ATV ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both now (Kubota L3830 4x4 w/ FEL and a Kodiak 450 4x4). If I had just pick one, I'd pick the tractor, no question. With a boom pole/ tongs and a set of forks you can move alot of wood in a day.

I'd make a rack that hooks onto the fork frame to carry saws, oil, etc and just lift it off when I got to the cutting site and skid/ carry the logs to the cutting site.

Have to agree... I love my Arctic Cat, but I can't tell you how many times that loader tractor has gotten me out of jams... Everything from relieving pinched saws, skidding whole trees with the trunk off the ground, pushing up brush piles, and like a good horse, using it as a buffer between me and something that could kill me. If I could only have one, that would be it... :cry: But I like both!:msp_smile:

Have to agree... I love my Arctic Cat, but I can't tell you how many times that loader tractor has gotten me out of jams... Everything from relieving pinched saws, skidding whole trees with the trunk off the ground, pushing up brush piles, and like a good horse, using it as a buffer between me and something that could kill me. If I could only have one, that would be it... :cry: But I like both!:msp_smile:

Nice unit. Yes.. having both is best .. :)

Hedgerow,

nice looking tractor !!! even better looking operator.....good luck keeping the help away from both !!!!

Well.. depends.. I can guarantee you are NOT getting your tractor in where we go hunting.. no way.. no how..

That is only one example mind you.. there are likely others.. depends upon terrain you need to cover.. and what you are doing.

unless width is an issue (and it may be in your example), i would not hesitate to take my tractor ANYWHERE the 4wheeler goes. it easily climbs hills that if i was not seat belted-in, i would not be able to stay in the seat; and it will start and stop in the middle of the hill without issue.

if the use of the vehicle is to be mostly recreational/light wood hauling/light wagon pulling, then atv it is. a tractor can accept so many varied attachments, plow so much more snow, tow so much more weight, lift so much more stuff, etc

30 years ago, there werent many atvs out there, and tractors were used for EVERYTHING.....how did everyone do it?

I have use of two tractors, an 52 8N, and a 88 Kubuto B6200HST 4WD, and of course my ATV. With alot of the terrain I have on my property the atv and trailer get the most use gatering the initial wood and yearly trail clean up etc......
Its just to dangerous in most places to access it with the tractor where I am cutting. The tractor pays off hauling the wood from my landings to the yard, and the ole 8N sees most of this use ( it can haul a few thousand pounds of logs at a time). The Kubota is my go to for skidding in the lowlands, and every other task to do around the property that requires a tractor (15hp, 4wd, hydrostat, and live pto are blessings). The atv an trailer get used for everything else, even driving to work when the wife borrows the truck, etc... On the bike i can do most common tasks faster (can haul 1 face cord down the trail to the yard at 50kph..........then go back for another 3 trips) in less time than using the tractor. It uses less fuel, is more comfortable, and it just a whole lot more fun!

unless width is an issue (and it may be in your example),

Width, hills, swamp, rocks.. even a dirt bike would have trouble trying to get through it.. in fact I doubt a dirt bike could traverse some of it...

30 years ago, there werent many atvs out there, and tractors were used for EVERYTHING.....how did everyone do it?

We used horses for where I am talking about..

Hedgerow,

nice looking tractor !!! even better looking operator.....good luck keeping the help away from both !!!!

That's my wife... She IS the help!!! The Tractor is a KIOTI DK65S. I chose it OVER the Deere and Kubota. It now has 1000 hours on it. I have always run Deere tractors, but couldn't be more pleased with this KIOTI. It's got a Perkins in it.:rock:

A lot of good and useful information here.I have used both, a lot of my cutting is on other property. So I find it much easier to load the ATV in the truck wood on trailer 5 by 10. Hook ATV to trailer head to woods. get load and head home that about all I won"t in one day.

Back