bar and chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm going to chime in and probably get banned from AS
i use used motor oil from stand by generators the stuff probably has max 20 hours of exercise time. and i get the stuff by the GALLONS. like tomorrow i'll be down in San Fransisco changing out about 10 gallons. also the biggest bar i have is 28"

Yeah, about smelling gear oil, but this stuff doesn't seem to stink. They use it in some printing press gear boxes for about 5 months and then replace it. I photo'd the label but can't find it right now. It is some high dollar stuff. Royal Purple makes some just like it.

To those that run expensive oils ..... I really don't care, its just that it isn't going to do a hill of beans worth of good. Cheap Bar Oil is so much cheaper that you can afford to buy new bars and chains with the money you save, the economy is quite plain to see, due to the rather expensive nature of the higher brands and the relatively low life expectancy of the bars and chains, even under ideal conditions.

My point is, under less than ideal conditions using crappy bar oil, the bars and chains last as long or similiarly enough that the cost of the expensive bar oil is not justified in the least .......... not even close.

My opinion and findings,

Sam

Been running some of the Itasca it seems like good oil and only $6.98 at the the local Grocery store. The worst oil I ever ran was Ace hardware brand the bar would start smoking while running it.

I have to agree with Sam. I go through a gallon in a couple of days easy. I can save about 5 bucks per gallon on the cheaper stuff I use and it seems to be about as good as the Stihl brand oil. Itasca is what I use and I can get it for 8 bucks per gallon. If there were any cheaper that was closer then I'd use it instead but I get this about a mile from the house.

By the time a month rolls around, I've saved prolly 60-75 bucks on bar oil alone. Just in a month. That'll buy me a brand new bar and chain almost. The thing is, my bar is still as good as it was when new and has hundreds of tanks on it. I've never even have to true the rails yet. Thats saying something about Tsumura bars, and also that bar oil brands doesnt mean much, IMO anyways. Now I don't like to run used oil because I hate the smell and nastiness it leaves behind, but I will if it's all I've got at the time.

The last few years i've used more of the tsc than anything but i cut it with clean atf in the winter and cheap syn hypoid oil in the summer just to strech it. Now that i'm retired and don't have free acess to the atf, hypoid and motor oil it may just be whats cheapest and closest from now on. The last itasca i found was about 5 years ago for 4 bucks a gallon, wish i had bought all they had but hindsight is 20-20.

The last few years i've used more of the tsc than anything but i cut it with clean atf in the winter and cheap syn hypoid oil in the summer just to strech it. Now that i'm retired and don't have free acess to the atf, hypoid and motor oil it may just be whats cheapest and closest from now on. The last itasca i found was about 5 years ago for 4 bucks a gallon, wish i had bought all they had but hindsight is 20-20.

I keep seeing TSC what is that?

Lord have mercy! :msp_ohmy: Whats that stuff run per gallon?

Another question, can you chip the gold nuggets off the cutters when youre done cutting? :laugh:

Of course i can chip gold after i get enough i sell it thats how i get more oil. No really our boss thinks the synthetic oil is better on the long bars so he buys Amsoil for them and all the other saws we use Echo oil. I dont buy it so i have no idea what it costs a gallon but we get it in 55 gallon drums so i help myself to it. Why use the cheap stuff?

Man, that's right about fifteen bucks a gallon. Tell your boss he's getting severely ripped off.

He's not getting ripped off, the oil might very well be the best ........ its that he doesn't really need to use the very best, but thats not a rip off.

There is nothing wrong with a company taking the time and effort to provide the very best and charge for it. That price of $15 per gallon is compariable to what some people pay for Stihl bar oil. I have found that Stihl bar oil is the very best that I have ever used, the thing is, I don't see much if any additional bar life when using it, at least not to justify the cost difference, but I would never deny its a very good oil, and it should be more expensive than a cheaper made oil, but after this last price increase of theirs (Stihl's), I just can't justify paying that much more, as it is a little over $10 per gallon for me.

Sam

I've been running used helicopter transmission oil for the last 7 years or so, and have noticed no difference between that and high $$ b&c oil. The oil is a mix of arroshell 80(40w) and Anderol 486 synthetic gear oil(90w). It flows well in cold temps(Ore coast range) and stays sufficiently thick in summer months. Clean used oil is no prob IMO, as long as it isn't full of chunks and still has good lubricity.

I've been running used helicopter transmission oil for the last 7 years or so, and have noticed no difference between that and high $$ b&c oil. The oil is a mix of arroshell 80(40w) and Anderol 486 synthetic gear oil(90w). It flows well in cold temps(Ore coast range) and stays sufficiently thick in summer months. Clean used oil is no prob IMO, as long as it isn't full of chunks and still has good lubricity.

How many hours does that oil have on it when you change it? What kind of helicopters you guys run?

Back