bar ,chain and sprocket recomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshnnh

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking to outfit a few saws with new bar , chain and sprockets. The saws are 2100 cd, a 288xp, a 272xp. I liked the price tag on carlton bars. Are they a quality bar? I'm not a pro by a long shot. Just a new collecter. Should I spring for the stihl bars? I am thinking a 20" for the 272. A 24 or 28" for the 288 and a 32" with full skip for the 2100. The two bigger saws will only be used time to time for fun. But want them to be dressed nicely for the display shelf. As for sprockets, what would be the best ones for these saws. Best speed and torque? Thanks for any suggestions

7 pins on the 272 and 288. 8 pin on the 2100. Terry is doing a group buy on Cannon bars and they look real good on huskies.

Sweet. Thank you. Again the two biger saws are mostly for show but I do take them out occasionally.I have a 455 with a 18" that I use around the home and it serves all my needsasfar asthat goes.and the addition of the 272 takes care of my bigger tasks.I have no experiance with stihl bars or chains but hear rave reviews on them. All of the saw have had the mufflers done. And the 2100 has been mildly ported and highly polished. I'll be the 288 and 272 arenew to me and have aftermarket p/c's. Judging by the workmanship onthe rest of the saws I will guessthe cylinders have not had casting defects removedso I will be operating on them soon if it will help with there bas capacity's. I just want them to have good bar and cjains so I can pull them off the shelf and cut without worrying about anyhting.and I want them to look awesome on the shelf. Ibreak them down and degrease and clean then entkre saw aftereach use. I will likely paint the bars black for appearance. While stihl makes the best bars and chains supposedly , they still say stihl and I can't have that

Sorry for the spelling . I'm using a nuk tab,et and my typing isclearly horrible on this thing.

Those cannon bars are a deal at 20% off. Tsumura makes great bars also. Just depends on your wallet.

sounds like you wont be cutting enough to worry about wear on the bar and I think thats the reason people put stihls on the husky's. for looks get one of those chrome looking ones, dont remember which ones they are though, not a big show kind of guy.

I do like to keep them "show" quality. I put a lot of work into restoring them. Some guys do cars. I do saws. But I do also like to use them. And if I can get a bar at will last a lifetime at my rate of use , its worth the money. One and done.Are these chrome looking ones sugihara by chance. I HAve seen chromy looking sugi bars. There is an australian make too but I forget the name

Tsumura and Total Super bars are shiny too but they aren't just for looks, they're made from high quality steel and will out last most bars made. The Aussie bars are GB.

Gb that's it.thank you. I'm not strictly iterested in looks. Function isvery important. Ijust like them to be clean andlooking good when they arenot being used. I very proud of my sawsandthe woek ihavedonetothem. Maybe its just because eimpretty newto collectingsaws.

Looking to outfit a few saws with new bar , chain and sprockets. The saws are 2100 cd, a 288xp, a 272xp. I liked the price tag on carlton bars. Are they a quality bar?

Carlton doesn't make any bars themselves, and the different models often come from different sourses. Some even are the excellent Tsumura/Total bars, and by now a lot is Windsor. The Speed-Tip also has a good reputation.

This is as far as I know, about their current bars - but I would not be surprised if we see rebadged Oregon stuff in the Calton line-up at some point. Oregon, Carlton and Windsor share the same owner, and Oregon obviously are "big Brother".....

Carlton doesn't make any bars themselves, and the different models often come from different sourses. Some even are the excellent Tsumura/Total bars, and by now a lot is Windsor. The Speed-Tip also has a good reputation.

This is as far as I know, about their current bars - but I would not be surprised if we see rebadged Oregon stuff in the Calton line-up at some point. Oregon, Carlton and Windsor share the same owner, and Oregon obviously are "big Brother".....

Carlton change bar suppliers more than their underwear. They've had unknown German made bars, rebadged Oregon Power Match Plus bars, rebadged Tsumuras, and now rebadged Windsor Speed Tips. All in the last 4-5 years too.

Back