Are you still burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They used a skidder with an ice tong attached to a choker to winch the slabs out. The latest ice out on Rangeley Lake, since records were kept, was May 24th 1882. There is a good chance that record may be broken.

I let it go last week a couple of times. But still burning leftover 3-6" stuff every evening as 55 deg. is tough to sit around in every night. No longer getting up at 4:30 to make sure the cat gets to temp before leaving the house at 6, which seems "luxurious". Now it's 5:15. Heh.

Cold rain falling right now, feels ten degrees cooler than 45. And crap, the car windows are cracked. Time to do an air sample.

Burning the ugly and. 3 yr old walnut. I'm currently putting up the rest of my oak for next yr. This week we were in the 50s but will hit 80s this weekend.

I had let the fire burn out in my insert for about 2 weeks, but had to re-light due to cold front that came through Sunday. Let it burn out again his morning. This was the first year I have had where I didn't had to run the a/c until May.

But, forecasting 100s starting Sunday through Wednesday. I would rather be burning a fire and enjoying the cold temps than dealing with anything warmer than 80.

Burning one or two pieces at a time it gets way to hot but not burning and it gets kinda chilli. Got to get up in middle of the night and put a piece in. Won't be to long and wood box will get hauled away

Just burning off and on at this point. Had 2 fires this week; both following cold rainy days. From here on out sunny days keep the house warm enough that a fire in the evening isn't needed. But overcast or rainy days, and I'll light up when I get home. Temp has gotten down to 44 the last couple nights, but yesterday and today are sunny with a high of 60.

I'm in purgatory right now. Too warm to burn, too cool for A/C. No way to dry the air, so the humidity remarkably unpleasant. Shopping for dehumidifier now.

Every day since Sept 14th. I'll have to update my post in the "how much wood did you burn this year?" thread. o_O
With any luck I'll get 4 months off before it starts again. It's gettin' real old right now, for sure.

I THOUGHT I was done. Even thought it was kinda warm. But last night my wife asked me to start a fire. (My guess is she was driving around with the car heater set at 85 and then 68 in the house seemed cold.)

The hard part was, since I thought I was done for the season, earlier in the week I piled a bunch of "not quite ready" wood on top of my "good to go" pile, and then it all got rained on.

I like my quadra fire, rake up the coals at dinner add some small stuff and after dinner add a few big splits , wait awhile and shut it down for the evening. We have only lit 2 fires since the end of September. Let the fire go out prior to a blower door test and once to replace the door gasket. The stove works great in any weather, load it up when its cold or just a couple of small pieces when its in the 40s.

not had a fire in weeks but it has been cool at night i just let the propane run a little.

So last night :(

IMG_20140502_223537.jpg

We have 2 days in a row in the forecast with 70f high with sun.
I thought spring was just a myth and the spring game was postponed due to persistent cold rain, but maybe I will hold off on completing the ARK for those days LOL
I'm a little surprised I had enough wood left for the ARK after this winter but I guess silver maple makes a mighty fine ARK if I can just build it before I need it for fire :)

Back