Battering ram wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAGUS WYSONG

Reaction score
Had to cut down a couple of huge oak trees and cleared out several other trees, probably seven or eight cords worth. Don't want to buy a log splitter. I wonder if a heavy log with a wedge mounted on the end would work against another log with the piece to be split in between. I have more time than money and probably have something laying around to make a wedge. If I do it, I'll post some pictures. Has anyone else tried something like this?

It would cost me 75 dollars to rent a hydraulic splitter.

I have a 34 ton wood splitter.

And it moans and groans sometimes when splitting oak.

And that is the weight of about 13 pick-up trucks placing pressure on that 8 inch metal wedge to split the wood!

Perhaps you could advertise in craigs list or somewhere and make a deal with someone, that if they split part of the wood for you, they get the rest?

Had to cut down a couple of huge oak trees and cleared out several other trees, probably seven or eight cords worth. Don't want to buy a log splitter. I wonder if a heavy log with a wedge mounted on the end would work against another log with the piece to be split in between. I have more time than money and probably have something laying around to make a wedge. If I do it, I'll post some pictures. Has anyone else tried something like this?

It would cost me 75 dollars to rent a hydraulic splitter.

How do you plan on powering your battering ram? Where are you going to get your force?

I'd like to hear more about your idea before I say "get a log splitter..." ;)

How do you plan on powering your battering ram? Where are you going to get your force?

I'd like to hear more about your idea before I say "get a log splitter..." ;)

The Romans had battering rams that knocked down fortress doors and walls, they swung back and forth cradled on ropes like a swing. It occured to me that some people use a wedge with a handle on it that weighs about 8 lb. If you put a wedge on the end of a small log that weighs a couple of hundred lb cradled like the Romans battering ram and for the anvil another large log with the wood to be split in between. Then by hand the cradled ram is pulled back and then helped forward and let the kinnetic energy of the ram split the wood. It works good in my head but I suppose someone would already have something like that. Probably not a good idea from somebody that has no experience. I think I like the superglue idea too!

Hmmm....

Sounds to me like you will invest alot of time into your battering ram idea, and it may not work. Also sounds like there is great potential for personal injury during this process. Your math and mechanics are based on sound logic, but the actuallity of being able to build a battering ram, and then actually being able to split wood effectively with it, seems to be slim to none to me.

Also, how do you plan to stabilize the piece you are attempting to split? If the pice being split is not anchored in some way, all of that force will be transfered into motion,. turning your piece of blockwood (the round to be split) into a projectile rather than firewood.

I think it would be way cool if you could actually make it work, but I am certain that the more efficient thing to do would be to rent the splitter. Especially if you want to split 8 cords of oak. Or, you could get an 8 lb. maul and peck away at it, if you have more time than money, as you have stated. Plus as a bonus you get a GREAT workout.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out. If you actually build this contraption, please post pics!:cheers:

and if there is a commercial grade splitter for rent,i would get that one,itll probably be a couple hundred a day?it will be well worth it though,maybe see if the neighbor will split the cost with you?

Use a maul and use the experience for personal introspection. Powerful experience, time well spent. 8 cords no big deal if theres only eight, i.e light at the end of the tunnel. Just skip the awful pieces. Not worth the effort... they won't split anyhow.... unless

Use a maul and use the experience for personal introspection. Powerful experience, time well spent. 8 cords no big deal if theres only eight, i.e light at the end of the tunnel. Just skip the awful pieces. Not worth the effort... they won't split anyhow.... unless

unless... you get that battering ram working. Maybe you could load your truck with a trebuchet...

just messin with ya:greenchainsaw:

Haha, I guess we were kinda on the same page then... I was envisioning a big A-frame, trebuchet-looking contraption with a log swinging from a pair of ropes with a wedge stuck on one end :givebeer:

I'd keep an eye on craigslist, were it me in your situation... there always seems to be splitters on there for sale. Always use the right tool for the job...:clap:

I really like the way you're thinking Dagus. Keep up the creativity, and best of luck, our best wishes are with you, at least mine are.

Split saw the tough ones

I,ve used my saw to split an awefull lot of fire wood , 50 cord or more .......If you lay the piece down you will pull long noodles ,if you stand it up , mostly fine saw dust .. I havn,t used a steel splitting wedge in maybe 20 years maybe longer , and I sell firewood for a living quite often ............I don,t even own a splitting maul , but rather use a 5 lb rafting ax , usually with a 32 or 36" handle ............ I grew up sometimes having to split Elm ....That will make you repent of splitting wood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.Use a chain saw with a sharp ,not too hungry chain !!!
It,s alot faster in the long run than you think ..EASIER ALSO !!!!!!!

I,ve used my saw to split an awefull lot of fire wood , 50 cord or more .......If you lay the piece down you will pull long noodles ,if you stand it up , mostly fine saw dust .. I havn,t used a steel splitting wedge in maybe 20 years maybe longer , and I sell firewood for a living quite often ............I don,t even own a splitting maul , but rather use a 5 lb rafting ax , usually with a 32 or 36" handle ............ I grew up sometimes having to split Elm ....That will make you repent of splitting wood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.Use a chain saw with a sharp ,not too hungry chain !!!
It,s alot faster in the long run than you think ..EASIER ALSO !!!!!!!

What is your proceedure? Do you make a shallow cut and then use the axe as a wedge?

No , just saw all the way thru ......The noodles will plug up in the clutch cover so you will need to pull them out sometimes .. And you need to keep the rrrrssss up while in the cut , not screamin ,but usually , not dogged in either ........ .. You will get a fair amount of sawdust or noodles ... I use it for bedding in dog houses ................. I saw a good size round in half , lay the flats down side by side , and thats the cradle for some more ............ I mainly use the saw for the tough ones .. and usually use the flip split method with the ax .............

So, I had a dream last night (I know, I am not :censored: right in the head) about this concept. I was thinking, a better way to do this, is this: Rather than mount the wedge on the ram, have the wedge stationary on a platform or the like (see pic)
batteringram.gif

Have a set of rails, in which an impact plate is mounted, like railcar on tracks. Place the blockwood (round) between the impact plate and the wedge, and use the kinetic energy of the ram to force the impact plate into the blockwood, and force the blockwood through the wedge.

I dont know why I am thinking about this stuff in the middle of the night...

Last edited:
you gotta swing that ram, thats the difficult part... pull it back with a rope or winch or truck or endentured servants... whatever you got... put a quick release on it and let it go...

I havent dreamed that part up yet, and I have no intention of actually building this thing, I leave that to the OP.

Last edited:
So, I had a dream last night (I know, I am not :censored: right in the head) about this concept. I was thinking, a better way to do this, is this: Rather than mount the wedge on the ram, have the wedge stationary on a platform or the like (see pic)
batteringram.gif

Have a set of rails, in which an impact plate is mounted, like railcar on tracks. Place the blockwood (round) between the impact plate and the wedge, and use the kinetic energy of the ram to force the impact plate into the blockwood, and force the blockwood through the wedge.

I dont know why I am thinking about this stuff in the middle of the night...

nice blueprint, no reason that wouldnt work,get some pulleys and 3 or four haulbacks should be plenty for one man to operate the hammer

Latest posts

Back