beating a dead horse 441 vs ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
my roomate runns a 440 and a 441 all day long building log homes. he hates the 441 and says the 440 is ten times the saw. the 441 is way harder to clean and when carvign logs your always cleaning out the saw. he runs these saws at constant WOT untill the gas runs out then fuels up and runs them again at WOT all day long. those saws get so hot you cant touch the plastic around the breake and muffler. the 440 is 6 years old and the 441 is 1 year old and you can feel the 440 has much better compression. it just seems that the 441 is not ergonomic or practical at all in comparison to the 440.
he is in the market for a new saw and is deffinatly going to go for the 372xp after using my 365 and 371.

I would really like to try out a 372. For the price they sound like a great deal. If my local dealers would have had one in stock, I might have bought that instead. Putting the two side beside and running them like Thall has would be a fun comparison.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
my roomate runns a 440 and a 441 all day long building log homes. he hates the 441 and says the 440 is ten times the saw. the 441 is way harder to clean and when carvign logs your always cleaning out the saw. he runs these saws at constant WOT untill the gas runs out then fuels up and runs them again at WOT all day long. those saws get so hot you cant touch the plastic around the breake and muffler. the 440 is 6 years old and the 441 is 1 year old and you can feel the 440 has much better compression. it just seems that the 441 is not ergonomic or practical at all in comparison to the 440.
he is in the market for a new saw and is deffinatly going to go for the 372xp after using my 365 and 371.

Man I had to get up on the roof after reading this one,LOL

peter399

peter399

ArboristSite Guru
:deadhorse:
ok i get it probably could have searched the topic but i dont know husky's at all.

Iam a sthil man for years and years and iam in the market for a bigger saw. 441 has my eye. Question is what is huskys counter part and is it better, worse, or same to own and maintain. Also how is it compared in cutting performance ? It will be used for alot of firewood 50 cords plus. Price and dealer location is playing a huge roll in my decision. The sthil dealer here is way off the charts in pricing...i get buy the saw cheap of other shows but come issue time its a rip off.

To return to the original question:

If you are teased by trying Husky or J-red: You can't pick a better saw than the 372 / 2171. If it's not THE best, it's definately one of the best saws Husky ever built. No saw is as well represented as gold medallist in the logging world championships and the saw has an extremely good reputation here. It's the best saw out there of the "good old generation" in the 70cc class before we enter the strato era. The 441 is a fine saw as well, I'm sure.

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!

Ahhh...........yeah..........OK............time to put down the bottle!!!

Ain't even winter yet and the nuts are already here!!!

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I was looking hard at the Husky 372xp when I bought my 441 a few weeks ago. From what research I have done, the 441 has more power, and is slightly lighter. However, the 372 lists from Baileys at 569$. I got my 441 for 749 minus the 290 trade in price. The reasons I got the 441 is Stihl dealer support in my area is wayyyy better and more plentiful than Husky, and nobody had a 372, and ordering would take a week. Trust me, the 441 Magnum is BADDDD, it just doesnt bog with the 20 inch bar mine has. I love it! :chainsawguy:

The 441 shows to be lighter than a 372. The 441 has not had any bad reviews on here either.......:cheers:

Conclusion: 441=good saw:givebeer:

You sure got that wrong;
The 441 and the 575 are the heavyweights in the 70cc class, the 372xp, 2171 and 440 + the Dolmars are quite a bit lighter, for the empty powerhead....

..then it depends on the add-ons......

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Good post there. Those two saws cut so close its not worth talking about. Weight wise the 372 is a tad liter but I think its also heavier than they advertise. I don't detect a pound differance between them but the 372 is liter by a tad, really hard to notice in the hand. Both saws are runners, thats for certain.

According to KWF testing, the real PHO differense with flush handlebars is .3kg, about 2/3 of a pound - both are a tad heavier than advertised, the Husky by most.....

sloth9669

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
info

Wow. Alot of info for just wanting to know what husky's 441 comp is. All great stuff...its more the price/dealer that is driving me to husky but i see they don't sell online anymore ? Anyone know if you can still call and order it at the cheap price they have at bailyes ? $570 for 372xp vs $685 plus tax for 441 (power head olny) Add about $60 or so on each and get 20'' bar and chain.

This new saw will be cutting 50 cords a year....am i at the right cc/weight class ? Yet to ever need more then a 20'' bar and its all hardwood.

Last edited:
joesawer

joesawer

Addicted to ArboristSite
I see it as a very awkward thing for Husky, that the 575 has rarely been mentioned in this comparison.
I see a lot of potential in stratocharged saws. Yes they weigh more but hve the potential to be much better performers. I have not had a chance to work on a 441, and the 575 has some pretty restrictive limitations. I hope that when the 372 is finally run its 9th life that Husky will give us an improved version of the 575.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Wow. Alot of info for just wanting to know what husky's 441 comp is. All great stuff...its more the price/dealer that is driving me to husky but i see they don't sell online anymore ? Anyone know if you can still call and order it at the cheap price they have at bailyes ? $570 for 372xp vs $685 plus tax for 441 (power head olny) Add about $60 or so on each and get 20'' bar and chain.

This new saw will be cutting 50 cords a year....am i at the right cc/weight class ? Yet to ever need more then a 20'' bar and its all hardwood.

I believe you are, 20" bars are ideal on 70cc saws, and you can use a longer one if you need it - but I would take a really hard look on the Dolmar PS7900, as there are no weight penalty for the added power, if that hardwood is hard.....lol. :)

Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
Troll, I know a lot of people think its heavy. Have you ran one? Im not trying to start a stink, just asking. If you have, what do you think of the power? By the way, how is that 346 treatin ya? I been thinkin about one of them when the wife cools down from the 441 purchase.

Last edited:
rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Troll, I know a lot of people think its heavy. Have you ran one? Im not trying to start a stink, just asking. If you have, what do you think of the power?

Although this question was not addressed to me.............I will say that I ran my 441 with 28" bar and full skip chain in real dead elm today. The 441 pulls the 28" bar just fine and I am quite pleased with the saw in stock form !

Having alot of modded saws one would think that a stock saw just wouldn't get it but this saw I really like!!!

Latest posts