Best 30cc Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS 170 pretty much nailed it IMO. I sells dozens of them every week and they seem to hold up really well. Light nimble and reliable. There was a youtube video where a guy ran a whole slew of little saws and the 170 came out on top. Dealer support is a big factor for many.

I think it's around 6 hundred. Pro saw.
Like I said you asked for the best without a price threshold.
Yea thats a little more than I want to spend. I would just go ahead and buy a 261. Thats a awesome little saw though!

I have a MS170 and I really like it. They are not worth buy used right now with them on sale. If you get one get them to put a 3/8 .050 bar with PS3 chains on it instead of the 3/8 043 bar. Myself and many other people have bent a cutter with the .043 chain. If you get a MS170 put a MS250 carb on it and mod the muffler and it will cut really good for its size.

I'm a little surprised the Dolmar faithful aren't all over this considering they actually have several excellent offerings in this range. If you asked about a 40cc-80cc saw they come out of the woodwork.

Not very familiar with this brand and no dealer support around here.

I strongly encourage you to do some research on the brand here. It is extremely well thought of and dealer support might be better than you think.

If you get one get them to put a 3/8 .050 bar with PS3 chains on it instead of the 3/8 043 bar. Myself and many other people have bent a cutter with the .043 chain.
I really like the Oregon 0.043" (90S) on my Husqvarna 142. I've never had any issues with it and it's fast - I'd prefer all my lo pro saws were 0.043", but the 0.050" is much more commonly available.

ps3.png
Picco PS3
62b585d95f1f4c968d8640d7cd649ff8.jpg
Picco PS

Stihl Picco PS reduced my cut times 30 percent over Oregon 3/8 low profile. The saw was a Redmax3800.
It made me go WOW. My local dealer ordered a roll of Picco PS and received it in three days. 56 drive links cost me $21.50

I'm sure it's a little faster when it's sharp, but I prefer semi chisel for the cutting I do. And I'm done ordering chain and paying shipping charges if I can at all avoid it. That leaves Oregon and TriLink, and sometimes Carlton, all of which work fine - although the Oregon 91PX cutters are too short.

I'm sure it's a little faster when it's sharp, but I prefer semi chisel for the cutting I do. And I'm done ordering chain and paying shipping charges if I can at all avoid it. That leaves Oregon and TriLink, and sometimes Carlton, all of which work fine - although the Oregon 91PX cutters are too short.
I know what you mean, I am not a chisel only guy. In .325 I prefer BPX semi chisel. However, in low profile the difference is just tooooooo much to ignore. Now if I was cutting extremely dirty wood I would use semi chisel.
With the exception of Picco PS, Stihl chain is way over priced. It isn't that much better than others.

What is the best 30cc chainsaw? I need something to small carry with me on my side by side to clear limbs or small logs blown across trails. My local dealer has a Stihl ms170 on sale for $159.o0. I like Stihl just wondering if there are any better options.
Worth looking at the Echo CS-310.

I really like my Stihl 192( rear handle version) great little limbing and trail saw. Mine is always on my wheeler.

As always dependent on the type/condition of the wood being cut, but in clean wood I would say the Stihl PS 3/8 x 1.3 yellow link leads the way by a fair margin, the last lots of Oregon 91VXL chains have been Very variable quality ranging from Crap to OK, in our area they have reintroduced Windsor brand chains/kit which seems better than Oregon although it's probably produced in the same factory & as the price is almost on par it's a no brainer

echo cs3000, it just doesn't quit
im trying to break it but just keeps going on and on....
i own 2, tried to fry 1 with noodling but it got overheat and escaped the guillotine with carb kit lol
ms170 is useless junk according to my dealer, too many problems
he says it doesnt run right with no reason

Latest posts

Back