Aspen in 40:1 Mix Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a 20+ year old McCulloch which should be a 40:1 mix ratio ... is it OK to use Aspen at 50:1 or would you add the extra oil to bring up to 40:1?

I know over the years 2 stroke oils have got better and you see some people say they're running 50:1 saws at up to 100:1 with Amsoil, does anyone know if the oil in Aspen is meant to be "superior quality" and if it should be OK .... it'll save me having to mix and keep a different ratio just for 1 tool and is a lot easier if you don't have to mix at all.

40:1 is fine , I run anywhere between 40 and 32:1 in all my McCulloch saws.
100 or 80:1 is for persons who want to rebuild their saws , basically snake oil.

I think you've maybe missed what I was asking but that may well be I didn't make it that clear .... Aspen is 50:1 and if I don't have to is it OK to run a saw that the manufacturer says should run at 40:1 at 50:1 instead or will it damage the saw ... it'd be a faff to start mixing an extra 5ml oil per litre if I don't have to ... I'm not thinking of taking the mix anywhere near 80:1 or 100:1.

Why not just stick with the manufacture recommended 40:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To make life easier with a saw doesn't get used that much but probably would a lot more if I didn't have to mix it to a different ratio than the other saws use.
It'd save me EVER having to mix fuel, it's much easier to just grab something that's pre-mixed and pour it, it'd also save me having to buy a separate bottle of 2 stroke oil and I've then got to store it what's mixed in a separate container so I now have to take 2 with me as opposed to one ... it's just to make the process / gear you have to take with you simpler .... why wouldn't anybody want that??

I'm not familiar with Aspen oil. I run Woodland Pro synthetic at 45:1 - 50:1 in everything from the 1950s to present. The variation is due to the small amount of oil left in the bottle.
I'm assuming you're asking because the Aspen comes in a bottle size that gives you 50:1 when mixed with one gal. Unless you're rinsing all the oil out, a 2.6 oz bottle doesn't even give you 50:1. Instead of trying to add 5mm oil, why not back off on the fuel a little to hit the desired ratio? How much are you mixing at one time? Whatever you decide, make sure you re-tune the saw for the mix you use.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html.

I'm not familiar with Aspen oil. I run Woodland Pro synthetic at 45:1 - 50:1 in everything from the 1950s to present. The variation is due to the small amount of oil left in the bottle.
I'm assuming you're asking because the Aspen comes in a bottle size that gives you 50:1 when mixed with one gal. Unless you're rinsing all the oil out, a 2.6 oz bottle doesn't even give you 50:1. Instead of trying to add 5mm oil, why not back off on the fuel a little to hit the desired ratio? How much are you mixing at one time? Whatever you decide, make sure you re-tune the saw for the mix you use.

Ahhh ... OK, I thought Aspen was widely used globally but maybe not ... it's premixed when you buy it at 50:1

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/products/aspen-fuel/

I'm also not on the 50-1 bandwagon, especially in older saws. It's not that you can't get away with it, many people do. It's that we have crap gasolines with who knows what additives in them, often with alcohols mixed in, being used in saws that recommend 50-1 not because it's the best mix for longevity, but because it's easier to satisfy air quality standards. Add in that many of us have saws that were used and abused when we got them, that are 30-60 years old, that may have various more or less leaky seals and bearings and clearances that aren't exactly factory spec...a little richer mix is safer than a too lean mix. Will you be safe using 50-1 premix? If the saw is tight and doesn't have leaky seals and you tune it properly it will probably work fine. If it's borderline as far as air leaks, maybe has an iffy air filter and set too lean it might eventually be bad for it. Here in the states I see pre-mix offered in 50-1 and 40-1. You might look around and see if 40-1 is available. If not, it's your call.

I think you've maybe missed what I was asking but that may well be I didn't make it that clear .... Aspen is 50:1 and if I don't have to is it OK to run a saw that the manufacturer says should run at 40:1 at 50:1 instead or will it damage the saw ... it'd be a faff to start mixing an extra 5ml oil per litre if I don't have to ... I'm not thinking of taking the mix anywhere near 80:1 or 100:
You might want to avoid Aspen in old saws, it has been said it has a cleaning property,
you don't want to loosen up carbon and have it destroy your piston or cylinder.
I have no proof of this, read it, read also people spray penetrating oil in the plug hole thinking
its a good idea when they want to store a saw, same issue, it loosens carbon, just saying.

I would not use 50:1 in an older saw, I don't use it in a new one either, there is a reason your old
saw lived to it got old, oil is important.

Because it sat on a shelf for 20 years without being used :D
That’s not the norm, most saws get used, or used and abused, they have carbon buildup,
and it’s not good to loosen that up unless you are going to remove it before running the engine.

Aspen is fuel, not oil, it comes premixed at 50:1, or it comes as straight fuel
that you can add your own oil to.

run all your stuff at 40:1. Problem solved.

Certainly something I hadn't thought about but might this cause any issues for newer saws that are set up to be run at 50:1, I've recently bought a Stihl MS 261 C-M with a far greater value and if I were to choose between potentially doing any damage to one or the other I'd definitely be looking after the Stihl.

The McCulloch was a cheap one I bought years ago to replace a stolen saw shortly before moving from a house with a fire to one without hence the long gap between use until we had a wood burmer installed recently.
I thought the saw was damaged and virtually written it off as it kept cutting out but have found out it's either the fuel was getting too low in the tank (think the line's badly placed in teh tank but need to double check) or the fuel was off because if I replace it with a new tank of full fuel it runs perfectly.

Using it would be a convenience and a back up and woud be the saw I wasn't "precious" about and used for anything where the saw / chain may get damaged and permanently leaving it in the car with the associated risk it might get stolen ... that said I wouldn't knowingly harm it if running the incorrect mix was going to.

Adding extra oil won’t hurt a thing, not adding it might. I do it with canned fuel often to make 50:1 into 40.

We have to remember that oils have come a long way for the 60’s. No longer need a pint of 30 weight in 2 gallons of gas.

Aspen also sells straight fuel to make what you want up. I’d personally go that route.

Latest posts

Back