble is, my motley crew is stumbling along, mostly Ok, and now back to full size, plus the phone seems quiet of late, so my backlog is dwindling a bit....I think to 2-3 weeks if that....I like it when there's a boatload of work to do...only problem then is getting to it all...I just lost a $1300 job cause I got busy and neglected to call him to ask him to wait a bit longer.

Groundguy - Treeguy relations

Could we merge back to the problem about the bossman being an anus? The treeguy has a duty to be a leader. And to be a leader means, to not be an anus.

Our short-term duty is to move as swiftly, safely and hopefully even enjoyably through the job, and get a check. Our long-term goal is to be respected by the ground guy(s) so they will want to come back to work, as well as not decimate your character in public.

So they show up late, now and then. You're cool. Oversleep once, you're OK, you've done that. They move slower than molasses, seem to have forgotten any training they've gotten, want to leave the jobsite before the job is completed, and shift to becoming more of a liability than an asset. But you must be a team....

Those incidences cost an employer, and you are supposed to stay strong, deal with it properly, tactifully and with affirmed conviction. After all, it's only income slipping down a rat-hole before it can otherwise reach your hand. Or its perennials getting slaughtered AGAIN. Be a leader. Slow is OK. Groundguy can be careless and maim my equipment. That's all right. Respected leader, stand strong.

"Hello, my name is The Tree Machine, and I am an Anus." ( every one Hi Tree Machine) So bad that I am seeking counseling. I want to be a good boss, but I have limitations, like experience with personalities who don't give a flock, tolerance to stupid mistakes, and an impatience that grows exponentially along a linear timeline. Anger, though I hate that side of me, rears it's ugly head in the face of sucky working attitudes on the ground. I have an illness. Until I learn to become a leader, or get some decent ground help, I will never be able to grow my business beyond what it is.

From my experiences in the Army, there always was a fine line between leadership and abuse. Some people rise above the abusive side of the equation, and others revel in it.

I have worked for some great bosses, and others that were so anal I could not stand it. The great one's made you feel like you were a part of the success of the operation, and the lousy ones treated you like you were a inconsequential part of it.

The problems you mention with retaining groundpeople are not unique to the tree care biz. $$$$ can make someone satisfied, but face it, most people would rather be earning their cash in a clean, cool office, if the $$$ were equal. On the other hand I see the same tree care companies advertising over and over again for both climbers and labour, because they treat their people like dung and/or do not pay them a respectable wage. And here there is always the seasonal nature of the job, no wonder people move on quickly.

Back