Aspen in 40:1 Mix Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly something I hadn't thought about but might this cause any issues for newer saws that are set up to be run at 50:1, I've recently bought a Stihl MS 261 C-M with a far greater value and if I were to choose between potentially doing any damage to one or the other I'd definitely be looking after the Stihl.

The McCulloch was a cheap one I bought years ago to replace a stolen saw shortly before moving from a house with a fire to one without hence the long gap between use until we had a wood burmer installed recently.
I thought the saw was damaged and virtually written it off as it kept cutting out but have found out it's either the fuel was getting too low in the tank (think the line's badly placed in teh tank but need to double check) or the fuel was off because if I replace it with a new tank of full fuel it runs perfectly.

Using it would be a convenience and a back up and woud be the saw I wasn't "precious" about and used for anything where the saw / chain may get damaged and permanently leaving it in the car with the associated risk it might get stolen ... that said I wouldn't knowingly harm it if running the incorrect mix was going to.

If 40-1 was available and you wanted just one mix for everything, I'd go that route. The newer stuff isn't so much designed to run at 50-1 a it's necessary to run it to satisfy air quality regs. That's also why many saws come from the factory set way too lean. The idiocy of this is lost on world leaders that jet around from meeting to meeting in aircraft that produce more pollutants in one trip than perhaps 10,000 chainsaws in the course of a year. But I haven't seen any world leaders using chainsaws since Ronald Reagan back in the 70's, so what do they care?!!! Try the 40-1, tune the saw to run right and go for it.

add a cap of sae30 oil to the saws tank before filling with the premix or go the better route and buy quarts of quality 2 stroke oil and mix your own at 40-1 by the gallon as you need it...every month or two just pour what you did not use of the 40-1 into your car/trucks gas tank it will not hurt it and mix more the next time your needing it.

You gotta love a good oil thread!:popcorn2::popcorn2:

Certainly good to see such a unanimous opinion from everybody :laugh:

That said it's been interesting and has made me realise there isn't a definitive answer so to run it on anything but the recommended is probably not going to be in it's best interest so have decided I'll keep buying the premixed Aspen that's 50:1 and try and find a really good 1ltr container that fuel doesn't evaporate from that quickly and mix a litre in at a time with the extra 5 ml of oil to make it 40:1 just for this saw.

A big thank you to everyone for all their input it's been really useful and much appreciated :) !!

Certainly good to see such a unanimous opinion from everybody :laugh:

That said it's been interesting and has made me realise there isn't a definitive answer so to run it on anything but the recommended is probably not going to be in it's best interest so have decided I'll keep buying the premixed Aspen that's 50:1 and try and find a really good 1ltr container that fuel doesn't evaporate from that quickly and mix a litre in at a time with the extra 5 ml of oil to make it 40:1 just for this saw.

A big thank you to everyone for all their input it's been really useful and much appreciated :) !!

A medical syringe is good for measuring small amounts of oil.

Look at camp stove fuel bottles for solid 1l bottles meant to hold fuel. I recommend Trangia bottles, easiest to pour from.

A medical syringe is good for measuring small amounts of oil.

That's funny ... guess what I found in the draw the other day :D ... it's partially this that made me decide to stick with the 40:1 just for this saw and the fact I can easily mix up small amounts i.e. 500ml of fuel and accurately use the syringe to stick in the extra 2.5ml of required oil or just do a litre and 5ml and leave it in a storage can.

All I need to find now is a decent container that the fuel doesn't evaporate from as quickly as the ones I have, I've been using a couple of these types below and they're awful for fuel loss
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stroke-Pet...ocphy=9045779&hvtargid=pla-699839964865&psc=1

If it were me I'd be more inclined to run everything at 40:1. I have seen user manuals that recommended running the manufacturers premium oil at 50:1 & "other" oils at 25:1. I have also seen manuals for the same saw issued in different countries calling for a different mix (EPA vs not EPA regulated).
In my experience infinitely more saws suffer catastrophic failure from bearing/lubrication issues than carbon/fouling issues so I'd sooner have more oil than less.
A good experiment if you have a saw apart is to fill the crank case with 50:1 mix & spin the crank by hand, then dump the contents & repeat with 25:1 mix - you can actually feel the difference.
At the end of the day, the key thing is to TUNE YOUR SAW TO YOUR MIX! If you put more oil in you get slightly less fuel causing leaner running... & if you're already on the lean side...

I run 40:1 Trufuel, very similar to Aspen 2T. It's just stupid expensive on a $$/gallon basis, but I'm a homeowner firewood cutter and my saws are the only two strokes I have. I burn less two stroke mix all year than a lot of guys here burn in a day, and my saws can sit for months at a time. I can afford $40/yr in fuel in exchange for a complete elimination of fuel related headaches.

Last week was the real test, first time storing on Trufuel and firing up the saw after sitting for 6 months to do storm cleanup. It started on the third pull, and ran like I'd been using it the day before. I'm sold, $40/yr is money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I run 40:1 Trufuel, very similar to Aspen 2T. It's just stupid expensive on a $$/gallon basis, but I'm a homeowner firewood cutter and my saws are the only two strokes I have. I burn less two stroke mix all year than a lot of guys here burn in a day, and my saws can sit for months at a time. I can afford $40/yr in fuel in exchange for a complete elimination of fuel related headaches.

Last week was the real test, first time storing on Trufuel and firing up the saw after sitting for 6 months to do storm cleanup. It started on the third pull, and ran like I'd been using it the day before. I'm sold, $40/yr is money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Solid plan if you dont go through it. Last time I was out in the woods I went through nearly 2.5 gallons of mix. We were also in bigger wood working the larger saws, I was running my 390xp and my mate had his echo cs670.

Run any 2 stroke tool at 40:1 for the sake of the main bearings (rolling wear cares about oil amount more than its composition, unlike sliding wear that happens during piston movement, which can indeed handle 80-100:1 and type of oil matter more, but its more sensitive to jetting, if you go a bit lean you're screwed quick), problem solved, just jet it right, that's all that matters. If you run a good oil and fresh fuel you can use your saw 4:1 ratio, there's rarely too much oil. Yes you will get spooge, but jetted right there will be no other issues, carbon deposits or anything like that (the beauty of most synthetic/ester oils, plus most of the deposits are from **** gas, not the oils). Aspen gas is amazing in its performance and storage for sure, it's been a well known thing (I believe they provide the gas for Motomix, VP fuel etc), only paraffins in its composition (what pump gas should be, but eh, greed), burns very clean, no benzene!!! (goodbye leukemia and lung problems). It's only problem is the price, so I use it mostly for storage, I empty the gas can and fill with aspen, as good for rubbers and doesn't allow air or other oxidants inside the carb, like it would happen when you "dry run" your saw for storage. I also use it for some old saws (which have modern rubber fuel lines so they should handle ethanol gas), but I just like the feel of knowing they're spoiled lol.

Back