Best 30cc Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the best 30cc chainsaw? I need something to small carry with me on my side by side to clear limbs or small logs blown across trails. My local dealer has a Stihl ms170 on sale for $159.o0. I like Stihl just wondering if there are any better options.

Ms180 and have them make sure the clutch and drum is on correctly when you buy it. I've seen clutch drum bearings missing. Maybe people steal them from the saw on the store shelf, I don't know.

I just bought a Dolmar PS 32 as a kid trainer/light limbing saw but haven't had a chance to run it yet. From what I've gleaned the Dolmar is going to be the best built saw in this class.

There's also the shindaiwa 305s for $199, but the 40cc 402s for $299 has my vote for a last second change of mind. Both professional grade models and they're back in the U.S. again.

Missing some info,

To the OP, not being a pain, just trying to help. What is your realistic budget, other than Stihl, what other brands / manufacturers are available in your area, and is an online purchase an option?

Provide these filters and you'll still get plenty of input, just more focused.

Take Care

As far as I can tell, all saws that small also are quite crappy. I doubt there is anything that deserves a "best" title....

That said, there are bound to be better options out there than the MS170 (isn't that a discontinued model btw)?

I've made a [disproportionate] number of posts singing the praises of my 31cc Echo cs310, particularly after a light tune and loop of VLX. Tough, cheap, light, plentiful, reliable. Only thing I can imagine trading it for would be a good deal on its 35cc twin brother, the cs352.

If so, go 353 for more power (.4 hp difference, that is quite a bit in that class) from what basically looks like the same design on the outside.

This one is easy. Echo cs 310 with a five year warranty for under $200. Or buy a rope for the small trees and use the side by side to pull them away from trail and a hand saw or hatchet for the limbs and save some money.

I find a light 32cc saw and a 12" bar with a larger diameter tip sprocket is great for brush and trail clearing. The short bar and wide tip don't leave enough slack for the chain to get off the bar, so it never throws a chain. That's important when you have to walk a ways back a trail and leave the fuel and tools back. This one will easily cut anything with the bar buried, although they're getting pretty old now and a newer saw would probably be a better choice.

IMG_1810-800.jpg

If ya get a Stihl make sure it has a three screw carburetor. I have replaced several to three screw after they wouldn't run. The replacement was around $25. How much $ would another screw add to the price?:(
And get some of that Stihl 63P chisel chain. It's gooooooooood stuff.

Ok thanks for all the responses! I have a currently have a shihl 026 which is in the shop now (would eventually love to replace for an MS261) and its a little to big to fit comfortable in my SxS. Ive been looking around a little more and am now considering the Sithl ms 211 for 279.00. Thinking of a little bigger saw more like a 35-40cc saw and would like to stay under or $300. I have a good Stihl dealer in my area, but would also consider and Ecco or Husqvarna being that I have good dealer for those also. I am also willing to buy online.

Ok thanks for all the responses! I have a currently have a shihl 026 which is in the shop now (would eventually love to replace for an MS261) and its a little to big to fit comfortable in my SxS. Ive been looking around a little more and am now considering the Sithl ms 211 for 279.00. Thinking of a little bigger saw more like a 35-40cc saw and would like to stay under or $300. I have a good Stihl dealer in my area, but would also consider and Ecco or Husqvarna being that I have good dealer for those also. I am also willing to buy online.

Ask @fordf150 about the Dolmar PS-35, he sells them.

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/chain_saws_gasoline/ps-35/

Back