bar oiling???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych038

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
is there a way to bench test the oiler on a saw. i have a 038 stihl and am not sure if it is oiling ENOUGH. it is oiling though.

I usually run my saw with the tip of the bar near to a piece of cardboard, or a fresh cut stump or paper or what ever and look for a spray of bar oil.

That and keeping the chain groove clean usually works for me. If the chain doesn't look all dried out and the bar doesn't seem to be "Hot" then you are probably OK>

Also, the oil & gas tank are pretty well sized, I like to run out at aprox. the same time, but will at times fine tune from here to wood conditions - Dry, Green, Hard, Soft.

The 038 is specified to deliver 7 - 19 millilitres per minute. You could fill the oil tank and run it WOT for 5 minutes and measure how much oil is needed to top up the tank. In practice what really matters is the conditions you are cutting under and so a field test is far more important than a bench test. I agree with MR that starting with full tanks of oil and fuel there should still be some oil left after using all the fuel. The chain drivers should also have clear evidence of oil on them when you pull the chain off the bar.

being ever paranoid, i alway short fill my fuel tank so that i run out of gas before my oil tank is dry. i also run my oilers on full flow so im getting the most possible oil.....

yes the oil and fuel run down pretty equally this is why i doubted that it wasnt oiling. prob might have something to do with a non roller bar that i borrowed or my poulan 6 dollar a gallon oil. maybe not such a bargain. what is everyones preference on oil? i've heard husky oil is very sticky.

Latest posts

Back