Backpack Blower? Power Broom? Better than Raking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the backpack blower very early on and felt that it paid for itself the first week I used it. Nothing special, just the biggest Echo that Home Cheapo had to offer.

I never used a power broom. But here is a video I recently did, showing why I do use a backpack blower.

Must time we rough rake the larger debris by hand (or use the BMG rake). But I wanted to show what the blower can do.

I never used a power broom. But here is a video I recently did, showing why I do use a backpack blower.

Must time we rough rake the larger debris by hand (or use the BMG rake). But I wanted to show what the blower can do.

That blower worked good but we would of had that racked up and in the truck or on the tarp in half the time.

^ They're great for the very end of the job. Fine detailing. If I saw one of my guys spending that much time blowing I'd be upset.

That blower worked good but we would of had that racked up and in the truck or on the tarp in half the time.

As I said, typically we don't use the blower for bigger stuff like this...more used to get all the fine stuff. I was just showing what is could do...not what is actually fully practical. Typically what happens, is the blower is grabbed to blow in the edges (out laying small debris). Then rough rake into piles for hand carry/bucket/bagster. Then blow all the saw dust and fine twigs.

The blower does do a better final clean up than a rake...especially if using an metal rake. After a rough rake, I think it is faster to just use the blower for all the small/fine stuff in one shot.

I doubt as one guy, you would have raked, loaded, and fully cleaned the entire area that I blew off in that much less time. (not just the short clip I shown...this debris was from 3 trees in about an 100' area of long grass)

^ They're great for the very end of the job. Fine detailing. If I saw one of my guys spending that much time blowing I'd be upset.

I agree...but I am the owner. And my climber was busying deadwooding another tree, that didn't need lowering, so I was playing.

I'm glad someone posted this. People I had worked for never used big blowers I had no idea they could blow sticks out of grass. I need to get one this week. Make the end of my days easier.

So, no one uses a power rake? Anyone use anything else? No one converted a lawn sweeper or something?:)

There is always this option.

But you will still have to rake some...and it does a good job of de-thatching the grass too. I have it, and do use it some (actually used it some on the job from my video above). Works the best on pavement, but will push the worse of the debris together on grass too. You just have to be careful when and where you use it...like any other tool.

PS- if you google search "power broom stump youtube" there is a video of a guy using one for stump grinding clean up.

Why limit yourself? A backpack blower uses one hand. Fill your other hand with a handheld blower and see an immense change in efficiency.

The only people I have trained on this that don't prefer two blowers are the lazy slackers that think of the blower as their relaxation period.
??? Why backpack and handheld? One backpack on the back, one on the front...have never tried it with blowers, but did it with packs years ago more than once when hiking out an injured backpacker.

Sometimes i double my big leaf rake up one on top of the other and bust ass raking getting most of the twigs. Then have a guy blowing right behind me makes pretty quick time. It all depends how hard a guy wants to work seems like.

We had a guy at the company I used to work for that would always grab the blower, like WAY too early. He would be blowing sawdust out from under your saw. We called him "Wind Song" but he was a hell of an equipment op. so the higher ups kept him around.

I actually just bought a small blower (BG55) for clearing out rock beds and other mulched areas. A weak hand held works great for walking through and getting the leaves out but not 1 inch river rock.

We had a guy at the company I used to work for that would always grab the blower, like WAY too early. He would be blowing sawdust out from under your saw. We called him "Wind Song" but he was a hell of an equipment op. so the higher ups kept him around.
I had a guy we called Sure Foot. Guess how he got that name.

So, no one uses a power rake? Anyone use anything else? No one converted a lawn sweeper or something?:)

Yes. I have a sweeper broom on a 2-wheel tractor and a sweeper bucket for my bobcat. They are both awesome for cleaning up twigs, particularly on stuff like dead pines that shatter into tiny pieces.

Unfortunately, there just aren't too many places where it is practical to tote the extra equipment along. If the area is big enough to need them, it can be well worth your time to bring them along. Unfortunately, unless you do that kind of work all the time, it wouldn't pay to buy one for tree work.

I use a power broom on stump grindings. Rubber paddles work great.
For regular tree cleanup we rake up using "groundskeeper" rakes https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1858#
They are awesome. Load debris into Rubbermaid garbage pails to move forward into chip truck.
We finish with a backpack blower usually leaving the place cleaner than when we got there. Customers are always impressed which leads to a very high referral rate.
The customer may not remember how efficiently you got the tree down, but they will most certainly remember what you left behind.

Back