Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread has been bumped up, I thought it would be a good idea to put to rest something that apparently bothers a few people who have been trying to discredit me. First they attack me on my chains, then my crosscut saws, then my friends and finally my age. How low can you get?
I have been getting disgusting, filthy and offensive emails from Tom Fales, Jr., sometimes on a daily basis. Some of it stems from my mentioning that I once filed crosscut saws for Mark Etcheberry. He calls me a liar and doesn’t think that ever happened. Well, I filed saws for a lot of people and didn’t necessarily care what their status was as to being famous or not, I treated everyone the same. I respect people who go on to be outstanding in their field but still remain humble. I believe people who have attained some notoriety should not become narcissistic and push their emotions and sentiments onto others who just don’t care and aren’t interested.
I will post the letters from Mark Etcheberry for everyone to see and they can judge for themselves the credibility of these few people who have managed to damage this fine Arboristsite.
Later I want to again re-open the subject of full house chains since there has been doubt put on it’s ability to cut as fast as I claim. This probably will again affect the credibility of some so-called “experts” on the site. So be it. I stand behind all the articles I have submitted in the series on race chains. Why wouldn’t I, since I have over 45 years of experience.

Art Martin

Well Art, I'm not into racing (although I have a neat racing saw project in the "skunk-works"... more on that later), but I always enjoyed your posts and pics.

Welcome back, we kept yer spot warm fer ya... cuz you know, at YOUR age...:p

:D

Hi Art. I really enjoyed all the information you have contributed on race chain craftsmanship. I have a thousand questions about the old days of logging, but those'll have to wait.

Regarding race chains, it appears in the picture that originally appeared on page 26 (tool 08.jpg) that the inside edge of the top plates have been ground down. I don't recall reading in the articles that you did this. In fact I seem remember you saying that other than widening the chip channel and refining the angle of the cutters leading edge, you didn't do anything else to the cutter. But it looks like in the picture that the cutters have been ground down. It would seem to make sense that since you're grinding down the rivets that you could also take some width off the kerf by reducing the width of the top plate. Then again, maybe it's just an optical illusion due to glare from the flash or something. just wondering...

Art Martin sites number one Member

Art
As always I enjoy reading your post. I can see that there are many other members that enjoy hearing from you.

You and I have one thing in common that is age. Forty five years in the saw an chain field tells me that you may have reach the interstate speed limited or close to it. Now I have caught up with the super interstate speed limited. I am still kicking as the saying goes but not rasing any dust

When some one would hurt my fellings by making different remarks as you have had done to you. My Dad would tell me to just remember the SOURCE they came from, Some people just do not know any better. That I woul have to over look them. This one word has hope me over look many different things in life.

I am guessing that you and I are from the old school. we were taught that a person has the right to think what they want to But does not give them the right to say it or make remarks that hurts or put down what other people do

Doug.

Hey dbadcock,
You said that you're posting some videos for Art. It's sad that he's not capable of doing for himself.

dbadcock said,"And with an IQ over 50 to boot!"

Here's some qualifing facts about Intelligence Quotients.
Levels of Mental Deficiency:
IQ of 0-25 Idiot: Incapable of connected speech, or avoiding the common dangers of life, cannot feed self.
IQ of 26-50 Imbecile: Commonly incapable of earning a living, cannot dress self.
IQ of 51-80 Moron: Requires supervision in work, recreation, and the general conduct of life, can almost manage unskilled work.

It looks to me like that with the IQ over 50, he probably falls in the Moron category if he is incapable of posting video himself. Doing a Moron's busy work? Where does that place you on the Intelligence Scale, dbadcock?

I believe, Mr Cahoon, that the video footage is analog, and Art does not have the equipment to digitize it....

Now who has the IQ deficiency??

Rbtree, I have been incapable of earning a living and unable to put my shoe on for months now, so I know where I'm at! But I sure don't work for Art Martin.
Gypo, That's still better than a wedge! LOL

Dennis, Doug only said that because it's fairly obvious you dress yourself.
Now, based on the pictures we've seen of Gypo, Hmm....
I myself am still working on avoiding the common dangers of life.
:D

I imagine the fun of spending hours putting together a racing chain has grown old long ago for Art. I'd be willing to wager though that if he chose to put one together for a known set of conditions, no one anywhere could make one that would beat it by anything more than 100ths of a second if it could beat it at all!. I dare say that it is only people with fragile self esteem and poor judgement feel the need to attack someone else. One of the posters here has the signature to the affect of "when your really good other people will do your bragging for you". It really would be much more validating than self praise. Obviously other people have a different way of looking at things.

Frank

Yo DC,

I've always been able to put my shoe...

in my mouth..except when I was shoeless cause I was sporting a cast.

Just trying to mess up the goofy mood in this thread with something "Sirius"

Rb outerspace Wan

Last edited:
Insert this anywhere you like in this thread.
It seems a shame to drag this thread through all the pissin' contests.
There is such a valuable lot of history and technical knowledge gained from decades of experience that Mr Martin gave and dbabcock helped present to us. Of course arboristsite allowed it on their dime too.
From all indications I can see, Art Martin presented this for free. I think of the great number of those who've read some of what Art has told here, most would want more knowledge from him.

Mr Martin, I wish you all the best.

I think Art is a man that stands tall among the member on this site, He has every reason to. He is one of the Best Second to none. His work stands for it self.
Art does not toot his horne about his work or ask for credit for it.He knows he dang Good and so do other. Some may not want to amid it.

Members have expressed Care for Art in different ways
Humor is one way and the other is with feelings. Now both ways are ment with the Best Intention because each one CARES

Croften is one who express him self with feelings. He reached way down in his Heart when he expressed how he felt Hi feeling are Deep.

The members with Humor are saying the same words as Croften and the same deep feeling as he expressed.

I have said, it before and still feel the same way. the members on this site are some of the best in their field of work and standing to geather as FRIENDS

Douglas
(Senior In Age)

Back