Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another experiment I made, was along the lines of an unhooded tooth design also referred to as a scratcher chain. I cut the top plate completely off and filed an angle on the inside side plate which was similar to the angle of my racing chains. The top of the side plate was filed to a 45° angle following the original slope of the tooth, leaving a sharp pointed leading edge, similar to ½ of an M tooth crosscut saw. This leading edge then severs the wood fiber but doesn’t remove the wood. To remove the wood, I took another tooth, from which I removed all of the tooth portion and just left the depth gauge. Then I turned the “tooth” backwards and installed it into the space directly behind the side cutter. Since this “tooth” was reversed, the outward lean then became an inward lean so the top of the depth gauge was now in the center of the chain. Then I formed this depth gauge into a true raker (.025” shorter than the cutters), which would pull out the wood severed by the leading right and left cutters. It actually worked and the sidewall of the kerf was especially smooth. It was only tested with a 6 cube saw and since all the teeth are cutting, while they rode along the cut, no downward pressure could be applied. With an 090 or other big cubed saw, it could really have good possibilities.

Art Martin

Another sequence of tooth pattern that I have experimented with that is fast cutting and may be more user friendly for the 6 cube saws than the full house is similar to a semi-skip chain. This pattern allows for less teeth than a full house, but has more teeth than a full compliment. It also has a space for elimination of chips. The chain has a right and left cutter following each other without a space. Then one space between the next set of teeth together and so on.

On another news worthy item….the Rupley brothers spent a day with me last week taking a refresher course on chisel tooth filing. They are both serious and passed with flying colors. They are now ready to blow away all comers in the California Clearwater get-together at Mike’s estate on the weekend of the 15th of March.

Art Martin

Art, I am looking forward to some filing lessons this weekend...I will be bringing my chain..(and an ignition) with me...I am pretty sure the Rooopleys will be out of Nevrdull by then, so I should have a good chance!!

Dennis,

With the wweather forecast for rain, it looks like there will be a lot of time for my race chain seminar to take place, with lots of hands-on practice. Hopefully, there will be some breaks in the weather for the sawing events.

Art

Yeah, I just checked weather.com. I wonder how many times a year it rains 4 days in a row there. No matter; rain and beverages are both liquid. Chain sharpening? What's that?

Hi Mike and Art, Rain is ok, its been very cold lately here, so it will be very comfortable there,even if it rains. Doug says he wants to mud wrestle with Robert anyway, being the homosexual that he is.
John

Doug,

The weather here today and the last week has been sunny and in the 70's. What I want to know is do I have to furnish the tether for John or are you going to bring the one you used for him when he visited you. I don't know if it's a good idea just to let him run around loose. Please advise.

Art

NEWS ALERT!!!!!

Attention chainsaw enthusiasts in California, the Preditor is on it's maiden voyage to the Sacramento area. Rotax Robert, with George, called me at 9:45 P.S.T. and asked me to post their progress on this site. They were in Yreka and should arrive in Sacramento tomorrow. Gypo is flying in as well as Doug, Marky Marks and Dennis. I hope the Rupley brothers are ready for a rip roaring weekend.

Art Martin

Rotax, Gypo, Doug, Dennis, Ken and George arrived at Ruppedoggy's and only several cuts were made before darkness set in. Then Ken used the headlights of his Honda for a few more cuts. That's dedication!!! Heavy rains are predicted for tomorrow but it won't matter. The show will go on. They are all great guys.

Art Martin

The weather held good yesterday and several dozens of cuts were made with various and sundry saws. People came from miles around to enjoy the spectacle. It was like ants drawn to a picnic. The predator was the crowd favorite. Art Martin had the fastest saws, chains, and wit. What a great time! Mike

On Monday, the day Rotax, George and Gypo were getting things together to begin their trip to Ken’s place and then home, a Sacramento County tree trimming crew happened by. They were admiring the Preditor and talking with Rotax. Gypo, with his charming personality began using his persuasive ability on the crew. He talked them into trimming a huge oak tree that was on my property. (Oak trees are a protected species in our area and there are strict rules for their preservation. Fines can reach $10,000 for trimming without a permit.) In return for this huge chore, he brought them into my house to view a video of the Preditor making a cut. He then took them into my trophy room and into the workshop. He told them in exchange for the tree trimming, he would get them an autograph from me. While Gypo was entertaining the crew, they left their County equipment, unattended, for at least two hours. No wonder Gypo is such a successful businessman. No wonder Cinnamon Girl fell for his charms.

Art

Latest posts

Back