Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During last weekend’s California Clearwater get-together, I was able to demonstrate the honing procedure to those who were here. If it is done properly, a gain of at least 2 seconds is easily attained on a 24” log when no other thing has been done to the chain. On the other hand, if a person hones a chain improperly, the chain will go down in the cut about 4 inches, just enough to bury the bar, and then stop. No matter how hard you push down, it won’t cut. This is why it is important to make a tool that I have displayed in the picture I posted previously. If you don’t hone it properly, it is best to just leave it alone. I will post the same picture again, but the pressure point of the clamping device is at a different point when honing than it is when you are using the tool for filing. The adjustable clamp should apply pressure on the rear rivet of the tooth that you are honing.

Art Martin

Now that all of you have made your stoning device out of a discarded bar and attached an adjustable clamp, we can continue. A 2” X 8” X 1” sharpening stone that has one side real fine grit and the side is coarser is a good stone to use. I also have used a razor stone but it takes longer to hone because it is glassy smooth. Use the fine grit side. Once the chain is filed and the depth gauges are set, the honing is the last step. The pressure clamp is adjusted to put slight pressure on the rear rivet. Then the heel of the stone is held and rides against the bar with the middle section riding on the outside of the outside cutter. Of course, the heel of the stone is to the rear of the tooth to maintain the proper angle of the cutter. If the tooth is stoned without pressure to the tooth, the tooth will lean back away from the stone and front edge of the tooth will lose its leading edge and stop cutting. Three to six strokes with the stone is enough. I use WD-40 to keep the stone clean when it begins to build up with metal.

During the California Clearwater weekend, I went through the different steps of making a racing chain in my shop with the guys. Starting with a piece of new chain, we shortened the tooth to over the rear rivet; de-chromed the tooth; doggy boned; sloped the side straps; hollowed out the inside of the tooth; reduced the size of the depth gauge; filed the tooth to the proper angles and stoned the tooth. I showed them another depth gauge that I made to accurately measure the depth gauge. Once the depth of one depth gauge is established, then the other gauge is set to that height and used to file the tops of the other depth gauges. This gauge is much easier and more accurate than trying to use a straight edge and feeler gauges.

Art Martin

Hi Ricky,

I always used a combination of light weight oil, kerosene, and S.T.P. I used the kerosene because of its pitch cutting properties. It seemed to prevent the build up of the chips in the groove.

Art

Hi Art

In the post on page 14 at the bottom of the page. You are talking about the forward cutting corner will stick out six degrees more than the heel of the top plate. On a new tooth how many thous. would need to be removed ?

THANKS
Ricky

Ricky,
I made a more detailed explanation of the 6 degrees "lead" on page 15 dated 12-19-02. The 6 degrees mentioned on page 14 that you referred to, didn't cover how I came up with the amount of "lead" that I use on my racing chains.
The word "set" that I used was not the proper term. The word "lead" is more correct.

The Mike Maas drawing on page 14 dated 12-18-02 is a very good depiction of "set", which is the outward lean of a tooth. I later corrected the term "lead" in my post on page 14 dated 12-18-02.

As far as the amount removed in thousandths that you asked about, why don't you measure the sample teeth that I sent you?

I welcome any questions or explanations on the posts that I submitted in this thread since they might seem complicated especially to someone starting out.

Art

Come on, Dennis. You're gonna have to do better than that to get "Cahoonsite.com" up to 23,000 views. As I told you earlier, negative campaigning won't work here. You're waisting your time trying to convince people that Art is no good just as sure as they'd be waisting their time trying to convince you that he is. After I talked to you the other day, I thought you had more common sense than that. Did I misjudge you?

dBabcock,
You misunderstood what I was implying. I wasn't giving Art a hard time, I was giving you and the 'nerds' a bad time!
Keep reading, grinding, filing, and posting,
Dennis

Gypo, the misspelling could be an association to the chronic wasting disease related to drinking just enough Remy. :D

Russ

Dennis, I have found just like in NASCAR multi-car teams are advantagious. When the owner of the team sacrifices his ride to take care of the rest of the team, one day, will either have to stop racing, or loose the anchor and concentrate on his game again. Tell me, did I not notice Tommys' game a bit less perfect at Oroville, with the team he was fielding? This is not a slam of Tom Fales, but rather an observation. So don"t hound the nerds that run a smaller team,.......... unless you don't like the competition taking a bite out what you think is yours only. Hell,"Why wouldn't I stir Up the site, you've been doing a good job!
Respectfully Yours Jon
P.S. I've got one bad Mark Eckhardt saw coming soon," to a race near you"!

Mr. Martin

Mr. Martin

I am sorry to learn that you are not doing good at this time. That you are having a health problem, I feel sure you and I have the same Doctor. All thing are posable trough Him
May His Hand Of Healing Be on you And Your Health Restored
Just think with him you do not have to have insurance policys or medicare. His office is open twenty four hours a day and he makes house calls. His phone lines never ring busy they are open to every one

If it be His WILL may your health be returned NOT our will but HIS WILL BE DONE---Amen

May GOD be with all the members for we are all his children

I just wanted to revist this post and read some of the great information that was shared here.

Art,

If your still reading this forum, I hope that you and yours are having a happy holiday season. I would also like to wish for you a great 2004.

Thanks for all the great information that you shared with this site.

Regards,

To Art Martin.

Art, have not been on ArboristSite for very long. Have read various post form you and others. I don't know you, but would sure like to meet you sometime. Have a lot of respect for you. Hope you will be better soon, just know that I and everyone else here, are pulling and praying for you to get better. Take care. Lewis.

Latest posts

Back