beating a dead horse 441 vs ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh...........yeah..........OK............time to put down the bottle!!!

Ain't even winter yet and the nuts are already here!!!

uh care to elaborate?!?!
im just going based on what my roomate tells me and he runs the 440 and 441 all day long carving logs and those saws are at constant WOT under half load due to just carving lateral grooves and notches.
i have no idea why you feel the need to attack my reply like that with out giving any reason why, i find it weird that someone with so much rep is posting such a vaigue reply??

Ok guy's this is an honest question.
For the second year in a row our Stihl dealer brought up a couple of 441 magnums for the stock saw event in our local show. Last year I was definately not impressed with it. This year I was determined to take a serious look at them due to all the whoopla about them on AS. I hate to say it but I still was not impressed. I like the old 044, and the ms440, but these saws just couldn't compare.
Could it be that the stratocharged engines just don't do as well in higher elevation's as the older technology?
I have never ran a Husky 575 so I can't compare them, but at 8700' elevation I know the 441's just didn't seem to measure up power wise to the 044.

Andy

I'll attempt to 'splain this to you.

1. Last year, the 440 was the real deal. Much better feel and weight better than the 441. 'Course, at that time, most dealers had loads of 440s and no 441s.

2. This year, the 441 is the real deal. Much better power and fewer vibrations than the 440. 'Course, now most dealers have loads of 441s and no 440s.

Class dismissed,

Joat

Last edited:

1. Last year, the 440 was the real deal. Much better feel and weight better than the 441. 'Course, at that time, most dealers had loads of 440s and no 441s.

2. This year, the 441 is the real deal. Much better power and fewer vibrations than the 440. 'Course, now most dealers have loads of 441s and no 440s.

Class dismissed,

Joat

Add to that, the 440 and the 460 suddenly became heavier than before ("on paper") when the 441 came out........:blob2: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :computer2:

uh care to elaborate?!?!
im just going based on what my roomate tells me and he runs the 440 and 441 all day long carving logs and those saws are at constant WOT under half load due to just carving lateral grooves and notches.
i have no idea why you feel the need to attack my reply like that with out giving any reason why, i find it weird that someone with so much rep is posting such a vaigue reply??

I will elaborate.............saying the 440 is 10 times the saw that the 441 is just plain BS.

I am not alone in this opinion either!!!

Last edited:
One time, at band camp, I got to run a 441. It cut a lot better than my Echo CS-346.:jawdrop:

Of course, I haven't done any mods to the CS-346 yet!!:)

Last edited:
One time, at band camp, I got to run a 441. It cut a lot better than my Echo CS-346.:jawdrop:

Of course, I haven't done any mods to the CS-346 yet!!:)

Just gut the cat part out, those limiter caps are a pain too. Mine is 4 stroking at 12,800.....mean little limber:pumpkin2:

Just gut the cat part out, those limiter caps are a pain too. Mine is 4 stroking at 12,800.....mean little limber:pumpkin2:

Wow. I haven't done anything to it since it is my "just in case, ride around in the truck, and on the track loader" saw.

Just pull the muffler apart and run a screw in to pull the caps? Sounds pretty straight forward.

Wow. I haven't done anything to it since it is my "just in case, ride around in the truck, and on the track loader" saw.

Just pull the muffler apart and run a screw in to pull the caps? Sounds pretty straight forward.

I had to take the carb off to see how the caps came out but you could use a small screw.

You will have to use a dremel for the cat part because the muffler is a 1 peice. It took about 20 minutes, that metal is hard. I can post a pic if you want?

I had to take the carb off to see how the caps came out but you could use a small screw.

You will have to use a dremel for the cat part because the muffler is a 1 peice. It took about 20 minutes, that metal is hard. I can post a pic if you want?

If you don't have to go to a lot of trouble for the pic, sure. I don't have a dremel tool, so I probably won't be getting to the muffler mod real soon.

Class dismissed,

Joat

Wow, that was a short class. Let's review what I got out of it.

1. Last year, Stihl was screwing around with something to replace the 440, and just couldn't meet expectation's.

2. This year, they quit selling 440's so they wouldn't have to explaine why the 441 was not at least equal to them.

Is this what you were "attempting to splain" to me?
No kidding, I was honestly hoping there was some sort of trick to tuning this "new technologh" that would bring it to life at higher elevations.

Andy

my roomate runns a 440 and a 441 all day long building log homes. he hates the 441 and says the 440 is ten times the saw. the 441 is way harder to clean and when carvign logs your always cleaning out the saw. he runs these saws at constant WOT untill the gas runs out then fuels up and runs them again at WOT all day long. those saws get so hot you cant touch the plastic around the breake and muffler. the 440 is 6 years old and the 441 is 1 year old and you can feel the 440 has much better compression. it just seems that the 441 is not ergonomic or practical at all in comparison to the 440.
he is in the market for a new saw and is deffinatly going to go for the 372xp after using my 365 and 371.

Funny you should talk about running saws at WOT.

Now I will probaly get some Booooo's out of the stihl Heads, But I know a carver that like using Huskys because they run cooler and seem to last longer for carving.
Has your buddy used huskys before for log cabins ?

Wow, that was a short class. Let's review what I got out of it.

1. Last year, Stihl was screwing around with something to replace the 440, and just couldn't meet expectation's.

2. This year, they quit selling 440's so they wouldn't have to explaine why the 441 was not at least equal to them.

Is this what you were "attempting to splain" to me?
No kidding, I was honestly hoping there was some sort of trick to tuning this "new technologh" that would bring it to life at higher elevations.

Andy

Lets Just say Stihl is not like Husky or Burger KIng.....You can't have it your way. LOL If so Stihl would have the 440 out on the shelves right next to the 441.

Lets Just say Stihl is not like Husky or Burger KIng.....You can't have it your way. LOL If so Stihl would have the 440 out on the shelves right next to the 441.

Not totaly disagreeing with you, BUT...........

In all fairness, WHERES the 575?????

At least the 441 will run!!! (for a while at least:taped: )

Not totaly disagreeing with you, BUT...........

In all fairness, WHERES the 575?????

At least the 441 will run!!! (for a while at least:taped: )

Ask the Hensels how there 575's are doing. They will tell you they run GREAT.
Thats good enough for me. Beings they use them Daily.

I took the new 441 for it's first spin today. I ran through 5 tanks of fuel so the saw isn't near broken in yet so I won't comment on the power. The air filter stayed clean all day, a major factor there. The saw starts exteremly easy, easier than the 260 or 361, that is another plus. Even for a new saw I am really pleased about its throttle response, it spools up fast! The balance witha 20" hardnose bar was very good and I think it vibrates less, TO ME, than the 260. So far, so good.

Latest posts

Back