Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is great, the sawchain filing is fascinating, the photos are completely worth the time, thank you.
I was very fortunate to have learned the trade from men very much like Art Martin. Men who worked through the transitional period from handtools to what I think of as modern chainsaws. The master faller that I spent most of my time with, used the same big Homelites that Art used, never used anything else. The "old" guys had the knowledge and patience to direct my nearly lethal combination of youthful exuberance and developing talent. I carry with me a clear picture of the old man, sitting on a stump, smoking a dreadful cigar, watching me work. He always had a handfull of rocks, the second it looked like I was going to make a wrong move, he would bounce one off my tinhat, a signal to stop and await instructions, he never missed with those rocks or his advice.

I wish you a long life Art, you are indeed one of a kind.

Irons

The question was asked why those climbing irons were made that way. (page 6.....post 79)

I'd guess it's because it's easer for a blacksmith to fab them that way, as the gaffs are forged on the bitter end of the steel.

Art, let me add my thanks for your invaluable contribution to this site.:cheers:

Carl

Last edited:
The question was asked why those climbing irons were made that way. (page 6.....post 79)

I'd guess it's because it's easer for a blacksmith to fab them that way, as the gaffs are forged on the bitter end of the steel.

Art, let me add my thanks for your invaluable contribution to this site.:cheers:

Carl

attachment.php

I way thinking the same thing.

Made by a good Smithy, but one that did not the equipment to forge-weld the spikes so the shanks could be on the inside, as that would be more stable.

Taking it a step further, a guess....

If the Smithy did not have a coal forge, but did what he could with what he had (hardwood or wood charcoal without a lot of blower) those would be all that he could make.

With at least a blower, hardwood or charcoal , the Smithy could have folded the steel back and created an inside spike.

It would be a good study to see those spikes!

The Concorde circa 01/07.

When I fly down the Hudson from up here in New Hampshire to circle the Statue of Liberty or fly up the south side of Long Island to the Hamptons where I figuratively blow the shingles off of Seinfeld's house, I always make it a point to fly over to the Manhattan side to see ground zero and the Intrepid. I took this admittedly sucky picture a couple of years ago when the Intrepid had been hauled away to drydock for maintenance.

Nice pic Doug, have you done any longlining with it yet?
I had the opertunity of blazing trails for gold exploration up here and had at least 60 trips in this baby. The pilot would drop us off at treeline and pick us up at the bottom of the mountain.
John

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Thanks for all the pictures ,#91 looks like it was taken in Faulk next to Elk River?Learned to file cross cut with a red tang simmons kant file .

Thanks for all the pictures ,#91 looks like it was taken in Faulk next to Elk River?Learned to file cross cut with a red tang simmons kant file .

if youve been around for that long we need to start you a thread so you can tell some of your stories, because i know youve got some good ones. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back