Battering ram wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bullbuck ; don,t you run a powersaw for a living .???do you put your foot out and buck it off once a day or so ...... ????? do you muckle ahold of the bar with your lunch hooks when you have the chain spinning and the saw doin 13,000 rpm ???????????????????????? Why in the world would you put a body part in the way of a splitter ???? Safe as bein in church !!!!!Actually thats not to safe depending on the church ...Safer than bein in church ,, there ya go !!!!!.. If you needed to split wood @ 40 or 50 below , or even 30 below you would appreciate not having hydraulics ...

fair enough,yes i do run a saw and i like high chainspeed and have been told by people that i can roundfile plenty good,you have to be alert at all times!i have been in some pretty sketchy scenarios over the years,i think thats the addiction,and yes there are some churches you could fart in that would be more dangerous than barberchairing a three foot spruce lol, i logged in an area in northern n.m. that it got to 20 below one night,and was damn cold every other night,diesel was uselees till noon or so,even the bar oil that we kept in the camper would barely pour in the morning,nothing like ak.though

I may have to get a hyd.splitter . , but I don,t want to .. I would rather get a welder and start scrounging up steel , and mill up some 6x6 x 8 to make the timber frame . If I could find about a 1 foot long piece of pipeline pipe that was new , , that would make the drive wheel for the pitman arm ........ A 3 foot long hydraulic ram would work for the splitter arm or pitman arm . Drive shaft from an old truck would make the drive shaft ....... I bet it could be run with a 3 hp Briggs and Straton , ect engine ........

big maul

get a 12LB "monster maul" cut and split this winter when everything is frozen
the oak will just fall apart when it sees that big sucker coming down on it
just make sure the wood and ground is frozen

just reread your first post...
if the trees haven't been bucked up yet leave them until winter then cut them to firewood size. you want the moisture in the wood so that it can freeze and they will just pop open with the maul
I used to fell and buck on saturdays, split on sunday
doing it frozen you will be surprized how fast you can go down a truck of a tree

Funny... I was wondering the same, as OP was questioning. I was looking up formulas to calculate the forces when this post happened to appear.

I love splitting wood by hand, great for body and soul... But I also want to split with something utterly rediculous...

Also, Fun other ideas:
Trebuchet Splitter
Teeter-Totter Splitter
Bolt-Cutter Splitter
Pile-Driver Splitter

C'mon guys 6 years and created one of these excentic toys... LOL

Latest posts

Back