Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was afraid the saw wouldn't oil so I put some thin oil in it. Looks like I better put the sticky stuff in next time. I think I'll tear it down when I get time and check that pulse hose to see why it's got so much pressure in the tank. I may try to run it with the oil pulse line plugged up to see if it helps the idle before I mess with the carb.
Yeah , I have great luck with mine. They are pretty picky little boogers, they like NEW duck bills and pulse lines regular! I have four that run and LOTS of parts new and used.
I love those little things !

Brought the GMC up to my buddy's shop. I've had it a week but I wanted to start going thru it. Did the fuel filter last week. Tonight was oil, filter, gear oil in trans and diff, 16 grease fittings and a new pitman armimage.jpg
Needs shocks and break lines eventually, open diff ;( not bad for a 31 year old truckimage.jpg

I picked up a mutt. Late model 390XP cases, 385XP top end and coil. Compression is 130psi and runs. Needs a top end rebuild and a little love.....it'll be my next build since finishing the Shindaiwa 577.

IMG_20150402_140905-L.jpg

IMG_20150402_140838-L.jpg

Yeah , I have great luck with mine. They are pretty picky little boogers, they like NEW duck bills and pulse lines regular! I have four that run and LOTS of parts new and used.
I love those little things !
I took mine apart today and put a little restrictor screw in the pulse line. Haven't run it yet, just something to try before I try more drastic changes..

I fired the little Super 2 up today and had the same results. Apparently the oiling had little to do with the idling so I changed carburetors to a Tillotson, still with one screw and it roared to life! I guess that's all it needed. The restrictor screw in the line made it oil less but I can still see a small amount slinging off the end of the bar so I guess that's enough. I can tell it has a bad rear sprocket on it so I'm gonna try to take a good one off another parts engine but it's awfully hard to get that clip out since this one doesn't have ears on it. Maybe I can somehow pry it off, looks like a new sprocket.

Picked this up for a decent price a couple weeks ago as a non-runner. Replaced a leaky flywheel side crank seal, fuel line and filter and a carb kit/rebuild...then it sat for a week. I tried givin it a test run yesterday but the bastard wouldn't start so it got discarded on the garage floor at an accelerated rate and I test ran an 046 instead. Woke up this morning and realized that the dumbass who rebuilt the carb left the adjustment screws completely closed off. Fast forward to tonight, set the carb screws to 1 and 1 and it was off to the races. Heated handles work too. I've been tryin to pimp the damn thing to sawmikaze but that **** won't bite...some ******** about 261's runnin better...I dunno...I think that guys kind of a slow poke.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hahaha. Yea Nothing broke. I was gonna call that guy you work with on Monday and see if he's interested but you can have dibs if you want it. I got another one in a box to put together anyways. I'll bring it to the shop.

Finally had some time to play with saws. Messed with the Stihl 070 that has been in limbo for 6 months. Got it running and cut a few cookies but I have to test it in something bigger than 12" to know if I've solved the problem. I also disassembled a Stihl 020AV for parts. It was 35% JB Weld and I finally took a hammer to it. Yup, it's apart now...
Then I parted out a Stihl 034. It didn't have any plastics on it at all and I had to do some investigation to know what model it was.
This evening I've been listing the 020AV parts on eBay. Been selling off the MS200T parts for the last couple weeks. Ship something out about every day. It's time consuming but I've been enjoying it thus far. May be a short lived adventure...
I thought about unwrapping one of the MS660's but ran out of day before I got that far...

[/QUOTE).

Having issues with this saw, after a few cuts of runnin almost perfect it will just bog down in the middle of the cut and die.
I thought it was partly because of a leaky decomp but I replaced that with a plug so that's out. I had my high screw out to 2-1/4 turns, so I drilled the main jet... Slightly. Now I'm at 2 turns out and the same issue of bogging and dieing after it really warms up.

Any suggestions? Did I maybe advance timing to far? At slightly over half the key.

Its so clean!

I like to get them as clean as I can before I tear 'em apart. Here's the piston of that saw....

IMG_20150405_170414-M.jpg

Obviously, something got hammered but good in there.

Whatever it was, the transfer port digested it....slight gouging. Bummer.

IMG_20150405_175412-M.jpg

IMG_20150405_175444-M.jpg

I need to see what I can do with that jug. Luckily, I have spare OEM 385XP cylinder, and this one with a little attention to the ports...

IMG_20150402_162459-M.jpg

IMG_20150402_162423-M.jpg

IMG_20150402_162515-M.jpg

I need to take a close look at the bottom end and the crank bearings to see if I can find whatever donated the piece that went up and out. That will be tomorrow night's adventure. Happy Easter!

Answered an ad today that had 50 chainsaws and weedeaters for $100. You know how it goes, if it sounds too good to be true.....turns out it was 2 really junky chainsaws and a bunch of partial weedeaters and blowers. It didn't take long to make up my mind about that. Oh, well, at least I didn't have to drive but 3 or 4 miles.

Latest posts

Back