Best 30cc Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS3 has the safety hump, regular PS is what you want. For some reason it's not listed on Stihl's website.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

They list the 63PS over here, but not in the US or Canada - maybe they just don't want to sell it in North America, or just don't want to advertise it?

You want the full chisel. Although semi chisel will hold it's edge a little longer.

Depends on how the wood is of course, but I basically agree. I keep some semi chisel around just in case I run across some "dirty" wood, but it seldom gets used for anything but cutting up planks, pallets etc.

I'm not at all sure on chisel versus semi chisel. I sharpen every couple tanks of gas and change chains after every full day of cutting; are those realistic operating procedures? I'm cutting white oak mainly.

I'm not at all sure on chisel versus semi chisel. I sharpen every couple tanks of gas and change chains after every full day of cutting; are those realistic operating procedures? I'm cutting white oak mainly.

Sharpening every couple of tanks sounds reasonable, but there shouldn't be a reason to change the chain after just one day?

How often you sharpen depends on the wood of course (mainly how clean it is) - but do it well before it gets really dull.

What do you mean by "change chain"?

Sharpening every couple of tanks sounds reasonable, but there shouldn't be a reason to change the chain after just one day?

How often you sharpen depends on the wood of course (mainly how clean it is) - but do it well before it gets really dull.

What do you mean by "change chain"?

Swap out the chain for a one not used recently that is sharp. If the chains get crusted by wood/sap/etc, I'll toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner and then sharpen/reoil.

Stihl claims that the PS3 will hold up better than RM3.

The couple of comparisons that I have seen, PS3 was faster than PS. For someone new to a chainsaw PS3 would be a better choice than PS especially since it will be going on a small saw and they will be limbing with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm not limbing much except when the tree is on the ground but I've read that semi chisel stays sharper longer and I would prefer that.

The couple of comparisons that I have seen, PS3 was faster than PS. For someone new to a chainsaw PS3 would be a better choice than PS especially since it will be going on a small saw and they will be limbing with it.

That surely is some odd comparison results/statements, that defeats logic....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
PS and PS3 are the same, PS3 simply has a ramp link.

I'm not limbing much except when the tree is on the ground but I've read that semi chisel stays sharper longer and I would prefer that.

That has been my experience, with full-size 3/8" pitch chains, much longer in fact in clean wood. Once full-chisel starts to dull, it can be like someone hit a switch and it just makes dust & heat. (Not much call here for timed cookie-cutting.)
Whatever the chain, in clean wood, the edge starts to go away about the end of the second tankful on a strato saw, about 1.5 hr runtime. Guided filing of a stroke or two per cutter and all is well again. It's all about KEEPING chain sharp, for extended cutting, no?

Back