ATV ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you are more then welcome to deliver...just make sure you use the bobcat...:hmm3grin2orange: I hear they like the warmer weather....:msp_lol::msp_lol:

They sure do :) Those diesel engines in them don't start worth a crap if left outside in the 20 below weather.. but then again neither do I :)

Be kind of slow though.. think I could not guarantee the quality of product when it arrived..

I stared at those pics for a long time and no where did I see anything that said "cheap" or even "reasonable" when I looked for $$$$....that is a hot set up. thoroughly muddies up the decision process more...thanks...
A

I'm betting they were both at 10k or more.

You can get a RC 30 with 400 hours for 10 K.

i have both a 2010 polaris sportsman 500ho 4x4 atv, and a kubota L4400 4x4 tractor. the atv is a great wagon puller, and is easy to transport. its more of a toy, but can work when it has to. it does spend alot of time pulling my 2500lb+ log splitter, which is does fine, but the rear springs dont like it too much.

my tractor can carry alomost the same as the atv can pull, almost never gets stuck, can drive through 3 feet of snow, and can pull 20x what the atv can. when my wood trailer gets too heavy for the atv, the tractor has no problem pulling them both.

i'd buy a used tractor before i bought an atv.....much more useful for things other than wood stuff

i'd buy a used tractor before i bought an atv.....much more useful for things other than wood stuff

Can be.. and depends on what your "other things" are.. as there are a lot of other things the atv is also well suited for.. and many at which that it would outperform the tractor.

If you were ONLY using it for wood.. I would say go with tractor likely - again depending on your woodlot.. size, etc. But a lot depends on what your other stuff is.. for many the things an atv can do may prove more aligned with the atv function that that of a tractor.. so each has to really consider their own need.

Hey Angelo,

You got to make a trip up to my farm as soon as the snow melts. You can try out all the crap I have here and decide for yourself. I have a Grizzly 700EFI, that mini truck thing, an articulated skidder (which is my personal fav for hauling wood) and a Deere tractor. Pick yer poison.

I have to agree with an earlier post, that the Grizzly is more of a riding ATV than a log skidder. It has the best ride of any ATV IMO, but that comes at a bit of a price.

Hey Angelo,

You got to make a trip up to my farm as soon as the snow melts. You can try out all the crap I have here and decide for yourself. I have a Grizzly 700EFI, that mini truck thing, an articulated skidder (which is my personal fav for hauling wood) and a Deere tractor. Pick yer poison.

I have to agree with an earlier post, that the Grizzly is more of a riding ATV than a log skidder. It has the best ride of any ATV IMO, but that comes at a bit of a price.

ya got beer up there ????

Sounds like we'll be up that way in a few weeks to go to Wampum's little paradise !!! Thanks for the invite... !!! looking forward to it.
A

I own an ATV and a small 4wd FEL/BH tractor. Both have their uses. If I had to give one up the ATV would be the one to go. The tractor will do so much more, it even turns sharper than the ATV...only downside to me is I have some steep terrain, the tractor can turn over much easier than the ATV.

I have nothing but good things to say about my polaris 500 efi.

I can pull 24in logs (4 ft long) nicely. independent rear sus. loads of torque and rides like a caddi.

however, I would love to have a john deere compact tractor w/ a front end loader 3pt hitch and pto.

If you plan on playing go for the atv. strictly working go with the tractor

I have nothing but good things to say about my polaris 500 efi.

I can pull 24in logs (4 ft long) nicely. independent rear sus. loads of torque and rides like a caddi.

however, I would love to have a john deere compact tractor w/ a front end loader 3pt hitch and pto.

If you plan on playing go for the atv. strictly working go with the tractor

I agree regarding Polaris.. a good friend of mine has one and nice machine. It does not seem to have quite the ground clearance of my Cat.. but other than that it is a very nice unit.

If you are doing anything that can use the pto.. the tractor is hard to beat for sure.. even mowing lawns, etc..

Why not just get em both :)

I have both now (Kubota L3830 4x4 w/ FEL and a Kodiak 450 4x4). If I had just pick one, I'd pick the tractor, no question. With a boom pole/ tongs and a set of forks you can move alot of wood in a day.

I'd make a rack that hooks onto the fork frame to carry saws, oil, etc and just lift it off when I got to the cutting site and skid/ carry the logs to the cutting site.

Can be.. and depends on what your "other things" are.. as there are a lot of other things the atv is also well suited for.. and many at which that it would outperform the tractor.

If you were ONLY using it for wood.. I would say go with tractor likely - again depending on your woodlot.. size, etc. But a lot depends on what your other stuff is.. for many the things an atv can do may prove more aligned with the atv function that that of a tractor.. so each has to really consider their own need.

other than buzz down the road at 50mph, and ride in the back of my toyota, i cant think of anything the atv does better than my tractor. the width difference in minimal, and makes not difference to me.

other than buzz down the road at 50mph, and ride in the back of my toyota, i cant think of anything the atv does better than my tractor. the width difference in minimal, and makes not difference to me.

Well.. depends.. I can guarantee you are NOT getting your tractor in where we go hunting.. no way.. no how..

That is only one example mind you.. there are likely others.. depends upon terrain you need to cover.. and what you are doing.

Back