Battering ram wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I had a dream last night (I know, I am not :censored: right in the head) about this concept. I was thinking, a better way to do this, is this: Rather than mount the wedge on the ram, have the wedge stationary on a platform or the like (see pic)
batteringram.gif

Have a set of rails, in which an impact plate is mounted, like railcar on tracks. Place the blockwood (round) between the impact plate and the wedge, and use the kinetic energy of the ram to force the impact plate into the blockwood, and force the blockwood through the wedge.

I dont know why I am thinking about this stuff in the middle of the night...

I Like this thing! Maybe you could rent the guys from the Capital One card advertisements to swing the ram. Or power it like a spud drill with a Mad Max type car. Heck just mount the ram on a Mad Max car and go for it.

Or you just rent the splitter.

Wait, how about powering The Thing like a diesel pile driver? That could work.

Ever see one of those "worm" spitters, I think that's the name, bolts on the rear wheel of a pickup.Then you push the block against it and run. sounds a little too dangerous. I haven't seen one work just seen the ads. I like the idea of laying two or three blocks end to end against a huge rock or tree and welding a wedge on rear bump put her in reverse, split several at a time.

Things like a battering ram worked back in the dark ages, it was the best they could come up with [lacking C-4, etc] to open an un-willing castle door. I'm sure many people were maimed or killed when they couldn't get a hand or body out of the way fast enough. The time & money put into this ram adventure would build a nice, safe hydraulic splitter that'll split anything you have. There's a reason stuff like this became obsolete.

Things like a battering ram worked back in the dark ages, it was the best they could come up with [lacking C-4, etc] to open an un-willing castle door. I'm sure many people were maimed or killed when they couldn't get a hand or body out of the way fast enough. The time & money put into this ram adventure would build a nice, safe hydraulic splitter that'll split anything you have. There's a reason stuff like this became obsolete.

Heretic!

Pitman Arm splitter .

.... They were very popular in Maine . Ran by the flywheel on a farm tractor with a 6 or 8" wide belt . Once it was level and the tractor was level , so the belt would stay on it was the most productive wood splitter ever invented , asside from a shake splitter . Which I,m suprised one of you west coast guys hasn,t posted a pic of .......

.... They were very popular in Maine . Ran by the flywheel on a farm tractor with a 6 or 8" wide belt . Once it was level and the tractor was level , so the belt would stay on it was the most productive wood splitter ever invented , asside from a shake splitter . Which I,m suprised one of you west coast guys hasn,t posted a pic of .......

I think there is some good Youtube video of one of those running.

You guys are forgetting about the old screw splitters that bolted onto the axle of a pick up.

:clap:
Unless it's gnarley white oak, most of it splits pretty nice - A few wedges & a maul, once cooler weather comes have at it - Now a twisted up hard maple on the other hand, get the best splitter you can.

:agree2: In Canada I have seen 5 hp splitters for 900 dollars. Once you get one your body will definately thank you. Plus their more productive.

Thanks for the kudos on the drawing... a lil more jim beam and I will master all of the intracacies of his beast...

T

Outstanding!

While directing your indentured servants you could wave a mace around and yell about the dogs of war, get a mastiff and wear a metal helmet.

If the neighbors come over to see what you are doing you can pour hot oil on them from the parapet!

I thought about this one time

I seen a homemade log splitter that used gravity basicly it was like those hammer games you see at the fair but how it worked was a small motor hoisted a weight with an edge on it up as high as you desired and you would realease the weight and it would fall and slide down the edge of the I beam and split the wood more or less a gilotean like device

the splitter i saw on youtube was like maybe a ten foot diameter waterweel with an axehead on like every third paddle,dont know what it was powered by,but man it sure looked dangerous,fast,but dangerous

I was trolling thru the you tube log splitter vids , and there were 2 that were on wheels . as in they had a wedge welded (?) to a wheel , one was about 6 or 8 feet diameter wheel but it only had 1 wedge on it that I could see .... The other , the wheel was about 3 ft diameter and had 1 wedge on it .. Tho they worked I like the Pitman arm splitters better ..... With the wheel splitters , If the block didn,t split it would stop the wheel and the round of wood had to be tugged and jerked out from under the force of the wheel pushing against it ............. With the Pitman arm . if a round doesn,t split and rides up with the wedge you just slide a piece of wood under it and pop the round is split ...... You just need to keep your body parts out of the way .......... Sure beats waiting around for a hydraulic ram to extend ....

I was trolling thru the you tube log splitter vids , and there were 2 that were on wheels . as in they had a wedge welded (?) to a wheel , one was about 6 or 8 feet diameter wheel but it only had 1 wedge on it that I could see .... The other , the wheel was about 3 ft diameter and had 1 wedge on it .. Tho they worked I like the Pitman arm splitters better ..... With the wheel splitters , If the block didn,t split it would stop the wheel and the round of wood had to be tugged and jerked out from under the force of the wheel pushing against it ............. With the Pitman arm . if a round doesn,t split and rides up with the wedge you just slide a piece of wood under it and pop the round is split ...... You just need to keep your body parts out of the way .......... Sure beats waiting around for a hydraulic ram to extend ....
wasnt sure on the diameter,or how many splitting heads were on it,been awhile since i have seen it,i am new to "old school" wood splittin,just a 33 yr.old,hydraulic vet.,i do however remember somewhere in the back of my mind thinking wow any second now this guy is gonna pull back his bloody stump!so of course i am guilty of watching the car crash that never happened,im gonna look a little harder for that vid,without gasoline or oil we could all be musclin it!lets hope that doesnt occur,hydraulics kick ars:chainsaw:

Bullbuck ; don,t you run a powersaw for a living .???do you put your foot out and buck it off once a day or so ...... ????? do you muckle ahold of the bar with your lunch hooks when you have the chain spinning and the saw doin 13,000 rpm ???????????????????????? Why in the world would you put a body part in the way of a splitter ???? Safe as bein in church !!!!!Actually thats not to safe depending on the church ...Safer than bein in church ,, there ya go !!!!!.. If you needed to split wood @ 40 or 50 below , or even 30 below you would appreciate not having hydraulics ...

Latest posts

Back