Bar oil alternatives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilge Rat LT 20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Don't start moaning!

Some of the northern brothers use canola, down south we have more peanuts than canola.
Will peanut oil work for bar oil?

We use peanut oil for frying fish, could i filter it then use it for bar oil?
Cutting wood smelling fried sea trout would be nice.

To meet the demand for more peanut oil i would have to fish more too!

Use the peanut oil and check things out and see how it compares. l use filtered canola in over ten work saws with great results. Dont have to stress when working over ponds/waterways, does'nt bother me when l spill it on my leather gloves or get it on my hands. After nearly three years of using canola l would never go back to petrolium stuff but the brands pushing petrolium products may not agree with my statement. Give it a go.....it may well do the job better in MANY ways. Remember we are talking about lubricating a bar and chain here not a cylinder doing 14k.

Almost anything that's an oil will work as bar lube. Just about any petroleum product plus many of the food oils will all work. The biggest advantage of the commercial bar oils is that they have added "tackifiers" Some brands of oil are tackier than others and I find the brands that are and mix it with motor oil. TSC oil is really sticky and a brand I came across recently called Logger's Pride or something like that is sticky as well. Even oils without tackifiers work fine, just not as well perhaps. I don't recommend used motor oil in newer saws (or at all). It can work but is messy and also has nasty stuff in it that isn't good to expose yourself to.
Canola oil isn't cheap around here but I wouldn't be afraid to mix it in with what I use. The deep fat oil is probably fine but make sure it isn't contaminated with salt. (corrosive)

I'm going to keep using store bought bar lube for everything except for the boat saw.
I have a free Poulan 2450 that i use for cutting limbs out of the way in the saltwater creeks that i fish.
The limbs scratch the boat.
Peanut oil would do for that saw, saltwater is gonna kill the saw anyway.

I was really just trying to justify fishing more!

Used fish oil with honey for a tackifier. Haha. Come on out here to bear country. We'll make a quick video. I can sit in another tree and you be the star.

I like to use Amsoil bar lube. It adheres to the chain, all other oils are useless and damage the bar and chain. The only drawback is the price at 75$ a quart, but look at all the B&c's you'll save.

I live in AZ. Every time that I go out and try to cut in an area that I cleared to get into so that I can keep my family warm, all the wood is gone and burrito wrappers are everywhere!:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back