are you freaking serious

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a few saws that i am selling locally,, a guy called me earlier and asked if i had a BIG saw,, he said that they have a 48 dia red oak on the ground that they needed to buck up,, he told me that they already burnt up 2 saws,, red flag of course,, i told him i had a huskie 288xp i would let go and the price was 400,, well the next question from him was if i would rent him the saw,, well you all know the answer to that,, nope,, that won't happen,, i don't rent out my equipment,,, then he asked if i would warranty the saw,, well the answer to him on that is that i will not warranty it for the reason that i have no control of what is put in it after it leaves, i told him to come out and run it in some logs that i have and decide from there,, more then likely he was hoping i would sell him the saw for 200, they cut up the tree if they don't smoke the saw first and bring it back to get his money back,,,, sorry,,, that just won't happen,,,, if he wants the saw,, i will pull the muffler so he can check out the p/c and then let him run it for a while,, i will work with anyone on a saw but i am not going to get stuck,,,,now the question,, was i wrong in handling it that way??

Not even a subject to be questioned is it?;)

I would have found out what saws he burnt up and if they are nice saws ask 300 and his saws for the 288.

the guy is suppose to call me back tomorrow,, going to find out if he has some trading that he wants to do

At least he didn't ask you to finance it for him. I've had a couple of people ask me to do that and them take the saw on with them. I just tell them that yes I'll finance it, but the last payment has to be made before it leaves my house. I've never had anyone ask about a warranty though.

Hippo needs to stay. I smile everytime I see him.

You were right to just say no. The guy needs to learn how to sharpen. He would have tried to burn up your saw too.

i have a few saws that i am selling locally,, a guy called me earlier and asked if i had a BIG saw,, he said that they have a 48 dia red oak on the ground that they needed to buck up,, he told me that they already burnt up 2 saws,, red flag of course,, i told him i had a huskie 288xp i would let go and the price was 400,, well the next question from him was if i would rent him the saw,, well you all know the answer to that,, nope,, that won't happen,, i don't rent out my equipment,,, then he asked if i would warranty the saw,, well the answer to him on that is that i will not warranty it for the reason that i have no control of what is put in it after it leaves, i told him to come out and run it in some logs that i have and decide from there,, more then likely he was hoping i would sell him the saw for 200, they cut up the tree if they don't smoke the saw first and bring it back to get his money back,,,, sorry,,, that just won't happen,,,, if he wants the saw,, i will pull the muffler so he can check out the p/c and then let him run it for a while,, i will work with anyone on a saw but i am not going to get stuck,,,,now the question,, was i wrong in handling it that way??

Sorry Bud but you were wrong to act that way!!! I think you were way to polite:tongue2::rock::msp_biggrin:

Sounds like the guy is going to give you another call. Depending on how the conversation goes, it could be worth giving him a few pointer on how to avoid burning up his saws in the future. Who knows, he might not know anything about chainsaws and might appreciate some advice...but on the other hand he might not. I know I'd appreciate a tip or 2 if I were running expensive equipment into the ground.

WTF, burnt up 2 saws and lookin' for a warranty???:dizzy:

I don't care how big the tree is, ya' gotta be a DUMB ARSE to kill a saw. "okay, i'll give ya' 400 clams for it and go tackle this 48" oak. After me and my in-bred drunkin' wood cuttin' partners straight gas it, I'll be lookin' for my money back".

I'd say ya' handled guy the right way.

I have cut plenty of wood where I coulda' used a bigger saw(before I graduated to a 71cc saw), and I haven't ever burned one up. Good fuel mix, sharp chain, plenty of bar oil and let the saw do the cuttin'.

The guy probably uses his saw like it's the can opener on his pocket knife....

Some of the guys already beat me to it, but I can't stress enough that the first question to the guy shoulda been "exactly what make and model are the 2 burnt saws?"

Second question (pending the answer to the first), "how much do ya want for them?"

It sounds like you handled it pretty good...I would have told him that I didn't have any saws for sale or rent at this time.

OP.....it's always good to be PC! (most of the time)

Sell him a saw! Get your money out of it......buy it back really cheap when he burns it up! Fix it sell it again!

Latest posts

Back